Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 major ?

a matt

I think the question is more of what do you shoot now and reload now

If you are shooting limited in 40 and want to get a 1911 then a 40 makes since

I am shooting a 45 1911 in ss, have for a long time, however I want to go to 40 for being able to load one type of ammo for competittion.

a 1911 40s&w is a little harder to set up to run, and you will have to load right in order for the gun you have to run.

By that I mean some 40s&w 1911's like to be loaded longer and will not work well with normal mags and factory ammo (by some I mean most)

I like shootingn 200gr 45 semi wad cutters, loaded with 4.3gr of Clays, nice load, kind of snappy, had a chance to shoot a Trojan that a local shooter has been having trouble with, used my regular limited load a 170gr bullet loaded out to 1.18, gun ran great with 45 mags and was very similiar in the recoil impluse as the 200gr 45 ammo shot side by side.

Both will work well. I would make the decision on what I could get brass for the cheapest. If your club(s) have a lot of once fired 40 brass get that caliber. If it has a lot of .45 get that.

chris

Hello: I shoot both but like the 45 better. I use 45 mags in both the 40 and 45. I also use 200 grain bullets in the 45 and 185 grain bullets in the 40. They feel almost the same but the 45 is a little softer as you would expect. As for cost it is almost the same if you reload. We get most of our brass back here so that is not an issue. 45 brass seems to last a very long time :cheers: Lastly there are not many gun makers making 40 single stacks anymore. Thanks, Eric

A friend pointed me toward a 45 load that runs very much like a 40. 185 grain bullet at 900 fps, a 12# recoil spring and your 45acp pistol snaps like a 40s&w. Now, if I could just get these old bones to move like a 40, I'd be alright.

45 will make bigger holes

40 is a hella lot cheaper.

Yep cheaper

Hole .45 vs .40

.05 hundreds difference

While I understand your point if that was the that big of a deal there would be more 45 shooters. Just Saying

I wonder if there is a reason most of the top GMs used 40 at the SSNationals or will be using 40 next year.

I went to 40 because it is what I use in Limited and Limited10. I have buckets of brass so that is not a worry.

I think 300 rounds of 40 make the weight limit at SWA whereas it is like 250 of 45.

you girls will bite any bait...

You can save money or shoot competitively, but'cha aint doing both.

Why not shoot 38 Super?

Well Ma'am, mainly because to shoot Major, the minimum caliber is .40.

WG

I wonder if there is a reason most of the top GMs used 40 at the SSNationals or will be using 40 next year.

I went to 40 because it is what I use in Limited and Limited10. I have buckets of brass so that is not a worry.

I think 300 rounds of 40 make the weight limit at SWA whereas it is like 250 of 45.

The guy who won the match was using 45acp, beating a very talented field. 45 acp on the 100th anniversary, very appropriate, donncha think?

All things being equal I would much rather shoot .45 acp MANLY pumpkin balls. But USPSA is a game and magazine capacity is paramount. Therefore the .40 has a huge advantage. So I own a .40 STI for my gun game fun :-)