Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM our Lone wolf on my 34?

Glockdirtyfour

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run KKM Barrels in both my 34 and 35. Thousands of lead rounds through both barrels with no problems. They are SLIGHTLY more accurate than the factory barrels (from the 25 and 50 yard barricade). There is not much difference in the accuracy at normal IDPA/ USPSA ranges. Just keep those factory barrels CLEAN!

have a LW in my G35 limited...accurate and runs great. would def get another. If memory serves me right when i did my research years ago i thought i came across info stating KKM made LW's barrels for LW?????

• 8 months later...

Hi

I am looking to do a drop in barrel upgrade on my glock 34. How would you compare the lone wolf vs KKM in accuracy and grouping and quality? Also what type of gains from going with one of these aftermarket barrels compared to the stock one? I do plan on GTAW and machining it down for tighter barrel lock up. Has anyone tested both back to back before?

Thanks.

If your going to do a barrel swap, Throw in a Bar Sto. No sense in going half way. Bar Sto accuracy and quality are hard to touch. They are certainly better than Wolf or KKM.

Hi

I am looking to do a drop in barrel upgrade on my glock 34. How would you compare the lone wolf vs KKM in accuracy and grouping and quality? Also what type of gains from going with one of these aftermarket barrels compared to the stock one? I do plan on GTAW and machining it down for tighter barrel lock up. Has anyone tested both back to back before?

Thanks.

If your going to do a barrel swap, Throw in a Bar Sto. No sense in going half way. Bar Sto accuracy and quality are hard to touch. They are certainly better than Wolf or KKM.

Why do you say this? I'm considering putting an aftermarket barrel in my Glock 34 right now. I have used Bar Sto and Kart for 1911's; got better results from Kart. Don't really want to do discovery learning with the glock.

I have been doing the same research for my incoming G35. I want to shoot lead, and the lead buildup issue seems to be very dependent on lead hardness and velocity. Rather than take the risk of damaging the gun, I will get a KKM barrel and open up the chamber so I can use the same longer-than-factory loads I use in my SV Limited gun.

I just started reloading with coated lead in my G34. The stock barrely would lead up in less than 50 rounds so, I replaced it with a Lone Wolf. I have to say that lockup is great and the gun just runs smoother than it does with the stock barrel. I shot a league last nigh and it appears to be very accurate. So far, I am very pleased with the LW.

Hi

Thanks.

Why do you say this? I'm considering putting an aftermarket barrel in my Glock 34 right now. I have used Bar Sto and Kart for 1911's; got better results from Kart. Don't really want to do discovery learning with the glock.

Every really accurate pistol I have had/ shot all had Bar-Sto barrels in them. But, I guess the big thing is how good of a shot are you. The BarSto barrels are used in all the one off pistols for the USMC for the MEU(SOC) and shooting team pistols and they are hard to beat for accuracy. If there is any fitting needed that can be done by a good machinist or BarSto. Granted if you have a decent glock barrel you can get sub 2 inch groups out of a stock glock with the right ammo. I am averaging abour 2.5 with random combinations on my stock barrel. Best is about 1.75 (one was 1.51 but wasn't repeatable). There isn't really discovery learning, the barrel twist is slower, so if your shooting 160 grains now it might make a difference. But I shoot 147s and 125's and they both are money, I can take random jacketed bullets and most powders and still come up with 2.75 or less with some powder charge and bullet testing. When the rain lets up I am doing more lead 147 grain accuracy testing/ stock barrel. But if your going to buy a barrel, jump in and get the best.

0326-

Thanks for explaining your rationale. I sure a heck can't get any glock that shots sub 3 inch groups at 50 yards. The will hold the black on a bullseye target if I am lucky. That, and shooting lead, are the reason I am thinking about a new barrel. I am probably an average shooter, ranked expert by the Army and NRA conventional pistol. Don't think Gunny Zins is too worried about me getting in his way.

Thanks again,

-John

...I will get a KKM barrel and open up the chamber so I can use the same longer-than-factory loads I use in my SV Limited gun.

Some aftermkt bbls have tighter chambers which may cause feeding issues if your reloads are over SAAMI spec in case diameter, or if you haven't taken out all the flare at the case mouth, but I think overlength loads mainly need a longer leade (the rifling free portion of the bore directly in front of the chamber) because of binding on the ogive with the start of the rifling. The only way I can think that a long round would have trouble with a tight chamber is if it is critical to break over as the round feeds, and I don't think that happens much. :unsure:

Edited by kevin c

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If one could get a bullet cast from sand to load into a casing, a stock Glock would shoot it.

Ok, prolly a little overboard with that, but I don't see a point in a barrel change out for PRO division. If you MUST change it put, go with the KKM, but it won't turn your gun into a tack driver.

My 34 was very accurate with the stock barrel and jacketed bullets. Once I started shooting lead, the accuracy suffered a little, but not really enough to worry me. My problem was every so often I would have one keyhole, so I bought a KKM from shooter's connection. The accuracy with my cast bullets is now as good as it was with the stock/jacketed combo. If you aren't shooting lead, I would stay with stock.

There are a lot of threads on here about this. (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3148)

I can just tell you that I have run MO Bullet lead for about a year now through my G35 & G23 bbls. I have no issues.

I think that I don't have any issues because I run a bore snake and lead remover with a bore brush after a match or a practice session (few hundred rounds or so). It is possible to run into problems if you don't clean your bbl and lead starts building up inside the bbl.

Because of the perceived lead issue with glock bbls, I too went the LW bbl route. I found the chamber to tight for reliable loading/cycling just like others. But at the same time, if you are shooting 'glocked' brass through a non glock bbl, you will always have issues. there are many solutions to this, i.e. Lee Bulge Buster, Redding Gr-X, etc....

Bottom line: run a clean bbl, don't let lead build up inside the bbl.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

KKM the way to go and that based on recomendations of most shooters I talk to.

On the other hand just to be fair for LW we did a test.

On my G35 gen 4 for some reason I went with LW conversion to 9 mm and a friend have G34 gen 4 with KKM 9 mm installed, using the same load both pistol have The same DP front and rear sight from sand bags on the bench 25 yard both shoot the same under 2 to 2.5".

Also both were easy to clean after the same amount of rounds fired.

Just like Krieger or Obermeyer rifle barrels both are top notch, bottom line is who cut the chamber, threaded, crown and the fit to the action.

I hope I did not offend any one with the above.