Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wearing Gloves?

Do many people wear gloves while shooting handguns in competition or 3-Gun competition? Is it allowed? There seems like there would be some advantages to wearing the right kind of gloves once someone got used to them including grip, abrasion protection, possibly protection from "pinching", etc. They are also commonly used in jobs (military, LEOs, etc.) that wear gloves while shooting so there is that relationship.

I know the knee-jerk response I want to give is "no way" but the more I think about it, the more it seems like it will become common (or perhaps more common) unless the practice is prohibited.

The reason I ask this is because gloves were historically eschewed in golf. Slowly some mavericks proved their worth, although some still declined. Golf glove use in baseball was even slower. First no gloves, then one glove, now usually two gloves today. What do you think?

You might be on to something. The OJMJ set...one thin white one for finess operations and one rugged black one for more rough tasks. :ph34r:

I know a few guys who use them for pistol, more who use them when shotgun is involved. Usually, it is too hot for them to benefit me. I do carry a golf Glove for an occasional shotgun stage, and a set of work gloves for resetting stages.

It's all about the timer.....until someone wearing gloves is able to show that any of the tasks we do in 3 gun are faster with the clock there will not be much change.

The nature of gloves is that they offer protection at the expense of dexterity. There are a few times shooting a match where protection may offer a benefit over the loss of dexterity however on the whole, decreasing dexterity will result in being slower, less accurate, etc.

Edited by smokshwn

Do many people wear gloves while shooting handguns in competition or 3-Gun competition? Is it allowed? There seems like there would be some advantages to wearing the right kind of gloves once someone got used to them including grip, abrasion protection, possibly protection from "pinching", etc. They are also commonly used in jobs (military, LEOs, etc.) that wear gloves while shooting so there is that relationship.

Military/LEO wear gloves to literally protect their hands and it really has nothing to do with shooting. There are some gloves marketed to be more shooter friendly or even as "shooting gloves" but ultimately it's about protection. Generally speaking for the military side it's to protect hands from burns and cuts. Weapons in the direct sun for extended periods can get up to 140 degrees, not to mention the threat of sharp objects, explosives, incendiary devices etc and general "I'm stupid" type accidents that soldiers like to get into.

I find gloves cause a loss in dexterity and feeling resulting in an inconsistent grip. It doesn't seem to effect rifles nearly as much as pistols. With that said it's still absolutely possible to shoot well with gloves, but I personally don't think it's particularly beneficial. Try it both ways for a while and see what works for you. If gloves help then go for it.

Edited by Lee G

Hi, Hotchkiss! No, you probably won't see gloves used very often. But, at one of the more extreme 3 gun matches I've shot, the ITRC, we did use gloves. Because, after 300 rounds of handgun in under ten minutes, the pistols literally were to hot to touch. Doc's fiber optic front sight even melted on his STI, and the carbines got pretty warm too. But, normally, people won't use them. I don't think there are any rules against it, but dexterity is the big trade-off.

I ended up putting on a pair at our last match as I sliced the lower palm of my left hand open - my grips, VZ Operator 2s - are pretty rough and they kept opening the wound. Did the gloves make shooting more comfortable/enjoyable? Heck yes. But the tradeoff? Let's just say that on one stage the glove material was too much for me to disengage the thumb safety and it did cost me a few seconds to readjust. But hey, at least I wasn't coating my STI in blood... B)

I wear a glove on my left hand most of the time when shooting 3 gun since the shotgun gets plenty hot. It also works great for getting into or out of prone on rough surfaces. I've cut myself a few times not wearing one.

It also gives pretty good protection from hot gasses and muzzle blast......

I am hoping NOT to have to find out this weekend. Somehow managed to grab the muffler on the mower yesterday and am shooting the ProAm this weekend. Iced it quickly and only have blisters on a small part of the palm, thumb and 2 fingers so I am hoping it will be OK without a glove or anything.

I used too. when I'd load shotgun strong hand, and rolled the 1100 on my left.. it helped not get burned.

Now, loading weak handed, there's no need. (and now would hurt loading times for me)

I sometimes see new shooters wearing them, for a match or 2.. then never again...

I wear a glove on my left hand most of the time when shooting 3 gun since the shotgun gets plenty hot. It also works great for getting into or out of prone on rough surfaces. I've cut myself a few times not wearing one.

It also gives pretty good protection from hot gasses and muzzle blast......

That's some interesting feedback, thanks...

I have never witnessed anyone shoot USPSA wearing gloves.

I shoot with somebody at my club who always wears gloves, and, here in California, it's not the cold that makes him do it.

It floats his boat, not mine.

Still, it might be an interesting thing to try in an IDPA scenario. I'm talking regular gloves, though, designed for warmth, not sport.

I'LL wear on one my support hand when shooting a revolver to cut back on the heat from the top strap area..not with the 38 as much when shooting the 625 at 170 PF when things heat up..use the thin biker gloves.

