Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumbs up for Bayou Bullets!

gigamortis

I finally shot a match today with some newly worked up 135gr lrn Bayou Bullets out of my CZ75B. After 100+ rounds fired, no leading was found in the barrel at all. On top of that, no noticeable smoke at all, despite being propelled by Titegroup.

All other brand moly/poly coated cast bullets so far have left some lead streaking in the last half of the barrel in my CZ, and smoked like a freight train with Titegroup. I have slugged the barrel in this CZ before and it measured out to be .3565". That is a little loose for the typical .356" diameter lead cast bullet common for 9mm use, so I had always assumed my loose tolerance barrel was the cause of the leading with the other bullets. But, the Bayous measure out to .356" just like all the other coated cast bullets I have tried, but apparently the proprietary green coating is the real deal. This green coating takes care of the smoke and the leading issues.

For those of you that are interested in my particular Bayou load, here it is:

135gr lrn Bayou bullet, 3.2gr Titegroup @ 1.085", 938 fps for a 6 shot average (925 fps needed for minor pf). I had to seat at this length due to the early start of the rifling in the CZ barrel. Length for this bullet touching the rifling is 1.095", so I went shorter by .010" for a little reliability cushion. Feeding and extraction was flawless. This new 135gr Bayou load with 3.2gr Titegroup is noticeably softer shooting than my previous load of 124gr Berrys plated with 3.9 Titegroup that just does squeak by for minor pf.

Donnie at Bayou Bullets has been excellent at answering all my questions concerning my previous leading concerns in my CZ. He recommended trying the .356" sizing to see what happens, and if I still had leading, he offered to size a batch to .357" if needed. Looks like I won't have to bother him at all for the special sizing.

If anyone is sitting on the fence about trying the Bayou Bullets, I say go for it. The green coating has solved all my issues I was looking to correct when shooting lead out of my CZ.

Next, I will have to work up a 230gr Bayou Bullet load for my .45!

Edited by gigamortis

Thanks for that update! I have been looking to squeeze in some bullets before my wife catches on to a credit card she is getting wise to. With over 10,000 9mm of Zero and MG in 115, I ordered 1000 MG 147gr and liked them a lot. But I'd like to compare then to the 135s from Bayou Bullets. I know I can always sell some of the 115s and was looking at that very round you spoke of last night.

If you try the .45 please get back to us. I was thinking of 200 gr SWC and some 230 RN to see if my Kimber CDP II likes one over the other. I hope to try them myself within 3-4 weeks.

Walsh

walsh,

If you like the MG 147 you might want to try the BB 147 as well, I think I'm going to try the 135 myself though.

I don't have experience with the 200 LSWC but I have been running the 230 RN over Clays in my 625 for IDPA and like it a lot and I am also using the 160 RN in my 686 and will start using it in IDPA as well.

Greg

Edited by GSWEAR

I have used Donnie's bullets in 45, 40, 38spl, and now 9MM. If you want to try them, he will sell you a trial size bag. I am currently using his 160gr .356 in 9MM SP01, Springfield Single stack, and Sig 226. I really like them and the recoil is light which is what I need.

Service is great, product is great, and the additional help with load data when you ask helps a lot. I am loading with WSF and have no smoke at all.

I am very glad when Donnie started this venture, he was kind enough to send me some samples to test. I shared them with 10mmDave who I believe is also using them now.

I just started shooting the bayou bullets in my Tanfo. So far they have been great, they shoot clean and accurate. The only issue I have is when loading them, they are very slippery and I end up dropping a few. But my fingers aren't dirty when I'm done loading

They do smell a little funny when shot, must be the swamp water.

I think I'll try the Bayous the next time. I just received some 147 BBI's and the OAL's are varying quite a bit in my 550. Like .040 because of bullets with different size diameter flat points. I have also found a couple half bullets and the things are filthy. I loaded 500 yesterday and my press is filthy. My finger tips were literally caked with the black dust and it's difficult to scrub off and I had to wash after every couple hundred rounds. With all the crap on my fingers, I find it hard to believe that it's not going to build up in the barrel significantly. Since I couldn't get ahold of them prior to shipping, I haven 't even worried about trying to get with them over the issues. They will get no more of my bullet business.

