Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS MULTIGUN 2012

f) Not more than nine rounds total may be loaded at the beginning of any stage, unless otherwise

stipulated in the stage briefing

Am I reading this right that guys in tactical have to starrt with 9 rounds but may load more after the buzzer. Thanks this question is for a friend of mine.

pat

So can we load past the div capacity after the buzzer or not?

Yes, unless Lee steps in and corrects me. Rule 6.3.3 (f) reads "Not more than nine rounds total may be loaded at the beginning of any stage, unless otherwise

stipulated in the stage briefing" (I added the underline for emphasis).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

swandme...my wife is Polish. You're out of the match.

as am I; Feel free to have her cook up some pierogis for me.

Mike, you're not alone! What is your favaorite pierogi?

Been Driving for 28 hours and throughout the Tornados on Sat. Thank the Lord we got down in one piece\. Sorry I missed the Pierogi Potato Bacon are my favorite....

f) Not more than nine rounds total may be loaded at the beginning of any stage, unless otherwise

Am I reading this right that guys in tactical have to starrt with 9 rounds but may load more after the buzzer. Thanks this question is for a friend of mine.

pat

Yes, unless Lee steps in and corrects me. Rule 6.3.3 (f) reads "Not more than nine rounds total may be loaded at the beginning of any stage, unless otherwise

Here we are on the eve of the event reading the rules for the first time. I like the open shotgun rules, no limit on the number of rounds on the start, ok 14 sounds good. :devil:

Target scoring, wow now that could be interesting, slow a bit make all a's save ammo and time, it is worth the risk. :devil:

pat

Here we are on the eve of the event reading the rules for the first time. I like the open shotgun rules, no limit on the number of rounds on the start, ok 14 sounds good. :devil:

Target scoring, wow now that could be interesting, slow a bit make all a's save ammo and time, it is worth the risk. :devil:

Rules have been on the web site since January. Posted recently was the final revision as well as the FAQ.

I read the rules but it is unclear if I can use a non-magnifying optic and backup iron sights. Can I use standard irons co-witnessed with a 1x optic?

Thanks!

It does not say "Thou shall not". However, co-witnessed sights are not faster and if you can easily remove the rear (and/or front) then you will be better off for this match. Before anyone asks, angled backup irons are not prohibited, although these make more sense for Tactical or Tac Heavy with a magnified scope.

pat

Regarding shotgun capacity:

Open is Open. Depending on the stage, shotgun starts may be chamber empty or chamber loaded (listen to the stage briefing/read the stage description).

Limited, Tac, and Tac Heavy start with 9. If you want to load more after the buzzer, fine. Depending on the stage, shotgun starts may be chamber empty or chamber loaded (listen to the stage briefing/read the stage description). If you have a 9 round mag tube, you are better off, because if COF starts with chamber empty, you got 9, whereas somebody with an 8 round tube only has 8.

WW2 magazine capacity is 6. 6+1 at start is fine, means topping off at Make Ready. All shotgun starts are chamber loaded in WW2.

Please note 2.7.1.b:

A course of fire must never require or allow a participant to touch or hold a firearm loading device or ammunition after the “Standby” command and before the “Start Signal” (except for unavoidable touching with the lower arms).

Also, please remember that when shotguns are pre-loaded, the chamber must be empty. Walking up to the line with a shell in the chamber is a DQ. Happened last year.

Lee

"Not more than one (1) non-magnified electronic or optical sight is permitted. Electronic or optical sights originally designed to be capable of any magnification (whether used or not) are prohibited."

I know that a dot has the edge over irons up close but for the long shots I am much more comfortable with the irons. I get that an electronic sight is the 1x red dot but the term "optical sight" is throwing me off...all sights are optical so I assume that means no irons with a dot. I "think" last year you could have irons with a 1x dot but don't know for sure. And...if irons are not allowed with a 1x optic then the next question is can we use the red dot with the BUIS down and remove the red dot and raise the BUIS for a stage and then switch back? And...to your point...if I remove the rear BUIS and the front iron is still there, is that a second "Optical Sight?" Also, while I am not shooting an A2, the rule would eliminate those using an A2 upper with a rail mounted red dot because both sights are on the gun.

We established that no magnification is allowed on a limited rifle so the real question is: "Are limited rifles only allowed to have one sighting device on the gun during a stage?" If so: "Can the device be changed between stages?" And finally "Does a front sight from an iron pair with the rear removed and a 1x optic installed constitute more than one optic installed (it should as I could adjust the height of the iron front to appear below the dot hence giving me a zero for long range)?"

So let me get this stright. You shoot your shotgun and before grounding it you shoot the last round downrange to get a empty shotgun , you get a DQ or penelty??? A empty shotgun is safer than one loaded on safe. A first on this for me.

How about if you load and extra slug in your gun and don't need it, can you fire it into the berm before going on to the birdshot???? Sorry, but this rule seems silly to me, more IDPA'ish.

