Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At what point of the draw does your finger engage the trigger

JasonS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not taught what many think to be proper, and for years I took the safety off as I placed my firing hand on the pistol prior to draw. Then, when it was mentioned to me a couple of years back, I switched to the push out. Now when I shoot my Glock, there's nothing really there, and I just love it. When I shoot my TS, then it's on the push out once again.

I have seen many LEOs jam their magazine into the gun while the gun is holstered. I do not believe this is safe either.

I think this comes from 'admin' reloads and topping off the gun while at the academy. At the crawl stage, often you aren't allowed to handle your weapon unless given the command from the booth, so this is taught to let students reload without handling the gun. (Keep in mind most are shooting Glocks or Sigs, or something similar. I don't know of any academies that have recruits shooting 1911s.)

Why do you consider this unsafe?

• 2 weeks later...

I have no formal training other than shooting IDPA. I usually don't put my trigger finger on the trigger till my arms are fully extended and on target. i have been told that as soon as one starts" punching out", that is the time the trigger finger starts taking up the slack and by the time the arms are fully extended, you should fire.

Is this correct?

Partially

As soon as I have established my grip my finger gets on the trigger.

Start prepping the trigger as gun is pushing out towards target.

The difference I have is I never "fully extend" my arms. When my arms are fully extended I have lost the recoil absorbing cushion.

I am not suppose to fire until I have the "correct sight" picture, but sometimes I get a little sloppy there.

Mildot

Partially

The difference I have is I never "fully extend" my arms. When my arms are fully extended I have lost the recoil absorbing cushion.

I am not suppose to fire until I have the "correct sight" picture, but sometimes I get a little sloppy there.

Mildot

That is something I have to work on. My arms are usually fully extended, I've heard many times to "pull back" a little bit, and that's how my arms are supposed to be.

To the OP, my finger goes inside the trigger guard while I am pushing the gun forward towards the target.

Partially

Mildot

I know exactly what you mean :rolleyes:

I'll agree with a few of the earlier posts and say don't really get caught up in one way and don't take this instructor's version for gold. Find your own style and stick with it.

I take the safety off in the holster. I carry a gun everyday in a holster with a thumb break retention device. When I made the switch to a 1911 for competition it made since to treat the safety as the thumb break to a degree. It keeps my overall draw stroke similar. This along with my training has worked for me. If you are a casual shooter who doesn't really train a lot it may be safer for you to disengage the safety a little later.

When you think of glock, some m&p, some sigs and a couple other guns they don't have safeties to disengage.

It comes down to training and when you teach your finger to go onto the trigger. I train to place my finger on the trigger in about the last 6 inches of my draw when i can already see my sights aligned in my visual field. it is really hard to get a gun to fire without pressing the trigger.

I agree with a lot of this post and i don't really think there is one way to teach this. You need to try both ways and figure out which one is safe for you and go with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll agree with a few of the earlier posts and say don't really get caught up in one way and don't take this instructor's version for gold. Find your own style and stick with it.

I take the safety off in the holster. I carry a gun everyday in a holster with a thumb break retention device. When I made the switch to a 1911 for competition it made since to treat the safety as the thumb break to a degree. It keeps my overall draw stroke similar. This along with my training has worked for me. If you are a casual shooter who doesn't really train a lot it may be safer for you to disengage the safety a little later.

When you think of glock, some m&p, some sigs and a couple other guns they don't have safeties to disengage.

It comes down to training and when you teach your finger to go onto the trigger. I train to place my finger on the trigger in about the last 6 inches of my draw when i can already see my sights aligned in my visual field. it is really hard to get a gun to fire without pressing the trigger.

I agree with a lot of this post and i don't really think there is one way to teach this. You need to try both ways and figure out which one is safe for you and go with that.

Taking the safety off in the holster = DQ at a USPSA match if the RO is paying attention.

At the point that a ND can be considered a bad shot and not a ND. :lol:

(Pretty much where a bullet will strike the ground underneath the target, almost at full extension)

Edited by DyNo!

I am still pretty green, but I take the safety off with my support hand as I start to extend toward the target. At our local club, taking off the safety in the holster would get you a DQ, or for a new person, a very stern talking to about safety at the very least.

I am still pretty green, but I take the safety off with my support hand as I start to extend toward the target. At our local club, taking off the safety in the holster would get you a DQ, or for a new person, a very stern talking to about safety at the very least.

If it's a USPSA match, it's a DQ, period. Without regard to which club it is or how new the shooter is.

If it's a USPSA match, it's a DQ, period. Without regard to which club it is or how new the shooter is.

Very true. But I have seen a few ROs in the last couple of years that would give a newbee a stern talking to on a first offense on a non sanctioned club match night

Don't confuse disengaging the safety, with placing you finger on the trigger. When I shoot my 1911, the safety is naturally coming off as I'm drawing the gun from the holster up to eye level. This happens naturally because when gripping the gun, my trigger finger is extended away from gun as it should be, and more pressure is put on grip with my thumb. This naturally takes the safety off immediately. But like I said, my trigger finger is nowhere near the trigger until the gun is pointing foward towards the target. That is why the instructor can advocate the early release of the safety, because your finger should never be on the trigger until ready to fire.

Edited by Postal Bob