Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 vs. 550?

I've been lurking on here for a couple of months and am still not decided... I have wanted to reload for about 2 years now but never felt the need. Then I moved.. Now I can and do shoot 2-4 times a week!! I went from 100-300 rounds a month to 200-400 rounds a week!! I shoot SSR (.38sp) and ESP (.40s&w) and a few 3 gun matches. I shoot both IDPA and USPSA. I know from reading here that I WILL be buying a Dillon from Brian, just not sure which one. The difference in costs in not a concern.. If I go with the 650, I will hold off on some of the bells and whistles until I can afford them. I have about 1K saved up and I've already bought a brass polisher and a dial indicator. I have no personal experience in reloading, but I have watched a couple buddies do it. I am also very mathmatically gifted (if that helps!!) and I am very detailed. The initial setup is what worries/scares me.. I'm reading all that I can, but until I get my hands on it, I still have concerns.. I'm sure you guys have seen this question and answered it a few thousand times... For that, I apologize.. But I know shooters and they aren't afraid of giving thier opinions!!

Thanks for any inputs,

Rex

I purchased a 650 from Brain a year or so ago and couldn’t be happier. I will say that if your planning on changing back and forth between calibers, it is suppose to be easier with the 550.

I have owned the 550 and currently 650 and LCT. Before that the LnL, Load Master. You shoot three gun so the obvious choice is the 650 for rifle and pistol. If cost is not a factor just do it. It's not complicated. Take your time. You will be fine. Read the instructions as well. Don't know why people seem to not like doing that. If you are shooting IDPA/USPSA already you know people who own 650's. Talk with them.

+1on the 650.. You sound like you will need a thousand or so for your matches and for practice a week, yes you can alwas get the bells and wistles later, I load on a 550 if I had the money I would have gottin the650 but I personaly liked the simplicity of the 550 I load about a thousand total between different calibers of course and I reload after I have gone to the range so I know I will have a steady flow of ammo to shoot so I think personaly a 550 will also fit you and you will need components and that aint cheap neather remember your gonna need primers, bullets, powders and brass in bulk I hope cause that will help you shoot more and save money ok just let you shoot more lol.. .. Find a friend or a fellow shooter/reloader and use their reloaders and I aint no professional so I would go and call Brian cause sounds like you need a reloader and fast. He can set you up right! Good luck and be safe.

Edited by MARKAVELI

Another vote here for the 650 from Brian. I had never owned or operated a reloading press until last summer when I bought my 650 with case feeder from Brian. A VERY experienced 650 user (GM Lee Neel) generously set mine up for me. Since then, I've loaded over 10K rounds with very few issues. You will not regret your purchase of a Dillon 650 from Brian Enos. :cheers:

Personally I prefer the Dillon 550 - I want to see the case full of powder before seating the bullet. I examine each case before sizing and discard any stray brass (AMERC or 380's mixed with 9mm), the powder drop before bullet seating and case gauge each finished cartridge. I still turn out ca 250 rounds per hour.

Personally I prefer the Dillon 550 - I want to see the case full of powder before seating the bullet. I examine each case before sizing and discard any stray brass (AMERC or 380's mixed with 9mm), the powder drop before bullet seating and case gauge each finished cartridge. I still turn out ca 250 rounds per hour.

I look at the powder in each case before I place the bullet too. Plus, I've found if I load at a slightly slower place, the press just seems to have very few problems.

I've had my 650 for several months now, started on an old Dillon 450 thirty years ago, then a 550 then another 550, didn't move up any more because I had so many extras for he 550s and could load almost every popular pistol caliber and several rifle calibers. Wish I had moved up sooner, you have a little more to watch as your operating the press and you'll need to inspect brass a little better before dropping it in the hopper but the 650 sure is nice!

Spent a rainy afternoon, 1500 38 specials loaded, 1000 40S@W loaded enjoyed that so much that I pulled the dies out of the 38 special tool head and set the machine up for 38 Super another 500, yep I'm going to buy a few new tool heads.

While I wouldn't want to be without a 550 and consider it the work horse press, it's amazing what you can do with a 550, the 650 is a lot quicker.