Now that bayou bullets is back up and taking orders (and since my 550 is en route from BE) I wanted to ask you guys that have shot them for a while a couple of questions. I'm currently shooting club match IDPA ssp with a factory Glock 17. I've been shooting winchester white box 115gr FMJ for as long as I've shot pistol. At the club matches, there's always a steel stage that generally gives the WWB 115grs a lot of trouble unless I sweet spot the targets.

I am also about to move to the Columbus, GA area and I understand that USPSA is much more popular down there (as well as 3-gun). I'm not a classified shooter and while understanding what power factors are and how they're calculated, I don't know enough about the USPSA divisions and the sport in general to know if I should aim to meet major or minor, etc. Is there a good "default" weight in bayou bullets to go with much like a 55gr FMJ for AR platforms in your average local matches? I'll be looking to purchase a thousand rounds and just want to make sure I select what will work as a good starter/new to USPSA load. Also, any issues with fouling build-up in the glock barrels? I clean my gun after every match/practice session so I won't be shooting 500+ rounds without seeing what's going on in the barrel, but my major concern is whether or not I should plan on purchasing an aftermarket barrel to use with them right off the bat.

Thanks for the help

I really like the Bayou Bullets and Donnie is a great guy to deal with.

I use the 160rn in my 686 over 4.2 Trail Boss for SSR and the 230rn over 4.1 Clays in my 625 for ESR.

Greg

Welcome to Columbus. There's a lot of shooting opportunity in this area. An IDPA match is held monthly at 2 fairly close ranges, East Alabama Gun Club and Central Alabama Gun Club. USPSA matches are also held at those clubs. If you are willing travel a bit, you can shoot a match every weekend.

Bayou casts several bullet choices. I like their 135 grain RN, but a friend told me they have stopped makeing that bullet, I haven't checked for myself, though. I'm sure they make a 147 grain bullet and my friend shoots their 125 grain and has no trouble with steel. There's a lot of load data available.

There is a good retailer in Columbus, that carries a lot of powders, primers, etc. (Shooters of Columbus).

If you are coming to Ft.Benning, we get a lot of soldiers at the matches at the clubs mentioned above. Some good shooting at Cool Springs Gun Club, Roberta, GA as well.

Yep - I'll be stationed at Benning (and most likely living in Phenix City) for about 6 months. Thanks for the heads up on Shooters. It's been 4 years or so since I've been down at Benning and I wasn't into shooting or reloading back then so I probably didn't even notice if they carried anything. A couple buddies and I found EAGC on the net and planned on shooting as many of their matches as we can while we're there. It's good to know there's several other clubs as well.

It looks like I can't go wrong with any of the bayou 9mm choices - I'll probably just pick one and roll with it until I need to reorder, lol.

Thanks for that update! I have been looking to squeeze in some bullets before my wife catches on to a credit card she is getting wise to. With over 10,000 9mm of Zero and MG in 115, I ordered 1000 MG 147gr and liked them a lot. But I'd like to compare then to the 135s from Bayou Bullets. I know I can always sell some of the 115s and was looking at that very round you spoke of last night.

If you try the .45 please get back to us. I was thinking of 200 gr SWC and some 230 RN to see if my Kimber CDP II likes one over the other. I hope to try them myself within 3-4 weeks.

Walsh

Donnie does offer a .45 cal 200gr rn. I shot a match with them this morning and after shooting nothing but 230gr for the last 20 or so years in the 45, the gun acted more like a 40S&W than a 45. Gonna give them a go in the 625 too.

Walsh

Donnie does offer a .45 cal 200gr rn. I shot a match with them this morning and after shooting nothing but 230gr for the last 20 or so years in the 45, the gun acted more like a 40S&W than a 45. Gonna give them a go in the 625 too.

200gr Round Nose as in Revolver friendly Round Nose? Pics?

