Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124gr production powder . . .

Pro2AInPA

I'm trying to find a powder to use with 124gr Montana Golds. I've tried TG and WSF and didn't like the recoil impulse from either of those. Any other viable options? Maybe 231 or Clays?

Although . . could the problem be that I've been shooting open all year and have grown so used to the gun not moving when fired?

My production gun is a M&P Pro.

Edited to add: Please don't say switch to 147's. I have almost two cases of 124s to shoot.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I shoot open to. I'm with you on TiteGroup, and I've tried WST (231's twin) and a few others. Get some N320 dump about 4.0gr in and stuff that MTG 124 in there at about 1.145 and you will like it. Its not cheap but it is the best thing I've found for 9 mm minor 124gr. Clays is nice and soft as well but the accuracy sucks. N320 is nice and clean, very slight temp sensativity, very accurate.

Now if you want somthing you can shoot in your open gun and a Production gun try 5.2gr of AutoComp with that 124gr MTG or 5.6 with a 115. This is what all the smart guys are running in their steel masters for minor. It will pitch a bit more than the N320, in a prodution gun.

I shot my SS 45 with factory ball last weekend, now that has a bit more flip than the open gun, but 9 mm give me a break, ooh, I shoot a CZ Shadow, all that metal just absorbs the recoil and flip.

ok, to be fair, in the plastic realm the M&P Pro is the one I like the best.

Edited by CocoBolo

The softest load out of my XDm 9mm is a MG 124FMJ over 4.7gr of WSF loaded to 1.154" with a CCI small pistol primer.

Did you chrono it?

Sorry I should have included that. I did chrono it and it averaged 133PF.

Thanks for the info. I tried 5.0gr of WSF and didn't like the feel, but didn't have time to chrono. I'll try your 4.7gr load.

I started with 231 in 124gr. 9mm. It felt nice and was accurate for me, but was just very messy. I would not really care about the messiness except the grit kept getting in the trigger/connector area and made my trigger feel like shit a fee stages into a match.

I have since moved onto Titegroup. I know you are not a fan, but I find it to be a great powder.

I like Solo 1000 for the recoil impulse in minor nine. Loaded some Red Dot in minor nine the last time just because I had it. Worked very well fairly clean, liked the impulse and grouped, came back and loaded some more. 3.7gns with 135 lead bullet.

231 is the old work horse but dirty, I would try a cleaner powder with the Montana Gold bullets, N320 if you need to purchase powder.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I shoot open to. I'm with you on TiteGroup, and I've tried WST (231's twin) and a few others. Get some N320 dump about 4.0gr in and stuff that MTG 124 in there at about 1.145 and you will like it. Its not cheap but it is the best thing I've found for 9 mm minor 124gr. Clays is nice and soft as well but the accuracy sucks. N320 is nice and clean, very slight temp sensativity, very accurate.

Now if you want somthing you can shoot in your open gun and a Production gun try 5.2gr of AutoComp with that 124gr MTG or 5.6 with a 115. This is what all the smart guys are running in their steel masters for minor. It will pitch a bit more than the N320, in a prodution gun.

I shot my SS 45 with factory ball last weekend, now that has a bit more flip than the open gun, but 9 mm give me a break, ooh, I shoot a CZ Shadow, all that metal just absorbs the recoil and flip.

ok, to be fair, in the plastic realm the M&P Pro is the one I like the best.

I bumped my production load up to 4.1 of 320, behind a Zero, 125 grain jhp so it will run in my open gun, as well as my M&P Pro. Chronos about 1070 fps. A LOT softer than Titegroup. :cheers:

The BEST powder for 9mm production is Vihtavuori N320 hands down, but supply is hard to locate at times. If you find it, get a 4 lb can. Next up for me was Titegroup. I did not like it. It burned too hot and accuracy was affected negatively when loading light. It was also very dirty, especially with light loads. Then I tried IMR SR7625 which was recommended by a local GM. I like it! 7625 fills the case nicely to avoid double charges. Titegroup does not. 7625 does not burn "hot" like Titegroup. I found the accuracy very good. I can not tell the difference between N320 and 7625. N320 is more consistent through the chrono with tight standard deviations. I routinely get SDs of 5 to 11 with N320. 7625 gives me SDs of 12 to 20.

IMR SR7625 4.6 to 4.7 grains

AOL 1.150

Federal small pistol primers

Montana Gold 124 CMJ

power factor 130ish

XDM 4.5 inch barrel

N320 4.2 grains

AOL 1.150

Federal SPP

Montana Gold 124 CMJ

Power factor 131 ish.

XDM 4.5 inch barrel

I would like a third load for 9mm MG 124 CMJs, so I scour this great forum waiting for the experimental urge to strike me! I want a load that proves consistency through the chrono with great accuracy and a soft feel,,, and Titegroup is not it.

Edited by Red Ryder

I was looking for a better Production/low PF powder last year and did the same you as - researched it here. I tried several powders and just did not like anything until G-man turned me onto N320. I ordered a 4lb can of that and I will probably never look back. It has every quality you could ask for in Production and Limited. As mentioned here, it's hard to get and expensive but well worth it. Everywhere I looked today, the 4lb can is out. You can get a pound of it from PV or Sinclair just to try out, may be even more expensive that way but you are not stuck with 4lb of something you might not like.

My load for my 9Pro is (don't quote me, I'm not at home looking at my books) 4.1 N320, 1.13, using a MG 124 CMJ.

n320: 4.0 grs under a Zero 125 JHP or MG 124 CMJ out of a 4.72" CZ bbl. 132-ish PF

231/Hp38 won't run clean or accurate that slow in my pistol

Edited by 1SOW

N320 is it. But as mentioned before, too hard to get, too expensive at almost twice the price of most other brands. I use universal clays right now. But I'm considering trying out Solo 1000. I've been hearing good things about it from shooters better than me.