Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disqualified at Ky State 3Gun Match

I had a decent match going until my disqualification. The stages looked challenging, but I missed out due to my DQ. Watch my short match video and think about discarding shotgun techniques. The DQ happens on the third stage. Are there any grounding in barrel techniques I should follow. The gun was empty with bolt locked back.

I heard about that yesterday- Damn pistol grip!

Nice of you to post video of it, to remind others.

Did that bald guy from Tennessee with the funny limp leave you "yankees" alone for the match. I have heard stories about them corrupting young impressionable shooters back at the hotel the night

before the match :cheers:

I just watched your video. I am not a 3-gun guy, never shot it before, just seen videos of it, don't know the rules. Why were you not stopped immediately when the shotgun clearly broke the 180 and possibly swept the RO in the process? Not trying to start anything here, just curious and trying to learn a little about the sport. DQ's suck, learn from them and move on.

Tom

I heard about that yesterday- Damn pistol grip!

Nice of you to post video of it, to remind others.

Did that bald guy from Tennessee with the funny limp leave you "yankees" alone for the match. I have heard stories about them corrupting young impressionable shooters back at the hotel the night

before the match :cheers:

I was already corrupt, you should know that! :roflol:

I just watched your video. I am not a 3-gun guy, never shot it before, just seen videos of it, don't know the rules. Why were you not stopped immediately when the shotgun clearly broke the 180 and possibly swept the RO in the process? Not trying to start anything here, just curious and trying to learn a little about the sport. DQ's suck, learn from them and move on.

Tom

just a guess but because the RO knew the gun was empty, and he did try to get the shotgun in the barrel they let him finish the stage and called the M.D. over to be sure of the call. but just a guess.

I had a decent match going until my disqualification. The stages looked challenging, but I missed out due to my DQ. Watch my short match video and think about discarding shotgun techniques. The DQ happens on the third stage. Are there any grounding in barrel techniques I should follow. The gun was empty with bolt locked back.

You dropped/threw the SG into the barrel, instead of putting it in... :(

Also, it may not have happened (it will happen much less) if dump barrels are stood up vertical instead of mounted tilted. I have been preaching this for quite a while...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

After watching the video it looks to me the shotgun barrel hit the bottom of the barrel and made the gun bounce out and not the stock. It looks like you thorw it in the barrel (to hard in the short barrel)which caused it to bounce out. And the RO should have stopped you went the gun came out. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, put it all the way in the barrel!!

Within any match I've shot, more shooters have earned themselves a DQ for grounding issues than anything else. The extra .5 seconds to make sure it's safely grounded is worth it. You're a quick enough learner that I know you picked up a valuable lesson.

And JJ is right, vertical barrels help avoid some of these issues.

Within any match I've shot, more shooters have earned themselves a DQ for grounding issues than anything else. The extra .5 seconds to make sure it's safely grounded is worth it. You're a quick enough learner that I know you picked up a valuable lesson.

And JJ is right, vertical barrels help avoid some of these issues.

Yup, I've told people I do both of the things below and I'll keep doing them until I lose a good finish based on the cumulative 5-8 seconds it takes me to do the following on every stage:

Place every firearm in a drop box using both hands and not let go until it has touched the ground.

Make every firearm unloaded AND on safe so that if I screw one up, the other is still done.

It takes time to do those two things but if you multiply that time times 11 stages; it's worth doing especially when you add in a $300 plane ticket or some serious match grade ammo and a match fee.

Edited by DyNo!

I like the unloaded tip. Especially for pistols with thumb safeties. I will be using that from now on. Stage 1 was my last stage of the match. As I dumped the pistol into the drop box, I felt the saftey click OFF. Before my hand left the gun I was able to sweep the safety back on without loosing any time. That would have sucked to not catch it. Pistols unload so fast that the insurance of empty gun is worth it and I'll be doing that from now on.

The RO did a visual check of the gun before I picked it up to clear it too. He would have caught it if I hadn't.

This match was so much fun. I got some learnin' to do with my rifle. Although I had a solid zero for 200, I shot low everywhere all day. I think I would have shot much much better with my iron sight set up. Oh well, gotta learn to shoot with glass sometime I guess.

Sorry for the topic drift, forgot which thread I was posting in.

Bummer for TJ. I watched it happen.

Edited by want2race

teejay, thanks for sharing the videos. I've seen this happen once with an angled dump barrel that was a bit short. With the weight of an unloaded shot gun being mostly in the stock end half, the shotgun ended up with the stock on the ground and the barrel still inside the mouth of the dump barrel.

Also, it may not have happened (it will happen much less) if dump barrels are stood up vertical instead of mounted tilted.

I agree.

Place every firearm in a drop box using both hands and not let go until it has touched the ground.

Make every firearm unloaded AND on safe so that if I screw one up, the other is still done.

It takes time to do those two things but if you multiply that time times 11 stages; it's worth doing especially when you add in a $300 plane ticket or some serious match grade ammo and a match fee.

