Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you get 20/21 rounds in a mag?

raysracer

Frankly we could argue the point forever but what's he point? I have zillions of mags that all work. Not one has ever been tuned. I can take a mag from anyone and it will work if the OAL isn't TOO long. The barrels aren't throated for longer than 1.185".

If you could run 21 round mags without fear, wouldn't you?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although I agree with Mr. White on there is always a place to reload and run something that is 100%, starting with the higher round count can't hurt. With the side dimples in the STI tubes, use Grams follower/ spring and the Dawson base that fits the gage. Out of the three I own only one holds 20 the rest 19.They don't give penalties for finishing with bullets left.

You hit it on the head here starting with 20 in mag and one in barrel seems to me to make sense and 19 reloadable, although I'm the guy that hunts with fully loaded rifle and carry 5 extra in my pocket for one shot, I start a stage with 20 rounds in gun and 3 mags with 19 each in them for a 31 round stage (never know maybe some mag malfunction, drop a mag etc) I pack a weeks worth of clothes for a 3 day trip if I need them they are there. I guess the Murphies Law thing is what I'm trying to avoid.

Just by one Brazos or Superior Tuned mag that is all you should need.

Brazos Tuned Mag

Superior Firearms Tuned Mag from Shooters Connection

I have both and both have run flawless! The Brazos I have run for 3 yrs never have changed the spring and it still runs flawless. The Superior mag I have run for 1yr with out fail also. I would just get 1 tuned mag to start with 20+1 the others are all untuned mags with SNL base pad and Grams guts and I only load them to 19 they will also hold 20 but I trust the tuned mags so I use those with 20 rounds.

Bk

Just by one Brazos or Superior Tuned mag that is all you should need.

Brazos Tuned Mag

Superior Firearms Tuned Mag from Shooters Connection

I have both and both have run flawless! The Brazos I have run for 3 yrs never have changed the spring and it still runs flawless. The Superior mag I have run for 1yr with out fail also. I would just get 1 tuned mag to start with 20+1 the others are all untuned mags with SNL base pad and Grams guts and I only load them to 19 they will also hold 20 but I trust the tuned mags so I use those with 20 rounds.

Bk

Thanks for links BK and everyone else for your imput on this matter everyone has a opinion and is good to hear all. Instead of messing with my mags that run flawlessly...just buy one good higher capacity tuned...makes sense to me.

I have three mags all with the same setup:

STI 140mm *Un-tuned* Mag bodies

Grams 11coil spring/follower kit (modified to prevent slide lock)

Dawson +1 SNL basepads

ALL of them will hold 21 and reload on 20 and ALL of them fit the EGW gauge.

Hope that helps

Dawson +1 SNL basepads

Hope that helps

What does this means ???

Loads 21rds and reloads 20rds??? Seen these advertised but I never understood it... If it loads 21, we should be able to reload 21rds back in...I don't understand that ...

How did you modify the followers to not lock back ??? I have the same setup but my slide lock even though I still have 1 round left in the mag...

A 21 round mag is just that.. holds 21. But its so crammed full that it'll only lock in with a firm shove and would be impossible to use for a reload on a stage.

A RELOADABLE mag will lock in at speed during a stage.

Modifying the followers is easy. Knock off the tab that hits the slide stop with a dremel.

Dawson +1 SNL basepads

Hope that helps

Joe,

Not to change intent of this thread but being new to USPSA, ever since I first shot USPSA I heard you dont want to go to slide lock. I use Dawson followers (19 in mag 1 in chamber total of 20 rounds)that wont slide lock, when I first started I never ran my gun dry, just lately I guess just having so much blasting I have run my gun dry on more than one occasion. Slide lock would have saved me alot of time e.g. knowing gun was empty instead click and what the heck.... I need to reload insert mag, rack slide. Why not use Grams followers without modifying to prevent slide lock?

Dawson +1 SNL basepads

Hope that helps

Joe,

Not to change intent of this thread but being new to USPSA, ever since I first shot USPSA I heard you dont want to go to slide lock. I use Dawson followers (19 in mag 1 in chamber total of 20 rounds)that wont slide lock, when I first started I never ran my gun dry, just lately I guess just having so much blasting I have run my gun dry on more than one occasion. Slide lock would have saved me alot of time e.g. knowing gun was empty instead click and what the heck.... I need to reload insert mag, rack slide. Why not use Grams followers without modifying to prevent slide lock?

I think most do it to prevent overinsertion of the mag into the gun. A 140mm mag could pass the mag catch and be forced to high in the gun resulting in damage to the extractor or ejector.

Preventing over-insertion is one of the reason people modify followers to not lock back. The other is that sometimes a mag can hit the slide stop and lock the slide back even if there is a round or 2 left in the mag. The simple solution to both cases is a modified follower and a count of your rounds when shooting.

