Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hoppe's No.9 has a lot of uses...

While cleaning one of the guns a moment ago, I had an inspiration:

I use 2" transparent packaging tape for a lot of things--reinforcing books and periodicals headed for the Jail, reparing bookcases at the Jail (yes, really), actual packaging for mailings, misc household repairs, etc. But the packaging tape leaves a gummy residue on scissor blades that's been driving me NUTZ for ages! I've tried all manner of non-ingestable solutions and none worked. So, while staring down the opening of the Hoppe's bottle, I realized I hadn't yet tried THIS wonderful stuff on the scissor residue.

Holy crap, the gummy stuff all but FELL off the blades!! Many of you may already know how well it works on stuff like this (but I don't recall seeing anything like this particular usage mentioned on the forum), so now you know--in case you didn't already. B)

"Thanks, SiG Lady.. Another tool for the arsenal. Of cleaning products!!!"

:bow:

We used to use GooGone to clean up old sticker and adhesive residue on the outside of computer cases that we refurbished. It was pretty decent stuff but I have a feeling Hoppe's would've worked faster and better.

Oh, and I just remembered we used to use lighter fluid on the computer cases, too... but had to be a little careful with it.

Stuff called "Prep-All" for getting metal completely clean for automotive painting is another option.

Use it to do my final clean on match rounds, removes EVERYTHING, and smells very similar to zippo fluid, but cost about $6 a quart.

Another great use for Hoppe's.

Leave an open container on a shelf in the living room before guests come over.

It's an inviting, fresh scent that reflects positively on the hosts and exclaims, "Our guns are clean!".

lol. Love the the Martha Stewart format.

Being prior in the medical field, I use alcohol wipes for all sorts of cleaning, although I'm sure nail polish remover would work too. It seems to get the gunk off of anything i'm trying to get residue off of. To a lesser extent soap, water, and a brush work too. I reuse plastic bottles (think like peanut butter jars) for small parts, bullets, etc. Just sharpie the top what's inside, and you have a nice, stackable, convenient, cheap method of organization.

In a related note, anyone have any collective intelligence on cleaning gorilla glue off? like from inside/around the spout? I've been reverting to buying the smallest GG bottles I could find, because of after a few uses the glue seals off and the whole bottle ambers into a solid clump I have to go to a new bottle.