I'm currently shooting club match IDPA ssp with a factory Glock 17.

I am also about to move to the Columbus, GA area and I understand that USPSA is much more popular down there (as well as 3-gun). I'm not a classified shooter and while understanding what power factors are and how they're calculated, I don't know enough about the USPSA divisions and the sport in general to know if I should aim to meet major or minor, etc.

Thanks for the help

Unless you are going to shoot open you will have to shoot 9 minor, so you may as well load it minor to enjoy the benefits of the reduced recoil. In production and limited the minimum for major is .40

Walsh

200gr Round Nose as in Revolver friendly Round Nose? Pics?

Hope you can see with these cell phone pics.

post-1793-092142900 1306195850_thumb.jpg

post-1793-090245200 1306195857_thumb.jpg

Unless you are going to shoot open you will have to shoot 9 minor, so you may as well load it minor to enjoy the benefits of the reduced recoil. In production and limited the minimum for major is .40

Yep - I just started reading more about that (I guess I got confused with how 9mm major played into it without realizing that all 9mm in production, which I will be shooting for now anyway, are scored in minor). Is there a highly recommended bullet grain to velocity combo for your average match or does each shooter settle in on their own flavor? I know I'm going to have to load heavier than 115gr 9mm as factory ammo isn't doing the trick against most of the steel here. I haven't chrono'd any factory ammo (win white box 115gr for instance) but I'm sure it's probably a higher velocity than needed to make PF. I might as well maintain the same load for both the few IDPA club matches I'll be able to get in before I move to Columbus and start shooting USPSA since it will allow me to maintain a constant feel for my personal gun.

I just went to his site again and it is still under construction. I was looking for some pricing for 40 cals. Anyone know when the site will be back online?

Thanks,

Chris

Wwb makes 142 in a glock 34.

Most people settle in the low to mid 130s, from what I see.

Thanks for the heads up - I'm assuming it would probably be a touch lower out of a 17 barrel then (if barrel length on a pistol corresponds to that of how it works for rifle). Definitely gives me a starting point for how I should develop my reloads. Either way - I'm sure there's a noticeable difference between felt recoil on a 142 PF than something in the low 130s.

I just went to his site again and it is still under construction. I was looking for some pricing for 40 cals. Anyone know when the site will be back online?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, send him an email and he will send you all the information. My responses from him have been same day from day one.

Chris, send him an email and he will send you all the information. My responses from him have been same day from day one.

Donnie has been very good about getting back with me as well, I've ordered from him 2 or 3 times in the last 2 months and I am going to shoot him an email this evening for another order.

bayoubullets@yahoo.com

225-324-4501

Greg

I would have ordered the .358 bullets of the same type and not worried about leading.

Had you tried Precision's "black bullets"? I find they also do not lead even when slightly undersized.

The following jacketed bullets are currently in stock:

Montana Gold

9MM 124JHP

$114.00/1000

$308.00/3750 ($82.14/1000)

Zero Bullets

(Roze Distribution or Powder Valley)

9mm 125 GR FPFMJ

$80.48/1000 (Roze)—in stock

.38 Super 121 GR JHP

$86.00/1000 (Powder Valley—in stock)

$233/3000 ($77.67/1000)

These are not in your weight range, but they aren't that much more expensive and now would be a good time to stock up.

I just started shooting the bayou bullets in my Tanfo. So far they have been great, they shoot clean and accurate. The only issue I have is when loading them, they are very slippery and I end up dropping a few. But my fingers aren't dirty when I'm done loading

They do smell a little funny when shot, must be the swamp water.

I was just going to ask that. My hands get really dirty when I load with the moly I'm using now. I hate to switch because they are always in stock and the company is a joy to work with but I want to try these Bayous.

I am really in love with my 160gr 9mm and 200 gr .40 loads though. I don't think I want to change bullet weights.

I'm amazed at how clean my hands are after loading the green bullets. I have yet to find anything objectionable about Bayou Bullets. I'm hooked on the 40 200g RN bullets.