Good point. And an unloaded firearm cannot have an accidental discharge should one screw up. Think about the liabilties if someone was to get hit...a possible lawsuit, possible criminal charges, and your conscious.

I'm starting to see more people dumping their firearms as fast as they could, and some of them are down right scary. Lets face it, most people have modified their guns to be a little more competitive. And some of this modifications sacrifices a bit of the safety mechanism of the firearms.

Let this video be a lesson to those who have not experienced this, have not been around an accidental discharge, have not have to look down the receiving end of a loaded firearm, or have not seen a live person get shot. I hope you never do. Those that have will all tell you it is not joy what so ever.

TeeJay,

Stuff happens-you took the DQ with style and grace and you left with a good looking girl. All things considered, you did ok.

Dave

I left w/ 3 stinky guys......

I'd call you the winner!!

I actually think the dump barrel should be a bit longer to avoid that sort of thing. Our barrels are full size drums placed vertical so there isn't any issue with a gun bouncing out. We did have some guys learn the hard way about tossing pistols on the slippery table.

I actually think the dump barrel should be a bit longer to avoid that sort of thing. Our barrels are full size drums placed vertical so there isn't any issue with a gun bouncing out. We did have some guys learn the hard way about tossing pistols on the slippery table.

+1. He never stood a chance with that barrel. It didn't have to bounce too far before it hit the ground.

Stage designs that invite DQable things happening are extremely dangerous. There's no doubt that competitors are responsible for their equipment, but that barrel, with its angle and insufficient depth, was an accident waiting to happen.

I agree the barrel wasnt great. I agree some stages/barrels are more of an unnecessary risk than others. Shot one stage recently that was kind of an accident waiting to happen I thought. 18 shotgun targets then go to pistol. Sounds easy enough shoot 9 on 1 side, load 9 shoot 9 on the other. The last shot was a popper that activated a sliding target that went out of view. Problem I saw was to get the target to avoid penalties it was shoot and toss the gun in the barrel and it has to be empty since there really wasnt enough time to get safety on and draw and hit the target. If your 8+1 and you dont miss you KNOW your out of rounds on a semi. On a gun with less than that or you miss you might have that extra round in there when you shoot the last target. Also there is the chance of it hanging up on the barrel catcing on something and earn a trip home.Great match but that one shot kinda had me a litte uneasy .

Thanks ya'll for the laughs and encouragement. I have the HD video and can easily see that the pistol grip can't reach the barrel lip due to a shallow barrel and longer shotgun length. After being DQed I tried the barrel several times with an ECI in gun. It was VERY easy to get the bounce back. I think most competitors used a different discard barrel due to stage strategy. 2 matches ago I learned that my AR with the big stick won't fit into discard barrels so I have been unloading AR's on discard. Handguns are very easy to unload in a hurry, so I'll add that to my list of things I do. Shotguns aren't easy to fully unload. I usually have an extra shell and don't run empty.

The other part leading to my rushed discard, was 1 match ago. The match had a shotgun shot to activate a quick mover that had to be engaged with a handgun. The speed transition paid off that time while encouraging more speed in the future. I am now thankful and much the wiser.

I should have been stopped as soon as the gun hit the ground. I also broke the 180 picking the gun up. I was going home for sure that day. The RO's due their best. I think I surprised them with speed during the pick up and replace. That left them speechless, lol.

I think the name for the barrels should be discard barrel instead of dump barrel. This may encourage a warning about the higher risk portion of a stage.

Take care.

We like to call them "Abandonment Barrels" for long guns, and "Abandonment Buckets" for pistols.

BOTH long guns and pistols should be abandon empty or on safe, MUZZLE DOWN in a appropriately sized VERTICALLY MOUNTED barrel or bucket. Line the barrel/bucket BOTTOM only with CARDBOARD only (carpet or foam will melt to the HOT gun), and put a brace in the uprange side of the pistol bucket for the trigger guard to rest on, creating a muzzle "pocket", so the pistol stays vertical.

see this discussion, and my photo in post #17;

Abandonment discussion

This stuff has been discussed for quite a while many times. Bottom line is, until people figure out their cute boxes, ramps, "in-boxes" for pistols lined with carpet, tilted barrels lined with foam and carpet, etc, are simply NOT SAFE or foolproof, we will continue to reinvent the wheel. The work that people put into these items is astounding... :surprise:

...espcially when a simple barrel with the top CUT OFF fastened down VERTICALLY for long guns, or a bucket/pail/small plastic trashcan fastened down VERTICALLY with a trigger guard brace that holds the gun VERTICAL is the safest and most foolproof items to ABANDON hot guns into during a multi-gun course of fire...

spread the word? :huh:

jj

Usually on shotgun If I plan one spare round, on the last target a quick double tap is done. Ya we were all very gental on placing the shotgun after that. At least the camera moved and the gun fire started again so the oh craps, that sucks etc from the peanut gallery were not on the tape