Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My STI Trojan 9mm is driving me CRAZY!

whatsupglock

So the first problem I had was with inconsistent trigger pulls. $200 later the problem is fixed. After owning the gun for a month the firing pin spring was crushed/shattered in the slide, the slide stop has cracked, and the ejector is loose.

NOW the gun is having feed problems with about 1000 to 1500 rounds through the gun when reloading from slide lock. Hollow points are a no go period. I'm okay with that. I'm shooting 147 gr RN Berry's double struck plated bullets loaded to 1.160 oal. The gun cycles perfectly if reloaded with the slide closed, but when its open, its a 50/50 guess as to if it's going to load properly or not. Sometimes it loads fine, sometimes it doesn't. I load the same mags, the same way, in the same order, and cycle them the same order for every string of fire. I'm using Tripp 10 rd cobra mags. I have 6 of them. At $35 a pop, it's an investment.

I love this gun. It shoots really nice. It's accurate as heck, but all this finicky crap IS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND COSTING ME A DANG FORTUNE!!!! Every time I shoot this gun it seems like there's something else wrong. I just want this thing to run. The last match I shot in I wasted 7 seconds on feed problems. That is unacceptable! If I bump the rear of the slide I can slam the slide home and keep on gunnin', but I shouldn't have to do that.

This gun shoots soooo much better than my Glock 34. It feels great, but I just want the dang thing to run. I am really frustrated! I've invested a lot of time and money in this thing and my $600 glock with $130 add on sights is finding its way back into my holster.

Hello: Since you have a lifetime warrenty why didn't you send it back to STI? They are a great company to deal with and will fix your problems :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I will see what they say. I am really hoping there is something I can do to get it fixed. I really don't want to have to send it away, but if they can get it to run 100% I guess I'll send it back. I love the way this gun feels and shoots, I just don't trust it right now for a major match.

STI has great customer service. They will take care of the problem. They will also pay for the shipping both ways!!!!! I had some feeding issues with my Spartan, about identical to your issue actually. My Spartan is non ramped and is usually finiky with anything other than hardball. They made it run by changing the feed lip configuration and barrel link. I helped it with some good metal form elite mags. In your case I believe the Trojan is a ramped barrel so it may be the barrel link needs some attention and possibly a little heavier recoil spring. Give STI a call they will fix it for sure!

I had one problem with my EDGE,,made one phone call sent the slide in was repaired in about two weeks,,no questions ask--just send it to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the first problem I had was with inconsistent trigger pulls. $200 later the problem is fixed. After owning the gun for a month the firing pin spring was crushed/shattered in the slide, the slide stop has cracked, and the ejector is loose.

NOW the gun is having feed problems with about 1000 to 1500 rounds through the gun when reloading from slide lock. Hollow points are a no go period. I'm okay with that. I'm shooting 147 gr RN Berry's double struck plated bullets loaded to 1.160 oal. The gun cycles perfectly if reloaded with the slide closed, but when its open, its a 50/50 guess as to if it's going to load properly or not. Sometimes it loads fine, sometimes it doesn't. I load the same mags, the same way, in the same order, and cycle them the same order for every string of fire. I'm using Tripp 10 rd cobra mags. I have 6 of them. At $35 a pop, it's an investment.

I love this gun. It shoots really nice. It's accurate as heck, but all this finicky crap IS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND COSTING ME A DANG FORTUNE!!!! Every time I shoot this gun it seems like there's something else wrong. I just want this thing to run. The last match I shot in I wasted 7 seconds on feed problems. That is unacceptable! If I bump the rear of the slide I can slam the slide home and keep on gunnin', but I shouldn't have to do that.

This gun shoots soooo much better than my Glock 34. It feels great, but I just want the dang thing to run. I am really frustrated! I've invested a lot of time and money in this thing and my $600 glock with $130 add on sights is finding its way back into my holster.

I have a Trojan that I bought last October and I was having feed problems similar to yours. I am using MG 147gn CMJ's. I'm with you, I love the gun and I did not want to send it back and be with out it for two weeks. I experimented with different COAL's. The first round was nose diving occasionally at a COAL of 1.14. I tested at 1.15 and it got worse. I moved down to 1.13 and went away for the most part. I can still feel a hesitation on the first round from slide lock but it loads. When I have time, I may send it to STI and see if they can fix it.

I just sent mine in. STI was really helpful. I wrote a list of problems and sent it off. The next day I got a e-mail stating they got my gun and will fix the problems as fast as they can.

What kind of problems are you having?

I just sent mine in. STI was really helpful. I wrote a list of problems and sent it off. The next day I got a e-mail stating they got my gun and will fix the problems as fast as they can.

What kind of problems are you having?

Whatsupglock asked me the samething so I'll just paste/post what I IMed him.

My rear sight was moving side to side about 3/32's of a inch. They said they would send me a new one but I've never installed one so I sent it to them. On top of that extractor was loose and I was getting FTE's so they told me how to fix it but I still wanted them to look at it. My new ejector they sent me needed blended in the rear, I had them look at my barrel bushing to make sure it was still tight as I noticed when I bought it the bushing wouldn't go passed a certain point on the barrel and now it slides all the way down. My thumb safety would go up in the slide slot some when hammer was down. Was told it was normal and I did check my other 1911's and they did the same. Had a nick on the feed ramp (lower right side) and asked about the nose dives with JHP's

This is the E-mail I recieved when they got my gun the next day.

"Hey Victor, I received your pistol today I want to tell you that you got the extractor tension just about perfect. The thumb safety moving up slightly with the hammer down is normal on our pistols, and is not considered a problem if does not stop the slide. Your bushing fit is also normal, it has a small amount of in and out play, but is tight up and down and side to side both to the barrel and to the slide, so I would not be concerned about it as this will not affect accuracy. As for your other complaints we will get them fixed as soon as we can. Thanks"

So now I wait. I'm having STI Trojan withdraws. :D I agree with the OP. I love this gun but want it to run 100%. The only thing I want to worry about is when I need to change the recoil & mainsprings. This is the gun I will be shooting at in IDPA this year so I hope it runs great when I get it back. I would like to run JHP's but if it runs fine with CMJ's & FMJ RN as it did before I sent it in then I will be happy.

When I get it back I will update. O, and I think STI's CS is awesome.

I have a Trojan in 9mm. I had lots of problems at first. Broke the ejector and STI sent me another on. The fix was a 38/40 ejector. Had problems with the extractor and ended up going to an Aftec. Slight throat job and polished the feed ramp. Did a small bevel cut to the top of the slide stop, my gun was going to slide lock with rounds left in the magazine. Did a lot of testing with springs both main and recoil. I'm using Wilson magazines and cut two coils off the magazine spring.

Gun now runs good and likes oil. I don't think it's possible to over oil it, always put a drop on the slide stop on the inside. I use Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil and a small needle oiler from Brownells.

The little Trojan has moved to the top of my favorite pistols, just a lot of fun.

It and I like the heavier bullets and I use 147's, lead outdoors and either Frontier plated or Precision Delta jacketed indoors or matches.

STI has been very helpful the few times I have called them with a problem on one of their pistols.

Great, now I know why STI hasn't gotten back to me about my Trojan 9, they've been tied up taking care of you guys!

I like the gun, in fact mine happens to run great, but in hindsight I wish i'd been more pragmatic about what parts would have to get changed out to get it up to match form. I could have probably bought 2 Shadows that'd shoot just as well as it with far less drama when I add up what it's cost me to get it to where it's dialed now.

1911's can hurt, they either cost you to get 'em to run or they cost you 'cause you can change out everything that's bugging you (if your wallet is up to it).

Edited by ck1

With few exceptions most pistols will need reliability work once you start using it in competitions. I started this game with Glocks and had plenty of problems with them early on. I've seen almost as many polymer wonder-guns puke as 1911's. The fact is that manufacturers don't usually produce guns at a quality control level that will withstand our level of use. However, I believe that most modern pistols will run great with some fine tuning. If you like the Trojan get it up and running and a year from now you'll not even remember how much you spent.