Exactly. What is the official stance on this?

If you are shooting at long steel with slugs you can / need to burn off the extra round into the slug aray of targets before moving to the bird shot array of targets. If you still have a slug in the gun when you are at the close range birdshot targets and fire a slug you will be DQ'd. Even if you did not hit the bird targets with a slug. So either burn it at the slug array or rack it out of the gun before you shoot the close steel. This is a safety issue not an IDPA rule of round dumping. It was the same as last year and people did not follow the rules and several DQ'd because of it. We are trying to keep that from happening this year, so everybody gets to shoot safely.

And Benny because of the IDPA comment, I am giving you blanks for the entire match. :devil:

Jason :ph34r:

TxMultigun Staff Medic

So let me get this stright. You shoot your shotgun and before grounding it you shoot the last round downrange to get a empty shotgun , you get a DQ or penelty??? A empty shotgun is safer than one loaded on safe. A first on this for me.

On this point, the idea is for people to shoot safely and not burn several rounds into the ground or at already hit targets to empty the gun while placing it in the barrel. Gaming the stage basically in an unsafe manner. One round at the array is fine but more than two will probably get you a penalty, especially if you are firing off of your shoulder as you place it in the barrel.

TxMultigun Staff Medic

Benny you haven't even made it to the match and you're already causing problems. Sigh. Shooting an extra round at a respective target array, ie extra slug on a LaRue Sniper target is ok. Dumping rounds wildly a la butcher style is not acceptable. This match is not IDPA, stages are very straightforward. Quit creating controversy everyone. We had no problems and no complaints last year, not sure what all the whining is about.

The prefered method is to handle your firearms at a designated safe area on the range instead of your vehicle. As stated in the rules it is unsafe gun handling at your vehicle and may result in a match DQ. Until told otherwise bring your firearm cased to the safe area at the range under supervision of a RO to move to your buggy/cart.

I will let the match director weigh in on this for further clarification if needed.

TxMultigun Staff Medic

The prefered method is to handle your firearms at a designated safe area on the range instead of your vehicle. As stated in the rules it is unsafe gun handling at your vehicle and may result in a match DQ. Until told otherwise bring your firearm cased to the safe area at the range under supervision of a RO to move to your buggy/cart.

I will let the match director weigh in on this for further clarification if needed.

TxMultigun Staff Medic

Hate to jump in here with more possibly silly questions,but will there be a safe area near the parking? If not, it sounds as if I will have to carry both my long guns in their cases & wheel my cart all the way to a safe area, then unbag, put them on my cart, then carry all my bags all the way back to my truck so I don't have to haul them all day long. Is that what you are saying Jason? Of course, then at the end of the day, I have to go to my truck, gather my bags, haul them all the way back to a safe area, bag the guns again, once more, carrying two long guns in cases, then push my cart back to the truck.

Am I missing something here or is that what you are telling us all to do?

Surely that is not the case, that isn't what you are saying. There must be a safe area close to the parking? The parking area is a long ways away from the shooting area, best I remember. Or are we able to park close?

Not wanting to cause any problems but last year if I had a rd. left in shotgun I simply shot it at where the last target was to slide lock, dumped shotgun and went on.Just never seen this in a major match before. I will follow rules as best as I can and hope match is great.

Not wanting to cause any problems but last year if I had a rd. left in shotgun I simply shot it at where the last target was to slide lock, dumped shotgun and went on.Just never seen this in a major match before. I will follow rules as best as I can and hope match is great.

You are okay as long as you are engaging a target. Put an extra round on a plate because you are not sure it went down? Ok. Put an extra round on a clanging slug target because you did not hear the clang? Ok. Shoot into the berm to get to slide lock? No.

The stages are designed (targets are placed) so any pellets or fragments go in a controlled direction. We want to be sure nothing accidently goes over the berm, which is a DQ anyway, but just being extra sure.

TxMultigun Staff Medic

Hate to jump in here with more possibly silly questions,but will there be a safe area near the parking? If not, it sounds as if I will have to carry both my long guns in their cases & wheel my cart all the way to a safe area, then unbag, put them on my cart, then carry all my bags all the way back to my truck so I don't have to haul them all day long. Is that what you are saying Jason? Of course, then at the end of the day, I have to go to my truck, gather my bags, haul them all the way back to a safe area, bag the guns again, once more, carrying two long guns in cases, then push my cart back to the truck.

Surely that is not the case, that isn't what you are saying. There must be a safe area close to the parking? The parking area is a long ways away from the shooting area, best I remember. Or are we able to park close?

I believe that the same rules apply from last year, which allow removing long rifles from cases at your vehicle and getting them in condition to carry. Handguns must go to a safety area.

Here are the rules:

1.4 Rifles & Shotguns (carry from vehicle or between stages)

1.4.1 Rifles & shotguns must be cased, secured muzzle up or muzzle down in a stable gun cart/caddy, or carried

vertically slung with the muzzle up.