During the winter(Arizona winter) I wear cold weather golf gloves when I shoot handgun and 3gun. There isn't much loss in tactile feedback due to the nature of golf gloves. The gloves are definitely an advantage when the slight bit of extra bulk is faster then cold non-functioning knuckles/hands/fingers. I actually sanded the glove finger where the trigger rests paper thin to keep trigger feedback optimized. I did try about five pairs of tactical/shooting gloves and all of them hindered movement and grip except for the golf gloves. I couldn't find any baseball or football gloves that fit me properly to even bother trying them and bicycling gloves have pads in the palm which would interfere with proper grip. I love watching everybody else being "shooting tough" and cold especially their botched reloads and magazine drops because of frozen hands. You can keep your hands in your pockets all you want but as soon as you have to make ready that ice cold gun starts working your hands over and your dexterity is out the window.

My wife is pretty tiny and has delicate hands, she does wear a baseball glove on her weak hand for handgun. This allows her to rack the slide far easier as she gets a better grip and the serrations don't hurt her.

The rest of the year I don't wear gloves unless the gun is going to get really hot.

During the winter(Arizona winter) I wear cold weather golf gloves when I shoot handgun and 3gun. There isn't much loss in tactile feedback due to the nature of golf gloves. The gloves are definitely an advantage when the slight bit of extra bulk is faster then cold non-functioning knuckles/hands/fingers. I actually sanded the glove finger where the trigger rests paper thin to keep trigger feedback optimized. I did try about five pairs of tactical/shooting gloves and all of them hindered movement and grip except for the golf gloves. I couldn't find any baseball or football gloves that fit me properly to even bother trying them and bicycling gloves have pads in the palm which would interfere with proper grip. I love watching everybody else being "shooting tough" and cold especially their botched reloads and magazine drops because of frozen hands. You can keep your hands in your pockets all you want but as soon as you have to make ready that ice cold gun starts working your hands over and your dexterity is out the window.

My wife is pretty tiny and has delicate hands, she does wear a baseball glove on her weak hand for handgun. This allows her to rack the slide far easier as she gets a better grip and the serrations don't hurt her.

The rest of the year I don't wear gloves unless the gun is going to get really hot.

Your comments make a great deal of sense. I suspect glove use will grow in the coming years. Thanks for your input.

Don't see it. Plus I don't see it happening. Our sport (shooting handguns accurately at speed) starts with the grip. Anything between the skin and grip(glove) would hinder that connection. IMHO

Actually that's one place where a gloved hand is clearly superior -- be it in golf, baseball, football, etc.

Good insight. I see guys wearing mechanic's gloves while shooting. Such gloves are typically made to be super-tough even at the cost of tactile feedback. Baseball batting gloves are less rugged and have better tactile feedback. Well-fitting golf gloves seem to be the best for tactile feedback and the least rugged.

Don't see it. Plus I don't see it happening. Our sport (shooting handguns accurately at speed) starts with the grip. Anything between the skin and grip(glove) would hinder that connection. IMHO

Actually that's one place where a gloved hand is clearly superior -- be it in golf, baseball, football, etc.

You're not manipulating relatively tiny controls with one finger in those sports, though. Pulling a 2 pound trigger (and a lot of other things we have to do to run a pistol) requires a level of dexterity that's just not necessary when swinging a stick or grasping a ball.

You're not manipulating relatively tiny controls with one finger in those sports, though. Pulling a 2 pound trigger (and a lot of other things we have to do to run a pistol) requires a level of dexterity that's just not necessary when swinging a stick or grasping a ball.

I was responding specifically to the matter of "grip" not tactile feedback.

I have no problem manipulating my 2 pound trigger with the right gloves on. Sanding the trigger finger of the golf glove down did make a small difference in feel. A trigger isn't a fine control like a small dial, or screwing on a small threaded part, it's just a lever. Yes, feedback is needed but not to a super fine level. I manipulate small threaded parts everyday and find it much easier wearing nitrile gloves then barehanded. Also, if the nitrile gloves wouldn't wear so quickly on the grips and controls they provide a much better grip on a gun then barehanded. Granted the golf gloves are thick enough to interfere with screwing on small threaded parts but their palms and fingers give very good feedback as club feedback is very crucial. YMMV but I do find mag changes to feel more solid with the golf gloves and after a couple minutes of practice there is no speed difference during warm weather. Hence, in cold weather, my mag changes are much faster then if my fingers are cold. Same thing with my draw. The glove does need to be a perfect fit with no bagginess at the tip of the finger. I will probably try some of the lycra/nylon handling gloves with nitrile palms and fingers for 3gun next. I am hoping they will take just enough of the heat away and no dexterity, we will see. I think the main reason gloves will take a long time to become a standard part of shooting is finding gloves which fit the same for all seasons won't happen for a long time. As most people only shoot in nice weather gloves usually aren't needed/crucial. Living here in AZ has it's advantages, I think I missed shooting 2 weeks out of 52 last year. Rain or shine it goes on. We actually continued shooting during that big dust storm a week or two ago, it sucked :cheers:

edited for some of the typos

Edited by carbon9

Reading this, I realize I wear gloves a lot.

I have about an hour a day of total commute time, where I am wearing gloves on the bike. Usually mechanics gloves.

And, I spend many hours in latex gloves during the week.

The only reason that I'd wear gloves while shooting a pistol match...is to get time in with the gun and gloves...since I wear them so often while away from the range.

It is a good idea to take a pair of mechanics gloves with you to matches though. They are nice to wear during setup and tear down...and good to throw on when you aren't shooting , but are resetting steel (mud, lead dust. etc.).