Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Killer" Whale back on the job!

Just saw the news clip stating the Killer Whale that lived up to it's name last year at Seaworld is back on the job today!

Am I missing something here? The damn thing has killed three people in its career!

It's called a "killer whale" for a reason. It's only doing what nature designed it to do. I doubt it's swimming around missing the darwin winners who get in the pool with it. :-)

Edited by NewColonial

Do you think it knows it did something wrong? You can't punish a creature for doing what nature intended it to do. How will killing it bring back the dead? The humane thing to do would be to set it free where it should have been all along.

"in its career" that's funny, a Killer whale with a career

Edited by TMC

Do you think it knows it did something wrong? You can't punish a creature for doing what nature intended it to do. How will killing it bring back the dead? The humane thing to do would be to set it free where it should have been all along.

or don't get in the pool with it. They have aquariums.

If you play with fire.....

A 20 ton animal in the pool with a 150 pound human, doesn't take much to hurt the person when they're playing.

It's a zoo... the handlers should know the risks - if it's dangerous - let it go - they 'Free'd Willy'.. and a couple others

Killing it makes no sense..

For the record I did not say anything about killing it. I just don't think it is wise to put it back on stage. Retire it, set it loose, something. But back in the show? I wonder if Seaworld's ticket sales will go up from people wanting to see it kill again?

releasing a killer whale which has learned to find and play with people in a fatal way would be a real bad idea. Would you like to be kayaking or snorkelling in the area where they released this one? Somebody needs to grow up and do what needs to be done. As mentioned above, most towns would not hesitate to put down a dog that did the same.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

A 20 ton animal in the pool with a 150 pound human, doesn't take much to hurt the person when they're playing.

It's a zoo... the handlers should know the risks - if it's dangerous - let it go - they 'Free'd Willy'.. and a couple others

You would be killing it by setting it free if it was a captive born animal.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Orca with extra tartar sauce

What kind of culinary criminal are you??? It's not fish.

I'm thinking monster sized fillets cooked very rare.

Hmmm--do you call the cut a fillet on a warm blooded critter? Or would "steak" or

maybe "chop" be more correct? Had some whale jerky once--I think it was smoked over

dried caribou dung. The longer I chewed on it the bigger it got. :sick:

The thing i think about here is that to get many orcas initially for these types of shows, they captured 400% more than they were able train, and those creatures were not returned to the wild but rather destroyed. Those that are born in captivity, I don't really know much about their health, but I remember reading somewhere that those captured and trained usually have all kinds of problems. They were not meant to be trained like many other predators we train for circus type acts. Like said before you play with fire... I kind of get a sick sense of joy when we silly humans think we can tame the wild and pay the price. We really are dumb like that. Poisonous snakes, tigers, alligators, they belong in the wild, not your backyard or in the circus. I'm not a tree hugger, really, and not anti much of anything, but I don't go to the circus, or buy rare or exotic animals as pets. I don't need to see someone torture the elephants and tigers, or the hassle of feeding and raising such creatures.

OK - new plan - then retrain it to eat the sea lions around the public piers in the bays.. I'm sure the sea lions at Pier 39 (San Francisco) could keep it fed for years! Sea Lions are the pigeons of the ocean mammals.. lol

OK - new plan - then retrain it to eat the sea lions around the public piers in the bays.. I'm sure the sea lions at Pier 39 (San Francisco) could keep it fed for years! Sea Lions are the pigeons of the ocean mammals.. lol

LOL, I'm sure it would enjoy that.

Right? win-win-win... clean up the sea lions - get a new tourist attraction.... feed the Killer Whale for free!

Right? win-win-win... clean up the sea lions - get a new tourist attraction.... feed the Killer Whale for free!

I don't have any desire to pay to see one swim around in a pool with people. But, I'd pay a few bucks to see a feeding at Pier 39 anytime!

Here's a recipe for idiocy on a grand scale.

Take an apex predator of choice, in and effort to give it a "career" confine it, frustrate it, and attempt to control it through manipulation of its natural instinctual and genetic drives.

When it simply acts in accordance with its very nature, destroy it.

Makes perfect sense.