Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best 1-4x scope for under $300?

I've used a Millet and I like it well enough, but I bought it when it was the only cheap option. The Burris or the Leatherwood would be what I would look at now, or if you are willing to spend $500 the new Vortex Viper PSTs.

I actually went the other way, and switched to a red dot. At close range I find it much faster, and most matches I shoot will have 6 stages at sub 50yards, maybe 1 or 2 at 100-400. Past 300 the red dot get a bit harder, but the time I lose there I more then make up for on the rest of the stages.

1x3 weaver is probibally the best bang for the buck by far under 300. The Millett is also nice but not as good of glass as the weaver. Have you figured in the mount cost also? Not many options under 300 bucks

+1 for Weaver 1x3

1x3 weaver is probibally the best bang for the buck by far under 300. The Millett is also nice but not as good of glass as the weaver. Have you figured in the mount cost also? Not many options under 300 bucks

+1 for Weaver 1x3

I'm trying to "google" for the right Weaver model. Is it this one? http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-rifle-scopes-v3-hunting-849400.html

I'm also shopping for a "low-cost" optic and have been looking at the millet dms and burris tac30. Weaver might be another option based on the feedback I'm reading in this thread.

Please advise.

Thanks!

IMO there is nothing that can match the Tac30 for under 300.

The Weaver glass is nice, but the Tac 30 reticle is much more useful in my opinion.

Millet DMS-1 is no where near as nice as a Tac 30. Not dissing anyone who has one, as I did too, but the Tac 30 is just that much better.

Edited by JaeOne3345

The Weaver glass is nice, but the Tac 30 reticle is much more useful in my opinion.

Millet DMS-1 is no where near as nice as a Tac 30. Not dissing anyone who has one, as I did too, but the Tac 30 is just that much better.

DITTO!

Burris has a package with the scope, mount and a fastfire on top. Not sure of the price but sounded like one heck of a deal and their mount looks like it reaches as far forward as the LaRue does.

IMO it is not very effective to mount an RDS on top of the scope. Yes, I know there are thousands of pics of dust washed, grizzled Air Guard Dolphins sporting such setups in all the gun magazines but it is directly counterproductive to why you want the RDS as a secondary sight. Mounting on top of the scope makes it impossible to have any semblance of a cheek weld and the extra mechanical offset created increases the difficulty in making close shots on partial or hardcover targets.

If you want an RDS in addition to a variable optic (open division only) it is much more beneficial to go with an offset mount like the Firebird CQSS or the Burkett Offset scope mount.

Edited by smokshwn

DITTO!

Quoted for truth.

• 2 months later...

I've been using a Millet DMS with a Burris P.E.R.P. mount for about a year now. Scope has held zero the entire time, dispite some rough treatment. I like the etched reticle, no need for setting up iron sights and adding weight. Sure, there are more expensive scopes out there if you want to spend the money, but I'd rather devote the extra cash to ammo and range time. Ultimately this will have more of an impact on your shooting than chasing equipment will. Just my 2 cents.

DITTO!

I hear real men shoot iron sights all the time, I like my Weaver 1-3 and its been back to the factory and rebuilt right, its on a PERP mount. I was able to hit 485 yard steel targets in a strong gusting cross wind using the Weaver, cause I didn't have a buncha dots and doodads covering up the dust that flew up on the first shot, just wide open glass and a cross hair, and the batteries never seem to get weak either. :roflol: If you decided to go Weaver PM me, I'd like to try one of those TAC30 critters.

I have a Lazer for nocturnal vermin, works good when they runnin!