Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After many weeks of paper work and gathering info for our insurance company, they just backed out from insuring our handguns if they leave our property. Doesn't do us much good since we travel to compete. :closedeyes:

Looking for some good companies out there that will insure competition guns. Any help would be appreciated. :cheers:

Since I will be wanting coverage in a few months myself I went ahead and made a call to NRA.

1-877-672-3006 Option #3

Armscare Plus policy

$17.40 per thousand

You don't give any serial numbers.

Covers everything except giving your gun to the hotel staff to put it in a common safe. Room safes are covered.

Covers Stolen from a LOCKED car. Hotel room. Airport, lobbies, your house, etc..

NRA already provides you with $2500 for free.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find something better/cheaper. Like I said I need some too.:)

Kevin

This policy doesnt cover if you give the gun to any third party, like a TSA agent, or leave it in any unlocked vehicle, (like an airplane) So basically zero coverage if the airline looses it.

I asked the agent 3 times if the gun is covered in the above situation, 3 times he dodged the question. I wouldnt buy the NRA policy unless they gave me in writing airline travel was fully covered.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting, because when I talked with my agent, she said the Firearms and Accessories were covered. I asked if the reloading machine was covered and I got a "Huh?". When I tried to explain what a Dillon 550 was, she said "No, we don't cover the ammo". I tried to explain that I was talking about a machine that makes ammo, so I was wondering if it was an accessory. She still wasn't understanding, so I said don't worry about it. When I call back to get the insurance, I'll try again and see if I get someone that knows what it is and if it's covered.

That's interesting, because when I talked with my agent, she said the Firearms and Accessories were covered. I asked if the reloading machine was covered and I got a "Huh?". When I tried to explain what a Dillon 550 was, she said "No, we don't cover the ammo". I tried to explain that I was talking about a machine that makes ammo, so I was wondering if it was an accessory. She still wasn't understanding, so I said don't worry about it. When I call back to get the insurance, I'll try again and see if I get someone that knows what it is and if it's covered.

I would be careful with repeated questions about a "machine that makes ammo" even being in your house (which is presumably covered by the same agent). I would quietly assume that between "firearms" or "household items" a reloader either falls into one category or the other.

I mean insurance would cover it either way so who cares which one really does? :unsure:

I would be careful with repeated questions about a "machine that makes ammo" even being in your house (which is presumably covered by the same agent). I would quietly assume that between "firearms" or "household items" a reloader either falls into one category or the other.

I mean insurance would cover it either way so who cares which one really does? :unsure:

+1

It's a tool like a drill press, table saw..... covered

We paid homeowners premiums to State Farm for decades. We then had two claims in one year for water damage, first a leak then a backed up septic, not tiny claims but under $5000 total. They were tough to deal with and then they canceled our policy. They said we were too high risk for them. They have no loyalty to their customers and I cannot recommend them.

We canceled all the other policies we had with them, three dwellings and several vehicles. I think they lost more money from losing our business then they did on paying our claims.

Don't mean to drift but while we are talking about insurance. Would you tell your agent for your home insurance about the powder and primers in your house?

Uh....no! :rolleyes:

Funny part is that we have a small farm. Our agent came by to look at the barn and horse run outs. Basically just to see the improvements we made and to update our coverage. I forgot he was coming by. Anyway, I'm in the garage loading ammo, just finished shooting a few rounds on our backyard range when he drives up. I felt like a kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I just casually started closing cabinets, puting covers on the 1050's and avoiding the range.

He knew what the Dillons were and he made a nice suggestion of "max of 4 lbs of powder" (Maryland law) and I just said "of course"! :roflol: The range conversation was interesting. As long as we don't charge or have a full blown USPSA match there we should be fine.

Bottom line...it's your house. Your insurance company cannot regulate what you own...just don't tell them! :cheers:

Don't mean to drift but while we are talking about insurance. Would you tell your agent for your home insurance about the powder and primers in your house?

Uh....no! :rolleyes:

Funny part is that we have a small farm. Our agent came by to look at the barn and horse run outs. Basically just to see the improvements we made and to update our coverage. I forgot he was coming by. Anyway, I'm in the garage loading ammo, just finished shooting a few rounds on our backyard range when he drives up. I felt like a kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I just casually started closing cabinets, puting covers on the 1050's and avoiding the range.

He knew what the Dillons were and he made a nice suggestion of "max of 4 lbs of powder" (Maryland law) and I just said "of course"! :roflol: The range conversation was interesting. As long as we don't charge or have a full blown USPSA match there we should be fine.

Bottom line...it's your house. Your insurance company cannot regulate what you own...just don't tell them! :cheers:

Wow a whole 4 lb's now that's just funny for some reason

I use these guys: www.collectinsure.com

$35k of coverage for less than $200/year. No sn list required for items valued under $5k. They do encourage you to keep a master list in a safe place in the event of loss.

Whatever is not listed in their specific little categories, like: jewelry, firearms, etc. should be covered under the standard property insurance. You just have to be careful about those little categories with maximum coverage limits.

If I was limited to 4lb of powder in my house, I'd literally move. Is the limit 200 primers? :P

Whatever is not listed in their specific little categories, like: jewelry, firearms, etc. should be covered under the standard property insurance. You just have to be careful about those little categories with maximum coverage limits.

If I was limited to 4lb of powder in my house, I'd literally move. Is the limit 200 primers? :P

:roflol: Yes the Maryland law is pretty dumb. I sort of adopted my own rule/law...4 lbs per shelf! :rolleyes:

i have worked for a lot of big name Insurance Companies and still in the industry...there is coverage on your homeowners (HO) policies but they can be very limited sometimes just $1500 per item up to $2500 total. different companies have option JF or other silly named increase but they usually are still not enough.

i strongly suggest a Personal Articles Policy/Floater, they are usually .15 to .40 cents per hundred insured and covered for replacement cost not Actual cash value (depreciated)... i have written a LOTTTTT of these policies for my friends and guys from my club . covers you anywhere in the world and also the dreaded "Mysterious Disappearance" clause.