How often do you really need 20 or 21 rounds in the mag? Reloading is one of the basic skills needed to compete in this sport. I have never shot a field course that didnt have a place to reload within 20 rounds. Another requirement is a gun that is going to run time after time, I have seen these ultra capacity mags puke way too often.. A STI tube with a Dawson SNL and competion follower with a IMSI spring gets 19 in the mag that will work every time. 19 in a gun that is goint to run beats 20 on the ground behind you every time. Another plus is that IMSI spring is going to out last all those other springs 3 to one.----------Larry

I only shot my Limited gun a few times but it was nice to not have to reload on a few stages that were 20-22 rounds that other limited guns did have to.

In all my mags, the Grams followers would lock the slide back with one or two rounds left in the mag. So I filed away at the part of the follower that catches the slide lock.

You should really be counting your shots on stages and know that if you take any extra shots then you will either have to reload earlier or reload and rack the slide.

For example, I give myself 2 rounds for every steel that way IF I miss steel I still have enough rounds to get me through until my planned reload. If you miss steel twice then you will def need to reload sooner.

Hope that helps..

In all my mags, the Grams followers would lock the slide back with one or two rounds left in the mag. So I filed away at the part of the follower that catches the slide lock.

You should really be counting your shots on stages and know that if you take any extra shots then you will either have to reload earlier or reload and rack the slide.

For example, I give myself 2 rounds for every steel that way IF I miss steel I still have enough rounds to get me through until my planned reload. If you miss steel twice then you will def need to reload sooner.

Hope that helps..

I never factor misses into my stage plan! This is a sure way to have a miss on steel or paper.;) I usually reload between 16 -18 rounds on a long course 32 round stage. On shorter courses I have shot 4 and reloaded to finish up.

The whole time I've been shooting I've only seen the need for a 21-22 round mag on one stage. It was a short blazer/hoser 22 round stage that was pretty much non-stop shooting. The guy with 21 round mag won the stage with out the reload. Other than that when I've shot limited I always used my sti mags with grams guts and SNLs and started with 20 in the gun and reloaded to 19.

If your slide is locking back with two rounds still in the mag it's not the follower causing it, the follower would not be close enough to have any effect on the slide lock.

• 2 weeks later...

All three of the .40 mags I use are easily reloadable with 21 rounds in the mags. The setup is a Rescomp tube, Grams follower and spring, and a Dawson Base Pad. A Dawson SNL base pad helps so that it is a little easier to seat a 21 round mag with the slide forward. I did have to modify my slide stop so that the gun does not lock back with 1 or 2 rounds remaining in the mag using the Grams follower. The procedure to modify the slide stop was outlined on the Brazos website. Yes you can modify the follower, but then you are modifying three (one per mag) parts instead of one. My gun is set up to lock back when the mag is empty.... I can't count that good...

I love the Rescomp tubes. You wont have to mess with them or tune them, although they are soft, and more prone to corrosion than SS mag bodies, so I wipe down the exterior of the mag tubes with an oiled cloth after each use. I also recommend changing the mag springs at least once a year. I do not recommend the rescomp tubes in a STI aluminum grip, though. They will not fit. I found out the hard way, and had to extensively modify my aluminum grip for them to work. No problem at all with the polymer grip, though.

The Softness is why alot of people stray away from the rescomp tubes for their "everyday" mags. A good 20 rounder that works and is tough is the way to go for the majority of the shooting. Save the 22 rounders for when it matters

The Rescomp tubes just are not as robust as the STI tubes and are more subject to getting damaged when dropped all the time. Just use the STIs setup as the regular mag and build a rescomp that is only used when it will make a difference. Most stages can be done just fine with a 20 rounder or even a 19 rounder. The 22/23 round stages that are basically a hose fest are where that skipped reload can make a difference

All three of the .40 mags I use are easily reloadable with 21 rounds in the mags. The setup is a Rescomp tube, Grams follower and spring, and a Dawson Base Pad. A Dawson SNL base pad helps so that it is a little easier to seat a 21 round mag with the slide forward. I did have to modify my slide stop so that the gun does not lock back with 1 or 2 rounds remaining in the mag using the Grams follower. The procedure to modify the slide stop was outlined on the Brazos website. Yes you can modify the follower, but then you are modifying three (one per mag) parts instead of one. My gun is set up to lock back when the mag is empty.... I can't count that good...

I love the Rescomp tubes. You wont have to mess with them or tune them, although they are soft, and more prone to corrosion than SS mag bodies, so I wipe down the exterior of the mag tubes with an oiled cloth after each use. I also recommend changing the mag springs at least once a year. I do not recommend the rescomp tubes in a STI aluminum grip, though. They will not fit. I found out the hard way, and had to extensively modify my aluminum grip for them to work. No problem at all with the polymer grip, though.

Have you gauge this mag ? Thanks.