1.4.2 Rifles & shotguns must be carried with actions open and detachable magazines removed.

1.5 Handguns (carry from vehicle or between stages)

1.5.1 Handguns must arrive at the range in a case and remain in the case during transport to a designated Safety

Area for initial holstering. A handgun may also be holstered initially under direction and supervision of a

Range Officer.

1.5.2 Handguns must be cased or remain in holster, magazine removed except in designated Safety Areas, or

under the direction of Range Officer(s) on a stage.

1.5.3 Handguns must be carried with the "Hammer/Striker Down."

I am sure if there is a difference one of the match staff will weigh in.

"Not more than one (1) non-magnified electronic or optical sight is permitted. Electronic or optical sights originally designed to be capable of any magnification (whether used or not) are prohibited."

I know that a dot has the edge over irons up close but for the long shots I am much more comfortable with the irons. I get that an electronic sight is the 1x red dot but the term "optical sight" is throwing me off...all sights are optical so I assume that means no irons with a dot. I "think" last year you could have irons with a 1x dot but don't know for sure. And...if irons are not allowed with a 1x optic then the next question is can we use the red dot with the BUIS down and remove the red dot and raise the BUIS for a stage and then switch back? And...to your point...if I remove the rear BUIS and the front iron is still there, is that a second "Optical Sight?" Also, while I am not shooting an A2, the rule would eliminate those using an A2 upper with a rail mounted red dot because both sights are on the gun.

We established that no magnification is allowed on a limited rifle so the real question is: "Are limited rifles only allowed to have one sighting device on the gun during a stage?" If so: "Can the device be changed between stages?" And finally "Does a front sight from an iron pair with the rear removed and a 1x optic installed constitute more than one optic installed (it should as I could adjust the height of the iron front to appear below the dot hence giving me a zero for long range)?"

You are over-thinking this.

"electronic or optical sights" are separate from "iron sights".

"optical Sights" generally refer to a device which has glass involved, whether magnified or non-magnified. (ie...Luepold prismatic, Elcan 1-4x, Eotech, etc...) Some involve electronics, others don't.

Under the current rules, you could have a rifle with iron sights set at 12, 3, and 9 o'clock.

you can co-witness ONE eotech with the irons. or you could have a Prismatic with irons set at 45 deg.

make sense?

Benny you had me all buffuddled, I was thing crap if I have 10 or 12 rounds in there then what. Well I figured it out I'm an "A" kind a shooter and you like option "B".1.9Grounding Firearms

During the course requirements of a multi-gun stage, a participant may be required to ground a firearm in

order to transition to another. The location and position of the grounded firearm will be specified in the

written stage description. A participant shall transition firearms by safely grounding a firearm using either of

the following acceptable and safe methods:

(a)

Loaded, safety engaged.

(B)

Unloaded. Note: For purposes of Texas Multigun, “unloaded” means:

(i)

Empty chamber and empty source (tube or magazine); or

(ii)

Empty chamber and magazine completely removed

TxMultigun Staff Medic

I believe that the same rules apply from last year, which allow removing long rifles from cases at your vehicle and getting them in condition to carry. Handguns must go to a safety area.

Here are the rules:

1.4 Rifles & Shotguns (carry from vehicle or between stages)

1.4.1 Rifles & shotguns must be cased, secured muzzle up or muzzle down in a stable gun cart/caddy, or carried

vertically slung with the muzzle up.

1.4.2 Rifles & shotguns must be carried with actions open and detachable magazines removed.

1.5 Handguns (carry from vehicle or between stages)

1.5.1 Handguns must arrive at the range in a case and remain in the case during transport to a designated Safety

Area for initial holstering. A handgun may also be holstered initially under direction and supervision of a

Range Officer.

1.5.2 Handguns must be cased or remain in holster, magazine removed except in designated Safety Areas, or

under the direction of Range Officer(s) on a stage.

1.5.3 Handguns must be carried with the "Hammer/Striker Down."

I am sure if there is a difference one of the match staff will weigh in.

Shotgun & rifle placed on a cart per rules can be from vehicle. Pistol cased until you find a safe table and place it in a holster per rules.

Jason

Benny you had me all buffuddled, I was thing crap if I have 10 or 12 rounds in there then what. Well I figured it out I'm an "A" kind a shooter and you like option "B".1.9Grounding Firearms

During the course requirements of a multi-gun stage, a participant may be required to ground a firearm in

order to transition to another. The location and position of the grounded firearm will be specified in the

written stage description. A participant shall transition firearms by safely grounding a firearm using either of

the following acceptable and safe methods:

(a)

Loaded, safety engaged.

(B)

Unloaded. Note: For purposes of Texas Multigun, "unloaded" means:

(i)

Empty chamber and empty source (tube or magazine); or

(ii)

Empty chamber and magazine completely removed

Yep, most boomsticks have some sort of fancy lever/button that is called a "safety".