Edited by ogiebb

• 4 months later...

Been awhile since I looked at this. I'm going to get insurance next week at the latest. Bigpops, what did you go with?

I am still leaning towards NRA. For those of you who say your insurance company will do riders etc for $10 etc, all I can say is Allstate quoted me $108 a year for $6000 coverage.

Is there something I am missing here?

The NRA insurance is basically worthless...............period! They depreciate the guns as well. I had a break-in, lost about $3,500.00 worth in firearms and got back about $2,000.00. Did not renew the policy the next time it came up.

Alan~^~

yeh the NRA insurance is basically worthless for travel. It doesnt cover airline loss or theft.

Sounds like they are covered?

where the insured has

hired the services of a commercial shipper,

airline, train, bus line or similar service provider

to transport covered property. In such cases,

coverage would apply on an excess basis over

any valid and collectible insurance.

They depreciate the guns as well.

With respect to unscheduled property,

Underwriters shall not be liable beyond

the replacement cost (without deduction

for depreciation) of the property at the

time any loss or damage occurs and the

loss or damage shall be ascertained or

estimated according to such replacement

cost

In respect of scheduled property, Underwriters

shall be liable for the agreed amount set

opposite each item in the schedule of items

covered

I had a GREAT claim process with NRA after my car was broken into....within 7 days of mailing the required documentation I had a $1,000 check in the mail...this was the FREE coverage to all NRA members. Homeowners covered $3,500 and the $1,000 was above what was NOT covered.....Now it is $2500 above what your insurance carrier does not cover....My claim with ALFA (they SUCK by the way) was $6700 and when all the dust cleared I was out $2200.

Airline/Train/Hired carrier IS covered by the NRA underwriter......I just checked on $12,000 (random figure) and the quote was $208 per year....

there is an exclusion in the policy that said something along the lines of, if you voluntarily give your gun to another party, and that loses or it gets stolen its not covered, I asked point blank three times if that included TSA agents or airline baggage check, and three times the agent dodged the question, so nock youself out, I went with farm bureau, they not only didnt dodge any questions they specifically put it in writing on my inventory amendment,that my guns were covered during air travel if the airline or tsa loses or steals it,

there is an exclusion in the policy that said something along the lines of, if you voluntarily give your gun to another party, and that loses or it gets stolen its not covered, I asked point blank three times if that included TSA agents or airline baggage check, and three times the agent dodged the question, so nock youself out, I went with farm bureau, they not only didnt dodge any questions they specifically put it in writing on my inventory amendment,that my guns were covered during air travel if the airline or tsa loses or steals it,

The agent did tell me that if I hand it to a third party like TSA or hotel clerk it is NOT covered. But he said it is covered in transit by the airlines but first the airline has to pay their part of the loss.

I'm sure it would be an ugly process no matter what. I doubt I will ever fly or leave the country with my guns. I just want to be able to grab a bite to eat or whatever without being worried sick all the time.

Soo if it isnt covered when you hand it to a TSA agent then it isnt covered when you travel,seems pretty simple. Air travel is the number one reason I wanted gun insurance.

Hey Guys,

Let me chime in here with some advice for you since:

A-I travel and shot as much as anyone

B-I actually went to college for Insurance and am part owner of an Insurance Agency that insures many of the vendors on this forum.

The best way to insure your precious hardware is through your homeowners insurance policy as scheduled property. Provided you went with a company that will put in writing the do's and don'ts and that you have an agent that "gets" what you do. Company's are in it to make a buck on you-it is the agent that makes the difference. So, as an example Auto Owners Insurance a nice midsized regional insurance company here in Michigan will insure your firearms as a scheduled item on your homeowners policy and that does include while in transit (yes, even if you hand over your firearms to an agent of a travel related service such as an airline/bus/train employee). So all of my shooters and myself are insured with this company. I have had to personally put this to the test. One of my clients was shipping my SV pistol back to the factory for me for some routine upkeep. He sent it via the US Postal Service (yes, he was paid for UPS/FED EX but that is another story). So new delivery person down in Grand Prairie Texas gets to the factory and realizes what is in the box. He doesn't deliver it-he takes it. So, I file the claim. I have a check for $4,000 (the agreed upon price of the pistol) on my desk 2 days later after filing a police report in the jurisdiction of my client, with the FBI and Postal Service for the theft and I am done. Long story short, we do actually get the gun back as it is "found" in an open box in another depot missplaced. The check was returned to the insurnace company and everyone was happy. Point is, there was no issues, no deductible since it is a scheduled agreed upon valued item and treated just like your wife's diamond ring if she were to lose that. I have had clients lose $50K Rolex watch's and $100K+ wedding rings and this was treated no differently. Just like certain airlines have different internal rules for firearms/ammo, insurance company's have different ones.

When my local crew travels to a match, there is normally four of us. With two SV pistols apiece in each range bag, that is a huge amount of $$ if someone were to steal my truck while we were eating lunch or dinner for example. Get this type of insurance and talk to an independant agent about it. Make sure it is in writing, clearly understand your responsibilities to the company in the contract and pay the premium. Then you can relax a bit when you travel like I do, but don't forget to check and see if your company only covers your scheduled items in the continental US. Many companies will only cover the States and you have to let them know if you are taking scheduled items overseas such as to European Championships or Wold Shoots. Even Canada if you travel there like I do frequently.

If you have further questions, let me know or talk to your local Independant Insurance Agent about this.

Best Regards,

Roy