550. simple and easy to use and change over. now you can add case loader if you want to later on after you get some experience under your belt. you can back up if you need to.

I have the 550 and long for a 650.

I want both.... but I want to be able to set up the 650 and just GO. I typically do big runs of ammo, and the speed of the 650 would be nice to have. I think the biggest question is how many calibers you plan to load, how many you plan to run at a time, and how often you will switch calibers.

I have had a 550 since the late 80's???(upgradedfrom my lee single stage when i started shooting competition) and now have something like 21 toolheads forthe different calibers i load for, the 550 may be slower in some people's eyes, but im reloading for relaxation, and the caliber change is quicker on the 550

I started with a 550B. It was 1990, I think. Anyway I have had the 650 and the 1050. For me, the added speed was not worth the complication with the increased propensity for SNAFUs. The 550B is just such a perfect balance between speed, simplicity, flexibility, and an all around GREAT tool. I still have that 1990 550B and I just bought a second one this year.

I could not recommend the 550b too strongly. Handling each piece of brass and each bullet has it's advantage if quality reloads are important to you.

I have both, so I vote for one of each. I started with the 550, and bought the 650 for .40 only. I fell in love with the 650 and now load 9 and .223 on it. The 550 is great for changing calibers and primers sizes, the 650 is great for higher production volume. You can't go wrong with either, but if you only get to have one, go with the 550.

+1 for this:

You will not regret your purchase of a Dillon 650 from Brian Enos.

I skipped right over the 550, and went straight for the 650, and I have no regrets. Purchasing it from Brian, was awesome, he was very helpful getting me setup as a new reloader.

Started on a 650 13 or 14 years ago and still going. Got a 550 too this winter but its hard to us the 550 after the 650.

It a little like my work, I am a Diesel Mech. on big trucks. Hate to work on car's. Car mech. hate to work on trucks. It what's you get use too.

You wont go wrong with either.

Brent

Edited by colt

You guys aren't much help!!!! LOL I have the feeling no matter which one I get, I will be happy!! Thanks for all the input and I will let you know which one I decide on. I'm leaning towards the 650 for the volume and I currently have only 3 calibers. (.38SP, 40 S&W, and ocansionally .223) I will start with the 38 and when I feel comfortable, move on to the 40, then the 223.

Thanks for ALL OF YOUR INPUT!!

Rex

i will

It's pretty simple. If you want a lot of volume, get the 650 with the casefeeder. If you are happy with 500-600 a hour get the 550. 550 is easier to convert from one caliber to the next, but if you are loading a lot of ammo you simply not going to care that the 650 is going to take a extra 5 mins or so to convert over then the 550. Just get a lot of brass and load in large batch's on the 650.

I have a LCT to accompany my 650. I shoot mostly 9mm. I hate converting a press to load a small batch of .380/10mm. LCT is perfect for loading 100-200 rds of a caliber at a time. I don't have a ton of brass in either of those calibers.

I started with a 550 and then bought a 650 with casefeeder. There both great so I kept both. I like the 550 for 223 and 38 super. The 650 is my go to for 9mm, 40 s&w and 45acp.

Contrary to some, i started with 650. There is a learning curve especially the auto indexing. at a certain height when the ram is lifted there is no turning back in case you missed something.

Other than that set-up should be no problem. Make sure to read the manual before anything else. the manual is the paper that goes with the press. :ph34r:

I have had a 550 for around 6 years now and can load 6-700 rounds an hour of .40 on it. This is without a casefeeder or bullet feeder. I've gotten in-tune enough with how the machine feels that I can sense a problem and know where it's coming from as I'm pulling the handle. While the 650 is no doubt a fantastic machine I have never felt inclined to move up. Changing calibers is a snap on the 550 and I reload .38 SC, 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP on mine. If you're only going to have one machine and load multiple calibers frequently I would go the 550 route.

Just my .02 worth.

You'll no doubt be happy with either.

Cheers623

DVC

I have 2 650's one with small primer and one with large primer, both are decked out and I would not trade them for anything. Loaded thousands of rounds on each and never had any problems. The reason I have 2 was I got tired of changing out the primer from large to small. Get a 650 and never look back. Oh yeah order it from Brian. :cheers: