Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

who carries the same glock the compete with?

sig chaser

My boss is supportive of USPSA and bullseye so when I started, I used my G22 for work and USPSA. After about 5 months, I couldn't stand the trijicon sights anymore, and wanted to do more to the gun than the dept would let me, so I bought a 34 and set it up how I wanted and started shooting production division. Haven't looked back since, + after about 5,500 rounds, My G22 broke off a frame rail and the locking block pin broke in half. Glock replaced the frame and a lot of the internals for free and did it quickly.

Lawdawg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a one gun shooter for now, so my Gen4 G17 is completely stock and is both my PD/competition gun -- polymer sights and 5.5 lb connector. I'm still trying to stay in the mindset of competing what I would use in "real life", recognizing that I'm not going to be performing at the top of my division. I've been shooting for less than a year so I want to see my competition performance plateau before I consider modifying my Glock. I'd like to push the "It's the Indian not the arrow" concept as far as I can.

SeaTact. If I may make one suggestion I would get the polymer sights off the weapon if its used for duty. They are just not robust enough and can easily be broken off if you use them for one handed weapon manipulation. They were never really intended to be carried on duty (this was stated at my armorers class) and were made the way they are to keep the cost down since most end users will change them anyway. If you like the stock sight picture glock offers steel versions that can take a beating. Just a suggestion.

All four of my Glocks (G17, G19, G21 and G34) are used for both carry and competition. All are normally carried in Blade-Tech IWB holsters. The G17 and G21 have Glock steel sights; the G34 has a set of Warren Tacticals, and the G19 a set of Trijicons. All but the G34 have the standard connector and coil trigger spring; the G34 has the "-" connector and a NY1 trigger spring.

Best, Jon

G19 with Meprolight night sights. Glockmeister trigger.

Daily carry: Mitch Rosen 5JR-DL holster. One spare magazine in a Rosen MBS-DL magazine carrier. Speer 124 gr. GDHP ammo.

Competition: Blade-Tech SRB holster and magazine carriers. Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP over 4.2 gr. Titegroup at 1.120" COAL.

I'm a one gun shooter for now, so my Gen4 G17 is completely stock and is both my PD/competition gun -- polymer sights and 5.5 lb connector. I'm still trying to stay in the mindset of competing what I would use in "real life", recognizing that I'm not going to be performing at the top of my division. I've been shooting for less than a year so I want to see my competition performance plateau before I consider modifying my Glock. I'd like to push the "It's the Indian not the arrow" concept as far as I can.

I'm a civ, but +1 from me.

I carry and do IDPA SSP with my Gen4 G17 in a CompTac M-Tac slide with a 1-3/4" Galco Belt. I use a slide in case I ever want to get a compact or subcompact. I use a Safariland 5187 and a 1-3/4" Wilderness Tactical belt for USPSA production. I use one double mag pouch in IDPA and two doubles in USPSA, but when I carry I just toss one extra mag in a carpenter or coat pocket. Unless I go down town at night :ph34r:

All innards on the Glock are stock, but when I had a Gen3 G17 I ran with a 3-1/2# connector. I of course swapped the sights. I went with the 10-8 .150 rear notch and a the 10-8 brass bead front. I dig them.

I dont compete yet, but I am going to a new shooter clinic next month to get started. I carry a G19 and want to use that, but I think I will end up with several problems. My carry gun has a grip plug, skate tape ontop of the slide, added stiplling under triggerguard, and my holster only retains the gun with a weapon light attached. This will be USPSA shooting, how bad is all this going to be? I can get a new holster, remove plug and tape but the stippling cant be undone. I plan on only rocking the g19 til I get a dedicated gun like a 17 or 34.

If you have stippled the grip, it bumps you into Limited in USPSA I think. Which is really not a big deal, since you plan to get another gun. You probably won't even get classified before the new purchase. You will need a new holster, and start reading the rule book on Production guns, so you know what to buy, and where to not spend your money. Ask around, there is probably a shooter at your club with a spare Glock wanting to sell it.

Thank you,

Sorry for the thread drift here:

Since I am pretty set on getting a 34 should I just go ahead and buy a 34 holster, my 19 should fit for now right? I will probably go with a CompTac holster and from previous holsters it seems that shorter Glocks always fit and retain well in Comptac holsters built for longer ones(as long as I dont get a Gen4 anyway).

it seems that shorter Glocks always fit and retain well in Comptac holsters built for longer ones(as long as I dont get a Gen4 anyway).

