Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI TRojan 40S&W - how to make it run

TonyT

When my STI Trojan in 40 S&W runs it performs well but getting it to load reliably from a full magazine with the slide locked back has been iffy. Has anyone found the secret to reliable reloads?

What's your OAL on the ammo you're using? Longer rounds are going to feed better,especially from slide lock. The longer round hits the feed ramp sooner and starts sliding up the breechface faster helping it feed better. Shorter rounds have more distance before hitting the feed ramp ,they also hit the ramp a lot harder sometimes coming to a complete stop. I run my 40s&w ammo at 1.18 oal.

Edited by Roy Hess

I have a Trojan that I run in SS division. I had several issues with mine doing the same thing. The combination I found that works for mine is standard length ammo, Tripp Cobra .40 mags, and an EGW high mag catch. This catch holds the mag slightly higher in the gun and makes it load better from slide lock. I shoot with several other SS shooters and all of our guns run great, but all have their own combinations. One thing I will say that is the same is the mags, the Tripp Cobra mags are the best on the market and the easiest to maintain. Good luck with your Trojan, let me know if there is anyting I can do to help.

I second Rob's sentiment.

I'm running 10rd "System" mags (fits the IDPA box) and they are flawless. You have to phone Tripp about these mags, as they aren't on his web site.

My OAL is 1.135"

First, you were REALLY lonely when you wrote the headline, right? :surprise:

I agree with the High Mag Catch. Mine was nose-diving that first round, whether I was loading standard-length out of a Tripp or Mec-Gar mag or loading long rounds out of a CMC 10mm mag. I pushed up on the magazine and noticed that it would work. I use a JP Enterprises mag catch, but I don't know if he makes them anymore.

My current set-up is the CMC 10mm mags and long-loaded.

I have one of the first generation Trojans. The feed ramps were cut wrong on those and were notorious for not feeding. (This particular gun was so bad that a guy gave it to me for building him an AR-15.) They have fixed it in subsequent generations.

There are literally hundreds of posts on this very topic, and contrary to Chuck's opinion, the newer generation guns are better, but some still suffer feeding problems (not bashing them, I own two of them). A fraction of the reading you'll find if you search for "Trojan" are listed here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122123&view=findpost&p=1380487

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll try the longer load and the high mag catch. I am currently loading a 165 gr. JHP to 1.135" and it seemed to function perfectly for a while but recently I have experienced problems. The same loads work flawlessly in my PO16-40.

If you have any .45, single stack magazines, give them a try, they will allow the round to be a little bit higher, and you can load them as long as your chamber will allow. :cheers:

I had several issues with mine doing the same thing. The combination I found that works for mine is standard length ammo, Tripp Cobra .40 mags, and an EGW high mag catch. This catch holds the mag slightly higher in the gun and makes it load better from slide lock.

I have searched and read and searched again, and this is the first time I have seen anything about the EGW high mag catch!

First, you were REALLY lonely when you wrote the headline, right? :surprise:

I agree with the High Mag Catch. Mine was nose-diving that first round, I pushed up on the magazine and noticed that it would work. I use a JP Enterprises mag catch, but I don't know if he makes them anymore.

EXACTLY! MINE DOES THE EXACT SAME THING! I SLAP THE MAG AND IT LOADS EVERY TIME!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell, just kinda excited.

WG

I had the feeding problems using Tripp 40 S&W mags. Vergil suggested the 10 mm mags & sent me 5 mags, I have not had a problem since from either lock back or no lock back. I now use truncated, semi-truncated & round nose without a problem. No more feeding problems!

Ok, STI .40 S&W Sentry. With the stock mag, it ran great.

I needed more than one mag so I did some research and came up with Wilson Combat Mags (the ones for .40 S&W only). I bought the Wilson mags and they would just not feed reliably. I played with the feed lips, polished the ramp a few times, tuned the extractor, but it still would not feed reliably. I read a thread talking about the EGW High mag release (THIS ONE). I ordered one, slapped that puppy in and VOILA! The Wilson mags work. They feed, everything.

Now for the big BUT. It is very difficult to seat a mag with 9 rounds in it, other than in an open slide configuration and the stock mag will not latch any more. So now, I am down to 4 Wilson mags and no barney mag (my stock sti mag, which I hate anyway, it has a very short base on it and thus is up inside the magwell). Shooting Single Stack, this is not really a problem, load 9 in my first mag. and load from slide lock.

So did I just create a band-aid for another problem, should I just buy a couple more Wilson's and call it good, or are there more issues?

The Wilson mags do not touch anything they shouldn't inside the gun. I double checked the ejector. One other thing, the slide lock is now 100% with the empty Wilson mags. I took out the Wilson mags and a box of PMC 165 grain .40 S&W's. The gun ran perfectly. BUT, again, I could only run 8 rounds in each mag. I also, just for kicks, tried a Wilson .45 mag. They wouldn't lock in any more either. I am not sure what to think.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WG

• 2 weeks later...

Just sent my Trojan down to Virgil Tripp as I was having nose-dives, too. He said, "Let me play with it a bit, I kinda know my way around and STI..." - I had to laugh out loud at that!!! Pretty confident it will come back running like a champ!

Somebody on here wrote a list of good parts to have in a 1911 .40 gun. Might be worth a look in this section....

This is a HINT!

Good luck drilling/tapping the EGW catch for an extended button. They are Rockwell hardness of drill bits and taps, apparently, because they eat them.

Use Tripp 10mm 9 round Cobra mags. Had the same problems and the 10mm mags cured the problem. That little bit of difference in the mag now gives me 100% reliability. I shoot the gun now from slide lock. Used to have to shoot it from no slide lock and still didn't have the reliability.

When I had explained my problem Vergil Tripp recommended the use of the 10mm mags.

Edited by 40S&W

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally received the extra high mag catch from EGW and installed it - now the slide will not close where there kis a magazine in the well. Also I cannot seat some mags with the action closed. I believe a semi-high mag catch might work.