Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

who carries the same glock the compete with?

sig chaser

Just a little curious how many of you carry the same weapon you compete with? If you do which model? How do you carry it and why did you choose it? I recently started in idpa and use my carry gun a glock 19 (although I have been carrying my 17 a lot recently so it will be used too) I use the same holster (a kaluban cloak) and the same mag pouches in fact the only thing different is my mags because I don't want to drop my carry mags repetedly lol. My best friend does the same thing going as far as to shoot the classifier with his 27. I guess we veiw this more as a way to stay sharp then as a competition and figured we can't be the only ones who feel this way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For about five years my daily carry gun was the Gock 34 that I used primarily in IDPA Stock Service Pistol and occasionally in USPSA Production, I used the same straight drop Blade-Tech Standard Belt holster and double mag pouch as I carried every day. The same sort of 17-round factory Glock mags, downloaded to 10 rounds in accordance with the rules in both sports. Recently I switched from the 34 to the 17 for carry and match use. Still using a straight drop Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster, still using 17-round mags. The only difference is that these days I'm running two Ky-Tac single mag pouches - for carry and IDPA match use - instead of the Blade-Tech double. For USPSA I just add a couple more Ky-Tac singles.

I chose a Glock 9mm as a match/carry gun for all the reasons that everyone chooses Glocks as match/carry guns: light weight; short, consistent trigger pulls; reliability; ease of detail stripping; ease of home pistolsmithing; a very low bore axis yielding lesser muzzle flip than guns with high bore axes; etc.

Having said that, please in this thread let's bear in mind that, while the occasional self-defense post is not strictly verboten, discussions of self-defense are strongly discouraged. If this thread moves much in the "best gun for self-defense carry" direction, then I or another moderator will have no choice but to close it.

I totally agree I am on other forums for self defense (lord knows there are enough of them out there) I joined this one with the hope of learning to be a better shooter. I was just curious as to what people are doing. I mean from a very basic stand point the guns we train with the most are our competition guns so it would seem that they would fit the bill for carry as well. As to the jasons's question my glocks wear warren tactical sight and have ny1 triggers with - connectors and smooth triggers. I honestly like this trigger a lot as it feels more like a traditional da trigger to me (which is big since I'm required to carry a wheel gun at work and trasitioning from it to the standard glock trigger was messing me up). For a while this winter I debated getting a 34 to use in competition but then decided that I enjoy competeing with my carry gear and would continue to do so. As a side note I am really enjoying this forum and can't wait to learn more.

Edited by sig chaser

The G17. Really the best of both worlds IMO. I should say it was my daily carry and Production gun. It morphed into an Open gun a year ago. wink.gif

The why is up to the individual. I wanted to compete with something bigger than a G19 and carry something smaller than the G34. So there you go...

I still have both trigger groups. The Vanek Classic was used for Production and a slicked up OEM trigger with a LWD connector in the carry configuration.

Jim

I carry and compete with my G19, Sparks Exec Companion and Bianchi double mag holder. I mainly shoot IDPA with a little Steel Challenge and USPSA thrown in.

I have a G17 and a kydex OWB holster and can see a little draw speed improvement with the kydex but I have so many reps with my carry rig that the grip and index change with the 17 means I'm slower with it than I am with the 19. Both guns have Amerliglo Defoor sights and a "-" disconnector.

I classified SSP Master with the 19 and carry rig but have failed twice to make ESP master. I may have found my limit on that setup.

Gringop

Can I ask if you modified your carry/competition glock to have a competition trigger? I've been debating the idea of doing this on my own G17.

Well, I dislike the term "competition trigger" in this venue. I didn't modify my gun to have a competition trigger. I modified it to have a lighter trigger pull that is perfectly safe given my skill level.

Can I ask if you modified your carry/competition glock to have a competition trigger? I've been debating the idea of doing this on my own G17.

Well, I dislike the term "competition trigger" in this venue. I didn't modify my gun to have a competition trigger. I modified it to have a lighter trigger pull that is perfectly safe given my skill level.

You Smoothed your trigger to make it more uniform from pull to pull. :cheers:

I shoot a G34 in IDPA but usually carry my G17 or G19.

For me, size has nothing to do with it. The G34 has been set up to shoot softer loads closer to the minimum PF, while my G17 and G19 that I carry are sprung a little heavier to handle my +P carry loads. I'm also a little more comfortable with a stronger recoil spring to strip rounds out of mags loaded to full capacity and ensure the gun is in battery for firing.

13lb ISMI in the G34.

Stock OEM spring in the G17 & G19.

-Randy

For me, size has nothing to do with it. The G34 has been set up to shoot softer loads closer to the minimum PF, while my G17 and G19 that I carry are sprung a little heavier to handle my +P carry loads. I'm also a little more comfortable with a stronger recoil spring to strip rounds out of mags loaded to full capacity and ensure the gun is in battery for firing.

I have about 41k through my G34, and around 22k through the G17, and, once I tested them both in stock form for articles to start, the very first thing I did was switch out the stock recoil springs for ISMI 13-pounders. I've never had a problem stripping rounds out of a fully loaded mags, and I've also fired hundreds of rounds of +P and +P+ ammo without a single problem.