I think the only Gen4 pistols with holster problems are the G34 and G35 because the recoil assembly has a bigger radius and is exposed, so on some holsters they don't fit. On my Comptac MTAC slide or a BladeTech OWB slide I didn't have any problems with my old holsters when I switched from my Gen3 to Gen4 G17. :cheers:

Been carrying my G35 that I shoot USPSA limited with - Vanek trigger, ISMI guide rod and 13# spring. I just take the magwell off and use my regular 15rd 40 mags.

Now that Im back to shooting Production, and using a Glock 34, I'll carry that. ISMI guide rod and 13# spring, Vanek trigger. I have a Bladetech Light Compatible G34/35 holster I'll use for carry with light attached or I'll use my Crossbreed IWB Glock holster.

More trigger time with the same gun the better.

glock 22 for carry and glock 17 for IDPA. I like the 17 but have a gen 4 and wouldn't trust that piece with my life. It's fun at the range though.

I'm actually surprised that a caliber conversation hasn't started yet.

40 cal for defense but when there are 9mm's "competing" with 45 w/ no disadvantages in IDPA...

I guess you all are to civil for that.

I personally don't care, just surprised it hasn't come up yet.

Edited by t_kothmann

Since this is a competition forum, we are actually lucky to keep this thread open. If we wandered off into the best caliber for self defense, the thread would probably get shut down. It's the rules, and we all have to play by them. :cheers:

G 23 for carry and IDPA competition. For USPSA, I use G 34 for Production and 35 for Ltd/Ltd 10. I downplay the competitive element in IDPA and just practice skills that may come in handy for self defense. I wear a full length fully buttoned shirt that covers the holster and gun just as I do when I carry instead of the open vest that most shooters use. The vest reveals the gun and holster too often when I carry.

I have yet to shoot a match but I picked up a Glock 19 for a Carry gun, and a M&P Pro 9 to shoot in matches.

Now I am thinking about using the 19 some, or maybe switching the Pro for a Glock 17/34. I really like the Pro, but it is not the same as my Carry choice, and none of the M&Ps really match the 19 in size. The Compact I didn't like the feel of and the rest are all the size of the Pro which has a grip which I have a hard time hiding.

I think using you carry gun in a match would be great training which is why I wanted to get into this anyway. I think I am over thinking it all, but I did order quite a few extra mags, if I decide to go that path.

I carry a Glock 23 usually, and was using it to shoot IDPA for a little over a month, my mindset was shoot what you carry. The problem I ran into is that I left it at home once and drive the hour to a match only to realize I didn't have it with me. Another shooter let me borrow his Glock 17, and I loved the way I shot with it.

So what I did was get a Glock 34 to replace the 23 as my IDPA gun, and I will also be shooting the 34 in other matches locally. The 23 is back being my dedicated carry gun, and this is where it will stay.

I also have a Glock 35 that I used in USPSA Limited a while back. I will be keepoing it handy for that purpose if I start USPSA again.

• 5 months later...

i compete and carry with my glock 19. I am weird in the fact i shoot USPSA production and only compete with what i carry daily. My set up consists of a kramer iwb #3 or a bladetech depending on time of year, warren or 10-8 performance sights depending on which 19 i grab from the safe, and i have a habit of switching between a 5.5 trigger to a ny-1 to switch things up from time to time . Some guys get aggravated at me because this setup got me a GM card in production and they don't understand how that's possible.

thats what i tell them. I have told some of our local shooters to practice more with what they have and don't worry about that 5,000 dollar open gun till they get a little better , i immediately get that deer in the headlights look and they tell me a custom HAS TO BE BETTER!! . Oh well to each their own i guess

Right now I been using my Gen 4 Glock 17 in competition but its also my Duty Gun, and Carry Gun. I might eventually get a glock for competition only or a 26 just for carry. The way I look at it by using my Duty/Carry Gun in 3 Gun I am becoming better with that system by practicing with it so if I ever have to use it in real life I won't doubt myself one bit, and know my limits. Plan on taking it with me and using it for a local Steel Challenge coming up in my area as well.

• 4 months later...

I am issued a Glock 21 at work, and I compete with a Glock 21...it's just not my issued Glock 21. My issued gun cannot be modified in any way by anyone other than an agency armorer. Therefore, I purchased another Glock 21 and went to work with things like trigger adjustments, spring replacements, different sights, and stippling which make competition shooting a little faster. However, all of the training and practice I've ever had has been with Glocks so changing mechanics for 3-Gun matches seemed silly. Plus I have a full set of holsters and mag pouches already for the Glock 21, and I get free .45 rounds from work to practice with....I just choose to "practice" at my monthly 3-Gun matches. :D