Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What slug is best for 3-gun?

bomadera

what I've always told people is when your at the range bring a selection of what YOUR shotgun likes

a sample of the ammo your shooting buddies buy

and the chepest stuff you find at the local gunshow.

shot all of them at a known distance

as mentioned before note your point of aim /point of impact for each of the brands through each of your chokes.

now depending on your choke set up look at the POA/POI of your bird shot as well.

Idealy your slugs and shot will have the same POA / POI at all of your known distances thus eliminating the "I aim here for shot and hold to over here for slugs".

an afternoon at the range with a lot of ammo and a note book is invaluable.

If they will cycle in your gun, the B&P reduced recoil slugs are my choice.

+1

An 11-87 I was borrowing wouldnt cycle them, but my Benelli will chew through them just fine.

If they will cycle in your gun, the B&P reduced recoil slugs are my choice.

+1

An 11-87 I was borrowing wouldnt cycle them, but my Benelli will chew through them just fine.

I like the B&Ps but they are very light and I get better cycling with the Fiocchi 7/8 Aero Slugs. The Fiocchis are very accurate and have enough power they should cycle most guns but still shoot pretty soft.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

Whichever slug is most accurate, closest to POA/POI if you dont have adjustable sights, and 100% reliable. Manageable recoil is a plus.

For me, I settled on the Federal Hydra Shok Slug LE127RS from http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/250rd-federal-hydra-shok-slug-le127rs

These are just a tad more expensive than cheap winchester slugs at Walmart, and proved far more accurate for me. Have been 100% reliable in a Benelli M1, FN SLP, and Mossberg 930.

Best slug for 3 gun is the one that works for you. Go and purchase 3-4 boxes of slugs with variety. Some full power and some light recoil then go shoot some groups. Have fun and take notes on what works.

Here is one that works for me that is a little different than the standard ones. I shot all of the major brands, both full power and reduced recoil and this brand worked the best. Brenneke makes a reduced recoil tactical home defense slug that shoots POA out to 100 yards. It is light on the shoulder and very accurate.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/l_tactical_home_defense.html

Of course you'll have to try several brands and choose for yourself....I love Remington Sluggers (full power). They work really well in my FN gun and they pattern well. I have tried the "reduced recoil" version but I find that they shoot much lower (~4-5 inches at 50 yds)than the full power loads. Some of the matches I attend require slugs out to over 100 yards and the straighter shooting full power loads have served me well. However, I do keep a few of the reduced recoil loads on hand for those up close and personal stages which require slugs. Wolf slugs are cheaper but I find they do not patter worth a darn.

So far, I have used the Wolf low recoil slugs and Rem Sluggers. Both are accurate. The wolf's low recoil is great for under 75 yards. The sluggers have a bit more range, so i use them when shooting 75+. I am wanting to try the fiocchi low recoil.

A warning on the Fiocchi slugs. They are longer then an average 2 3/4" shell. In my stock FN SLP, this causes two problems.

First is that you can only get 7 in the tube and they fit TIGHT in strippers.

The second is that I get the occasional jam where the the shell is caught at bottom lip of the chamber. As this has only happened with these slugs, I can only guesstimate that it is a combination of the low recoil and added length not allowing the lifter enough time to come up before the bolt starts to close.

Just last week I forked out the money and bought 15-20 of six different brands of slugs to try out. I'm hoping to get out to the range on Thursday to see how they do. I'll report back with my findings. Below are the ones that I'm trying out.

Brenneke Tactical Home Defense Reduced Recoil - 1oz - 1378fps

Federal Truball Low Recoil - 1oz - 1300fps

Fiocchi Aero Low Recoil - 7/8oz - 1300fps

Fiocchi Aero Low Recoil - 1oz - 1150fps

Remington Slugger Managed-Recoil - 1oz - 1200fps

Winchester WinLite Low Recoil - 1oz - 1200fps

I did notice that the Fiocchis are longer than both the other slugs and typical birdshot loads by quite a bit. They look closer to 3" than 2 3/4", but I have yet to try them out in my m2.

A warning on the Fiocchi slugs. They are longer then an average 2 3/4" shell. In my stock FN SLP, this causes two problems.

First is that you can only get 7 in the tube and they fit TIGHT in strippers.

The second is that I get the occasional jam where the the shell is caught at bottom lip of the chamber. As this has only happened with these slugs, I can only guesstimate that it is a combination of the low recoil and added length not allowing the lifter enough time to come up before the bolt starts to close.

Need to try them out in my strippers then. i think i have a CCW stripper has a revmovable insert just in case they are too long for my choates.

Just last week I forked out the money and bought 15-20 of six different brands of slugs to try out. I'm hoping to get out to the range on Thursday to see how they do. I'll report back with my findings. Below are the ones that I'm trying out.

Brenneke Tactical Home Defense Reduced Recoil - 1oz - 1378fps

Federal Truball Low Recoil - 1oz - 1300fps

Fiocchi Aero Low Recoil - 7/8oz - 1300fps

Fiocchi Aero Low Recoil - 1oz - 1150fps

Remington Slugger Managed-Recoil - 1oz - 1200fps

Winchester WinLite Low Recoil - 1oz - 1200fps

I did notice that the Fiocchis are longer than both the other slugs and typical birdshot loads by quite a bit. They look closer to 3" than 2 3/4", but I have yet to try them out in my m2.

nice cutter...i fired a handfull of Fiocchi Aero low recoil 1 oz in my new M2 this past weekend; no issues. that was my first time firing a low recoil slug; let's just say i like them alot better than the 1560 fps Sluggers i have been using all this time.

Well, after getting off work early and driving an hour out to the range today, I found out that it was closed. I guess I'll have to find some other time to check them out. For the match this weekend I guess I'll just pick a slug and hope it works!

Like most have said, try several and see what your gun likes, but Brenneke Tactical Home Defense is a great place to start. Cycles well, low recoil, very accurate.

I agree Breneke reduced recoil slugs are the most accurate low recoil slugs I have found in any of my shotguns. The only down side is cost.

Pat

Like most have said, try several and see what your gun likes, but Brenneke Tactical Home Defense is a great place to start. Cycles well, low recoil, very accurate.

I agree Breneke reduced recoil slugs are the most accurate low recoil slugs I have found in any of my shotguns. The only down side is cost.

Pat

$4.97/5 at Cheaper than Dirt. Not exactly free, but comparable to lesser slugs at X-Mart and Cabela's. I picked up 3 boxes to evaluate.

cheapest way is to load lyman mold cast slugs with reduced charges of blue dot in a winchester red wad in winchester AA hulls.

I find them as accurate as any average low recoil slugs.Of course they will not match those expensive top shelf things,but I can't hit

texas stars at a hundred yards anyway like I hear some can.(smooth bore)Can they really?

• 3 years later...

I handload a light load with Lyman slugs - shoots soft in my 1100 and flys true.

cheapest way is to load lyman mold cast slugs with reduced charges of blue dot in a winchester red wad in winchester AA hulls.

I find them as accurate as any average low recoil slugs.Of course they will not match those expensive top shelf things,but I can't hit

texas stars at a hundred yards anyway like I hear some can.(smooth bore)Can they really?

Which Lyman slugs do you use? Would you share your load recipe? Thank you.

Vaughn