If it helps reassure you that the Glock 17/34 is not going to get beaten to hell by firing +P and +P+ ammo through it, here's a list of all the ammo of that type I've put through both guns.

GLOCK 17

Black Hills 115-gr. JHP +P (Red Box): 10 rounds

Black Hills 115-gr. Tac-XP +P (Red Box): 17 rounds

Federal 115-gr. JHP +P+ (9BPLE): 30 rounds

Remington 115-gr. JHP +P: 27 rounds

Winchester 127-gr. SXT +P+: 236 rounds

Total: 320 rounds

GLOCK 34

Federal 124-gr. Hydra Shok JHP +P+: 29 rounds

Winchester 124-gr. SXT +P: 46 rounds

Winchester 127-gr. SXT +P+: 66 rounds

Total: 141 rounds

Admittedly this would be more impressive if it was thousands of rounds instead of hundreds, but still I'm not really worried the guns are going to die a hideous death through firing a moderate amount of +P/+P+ on a 13-pound recoil spring. :) BTW the feed reliability rate for all 461 rounds was 100 percent.

Just a little curious how many of you carry the same weapon you compete with? If you do which model? How do you carry it and why did you choose it? I recently started in idpa and use my carry gun a glock 19 (although I have been carrying my 17 a lot recently so it will be used too) I use the same holster (a kaluban cloak) and the same mag pouches in fact the only thing different is my mags because I don't want to drop my carry mags repetedly lol. My best friend does the same thing going as far as to shoot the classifier with his 27. I guess we veiw this more as a way to stay sharp then as a competition and figured we can't be the only ones who feel this way.

I do. Glock 22. CCW'd every day IWB in an MTAC holster... on match days I switch to my primary Production Division rig (Blade-Tech DOH, CR Speed belt, Safariland pouches). Occasionally I CCW my Single Stack (1911) or my other production gun (CZ SP-01). I figured that I might as well get practiced with my carry guns.

S_gorilla45 I just started cracking up when reading your post. I for some reason could picture one of my leo friends who carries a mid sized on duty seeing what you carry lol. The image was pricless. But really I can't blame you why not use the gun your most comfortable with while you can. I'm just glad to see I'm not alone in using one gun for both.

If it helps reassure you that the Glock 17/34 is not going to get beaten to hell by firing +P and +P+ ammo through it, here's a list of all the ammo of that type I've put through both guns.

Admittedly this would be more impressive if it was thousands of rounds instead of hundreds, but still I'm not really worried the guns are going to die a hideous death through firing a moderate amount of +P/+P+ on a 13-pound recoil spring. :) BTW the feed reliability rate for all 461 rounds was 100 percent.

Awesome! I really appreciate you posting this. I've also had 100% function with the 13lb ISMI with regards to feeding. The only problem I had with my G17 pulling out of battery with light primer strikes was with a 14lb Wolff, but that was before I went to Jager strikers and reduced power striker springs. I've viewed the OEM springs like a safety blanket, but I guess it's insurance I probably don't need. Looks like I'll be moving to 13lb ISMI springs for all of them!

Thanks,

-Randy

Starting last year, I began using a G23 in competition for IDPA, the same gun I use for SD. What I have done is use IDPA for practicing self defense skills while I shoot IPSC for true competition shooting. In IDPA, I don't use the khaki, open vest, but rather an oversize shirt buttoned that I normally wear for carry. This slows me down a bit but it's realistic training since wearing an open vest too often exposes the holster and gun, in my view. I use my G34 and G35 for IPSC in Production and Limited/L10 respectively. This arrangement works well for me. I just don't get too concerned about how competitive I am in IDPA.

Awesome! I really appreciate you posting this. I've also had 100% function with the 13lb ISMI with regards to feeding. The only problem I had with my G17 pulling out of battery with light primer strikes was with a 14lb Wolff, but that was before I went to Jager strikers and reduced power striker springs. I've viewed the OEM springs like a safety blanket, but I guess it's insurance I probably don't need. Looks like I'll be moving to 13lb ISMI springs for all of them!

Thanks,

-Randy

Yer welcome. :)

Carry Glock 22 on duty with NY1 trigger & 5lb connector....about 8 1/2lb trigger. Compete with both a G22 set up with same trigger as my duty gun, and a G35 with a Vanek trigger. I also carry a stock G27 or G23 off duty depending on weather.

z-

Edited by zipper046

I am very pleased to see some LE guys speaking up as well. I would love to see some of my co workers compete instead most shoot the mandatory 60 rd qual each year (complaining the whole time) and that's it. I know competitions aren't training and that they will never be equal to the stress of a real life encounter but in my mind shooting outside a square range with the stress of a timer can't hirt and besides it tons of fun. We are supposedly switching to m&p pistols soon and when we do I plan to try some idpa with my duty gear to get used to it.

G22 for USPSA and G22C for CCW carry with a Blade-Tech IWB holster. Both have Sevigny competition sights with red FO front, Charlie Vanek triggers, and 11# ISMI recoil spring with stainless captured guiderods.