Good luck,

DVC

Cheers623

I suffered through some of this. It may be that the top round in full mag - especially if you are at slide lock - is hitting the ejector. I am told this is a common problem with 9mm single stacks. It will cause a jam and break/loosen the ejector. Take the slide off and check how it looks when inserting a full mag. my gunsmith shaved a little off the ejector. there are other solutions. Ask Virgil Tripp about this issue.

I suffered through some of this. It may be that the top round in full mag - especially if you are at slide lock - is hitting the ejector. I am told this is a common problem with 9mm single stacks. It will cause a jam and break/loosen the ejector. Take the slide off and check how it looks when inserting a full mag. my gunsmith shaved a little off the ejector. there are other solutions. Ask Virgil Tripp about this issue.

My ejector is for sure loose. Very loose. It's been that way since I got the gun. I am going to give Virgil a call this afternoon. Maybe he has some wisdom on the this issue. Seems to be a trend.

Soooooo...The nose dive death jam is done, but I'm still having feed issues on slide lock reloads. Dimmit! I shot a match Wednesday and every slide lock reload failed to go into batter by probably .25 to .5 inches. A tap on the rear of the slide fixed the issue, but man what a headache. The gun functions flawlessly and shoots amazingly well until I have to slide lock relaod. I can not duplicate the problem. I'm sure that it is something I'm doing, or not doing, correctly when that buzzer goes off and I'm ready to rip through a course. I'm just about convinced that in my fog of adrenaline I'm mashing the slide with one of my thumbs and I'm just not aware that I'm doing it.

I tried to fit an extended slide release. The only ones I could find were for 45 acp. It won't work with the Cobra Mags, but it does work with the STI mag the gun came with. I'm going to try some Dawson mags and see what happens. Frustration is takings it's toll on me.

Maybe when releasing the slide you're putting pressure on the slide and slowing it down with another part of your grip? Also, try polishing the extractor and maybe a heavier recoil spring? Not sure what recoil spring you have in there but perhaps go with a little heavier one?

Just some thoughts I had, good luck!

My buddies single stack was sticking open about .25" only from slide lock as well. His gunsmith suggested swapping to a new recoil spring, not heavier just NEW. He stated he had just changed it at the beginning of the year. After another failed slide lock load, he pulled the spring and replaced with a new one. The old spring was shorter than the new and may not have actually been replaced as he thought. Then it ran.

.40s are the worst, followed by 9mm, to tune in a 1911. Mags, mags, mags. EGW raised mag catch, feedramp, chamber mouth and mags.

When all else fails, seek out a professional.

Yeah, I'd guess recoil spring like everyone else. My Trojan 9 would do this every now and again after I had a few hundred rounds through it and once it started to pick up some grime and dry out a little and running a 9lb ISMI spring, I went up to a 10lb spring and it hasn't happened since even under the same conditions, and shoots just about as flat, hardly a difference (actually think I like the feel of the 10 better, seems faster back into battery).

So I didn't send the gun back to STI. I wanted to try a few things first. I ran the gun Wednesday night and had ZERO problems. Here's what I did to fix it. I am a little cautious to say it's 100% good to go, but it looks very promising.

The ejector needed some material removed so it would not touch the magazine or top round in the magazine. The ejector pin was replaced which locked the ejector in much tighter. I also polished and checked the disconnector to make sure it wasn't hanging up on the front edge of the breach faced as the slide cycled. I also left my magazines fully loaded to allow the springs to take set. I also noticed my magazine followers were bent at varying consistencies so I bent them all to have about 0.280" of clearance/angle. I left the 10 lbs variable recoil spring alone for now.

So far, the above listed "work" has gotten the gun up and running. Fingers crossed. This gun shoots really, really sweet and I'd love to make it my primary competition gun.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to post a little update on my Trojan. The thing is running 100% now, and I couldn't be happier with this gun. I actually thought about selling it a few weeks ago, but I decided to keep it. I am really glad I did. Once the single stack 1911 9mm bugs get worked out and the gun is broken in, and the right magazine combination is found for the gun, this little Trojan just rocks!