Top Shot 2 - ep.1

Corey

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just the one episode is too early to read all the personalities. However, "the greatest shooter in the world" and "destroy the competition" didn't make them look good.

USPSA shooters performance wasn't stellar in this episode but I know they'll come back. Someone at some point of the season will regret not having picked Athena. I hope she kicks some serious butt!

For Chris, I hope that one of the lessons learned was that on TV the delivery of the message is way too important. He came through as bored, not interested and even maybe "this is too beneath me". I hope production don't choose to depict him as a prima donna.

I have RO'ed John Guida several years in a row at South Carolina and I hope they show his big personality. The guy is cool!

EDIT: Very fitting to start it off with 1911's; I hope we see more of them, as well as shotguns. Some of the competitors were lucky Top Shot is not run under USPSA rules; safety violations would've made their season a very short one.

Finally, I hope that the winner this year is one of the mainstream USPSA folks. So, to Athena, Maggie, John and Chris

REPRESENT!

:cheers:

Edited by Nemo

I think they all need more dry fire practice :roflol:

I was surprised Chris T said he didn't take the team challenge serious enough... wow.

What else should he say? We don't have a clue how the guns are sighted in and nobody wants to shoot a nubby-sighted singlestack with a (potentially) gritty 7-lbs trigger but the last thing you can do on air is blame the gun. That'd be a faux pas, no?

Firing one shot from a rifle without any idea of where the sights are set and how it shoots is absurd. And certainly the first couple people to shoot were at an extreme disadvantage because they didn't even have a chance to learn from prior shooters. This was not a fair challenge.

Either few of the shooters were paying attention to where others were hitting or they were not trying to adjust their POA because people kept hitting low. That does not bode well.

In the team challenge it was clear that the rain and fog were getting worse and worse. That would seem to have put the second team at a disadvantage.

To have two top pistol shots do that poorly in a pistol competition makes me wonder. Granted, a 1911 may not be their preferred gun but that's no excuse. At least when it came time for the shoot-off, Chris T redeemed himself but the fact is, that team should have either won or at least made a race of it.

I don't get the idea of giving the winner of the shoot-off a gift card. The fact that they were in the shoot-off says that the team considered them expendable.

While there was very little drama shown, it's clear that several things were done to create drama. Having two people pick teams does not automatically make them the team leader, nor was it ever implied that they should be, but that's what seems to have happened and that's going to create a problem right there.

My Money is on Maggie and I sat there dumbstruck as they picked all the guys first and then 2 of the top female shooters in the world last . Hopefully their ignorance leads to their demise .

I am glad to see them giving the winner of the shoot off a gift card . That kid last year got put into every challenge because people perceived him as weak and easy to take out . It would have been nice to see him go home with an extra 8-10K in gift cards for his troubles .

I wonder if this is a situation where being a "PRO" is not as big of an advantage as it seems. The "PRO" hand-gunners really did not do well shooting the 1911 cold in the "game of pool", but once Chris had a chance to fire a few rounds out of the M29, he shot it well. I wonder if an unfamiliar gun has less impact on the non-handgun shooters since they are not use to running the type of $3000 custom guns Chris, Athena, and Maggie are.

But I think the soft skills that make a PRO successful will pay off - ability under pressure, etc. This is definitely a game that requires the ability to adapt, excel under pressure, and a little bit of luck.

Did anyone notice, but I did not see a single shooter set the Double Sets on that incorrect to the story Sharps?

I thought it was a great episode! they just got right to the shooting. Less drama,except for the first victim, and their is more action! Looking at the previews, looks like its a new and improved "Top Shot". They were able to pick up Bass Pro shop as a sponsor of the show. I like the fact that whoever gets challenged and wins, gets a $2k free gift card, that is very generous of Bass Pro. I noticed the host said "You can't vote for yourself" I guess that is the reason. After thinking about it. I think you should be able to vote for yourself. You would be taking a challenge and a chance of losing the big prize, and possibly eliminating a competiting member. I am also glad that the females didn't get voted off. I think they will prove to outshoot some of the other guys, and it will be inspiring for other women to want to join the shooting sports. All in all this show is great for all the shooting sports out there. And we are fortunate that we had some creative minds to want to invest their money into this show. I think it will be a homerun for them. Also it could open up some other opportunities to get more publicity for our sport, and possibly get more people into our shooting sports. I Think its a win/win situation, and I am very happy for the shooters, especially Athena, who I know and shoot with frequently. No Wonder I haven't seen her at some of the local matches of late. hmmm, makes sense now...

They weren't allowed to vote for themselves last year, either. I figured it was for "drama" purposes. That way you have to be on record as voting for someone else.

It is a crock of sh*t to say it was the handgun for the pro shooters.

How many threads on this forum are about

"it is the indian not the arrow".....

"If they showed up at a match with a hi point they would still kick butt"

Now you are making excuses

Everyone one of us that watched it were sitting there saying the same damn thing, WTF why can't you hit that.....

Simple they choked, and I think Chris said exactly what he meant to, he didn't take it serious as he should and it showed.

I am very glad that he got it back together and won the challenge.

Yes a cold shot with a rifle at 200 yards would be pretty tough, but it didn't seem to bother most of them.

Every other competitor had to use the same 1911, sights and trigger didnn't seem to bother them, but because it is not a tuned $3000 gun it is an unfair advantage to the average joe competitor.........hahahahahahahahhaha, that is just stupid.

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

Couple things off the top of my head:

1. I hate arrogance. Confidence is one thing, blatant arrogance is disrespectful to everyone.

2. Obviously, the guys picking the teams did not give Athena and Maggie the respect they deserve.

3. The point of the show is the same as last season, we give you a weapon, you excel or go home. It's not Top Shot (Custom USPSA Open Gun Edition) Saying that the big names might not have done well because it's a box stock 1911 with no trigger job sounds like a very weak excuse. Jay hit with it and he was shooting Cup and Saucer (as were several other shooters).

4. I'm seriously considering DVR'ing so that not only can I skip the commercials, I can skip all the backstory and drama junk, and just watch the competitions.

5. If Bass Pro is going to sponsor, hopefully they will start stocking some of the gear that we will see this season, which would be great.

Mac

EDIT: Chris was single action shooting during the practice. He was cocking the hammer with his weak-hand thumb, which made it much faster. At least, that's what I saw.

I thought I saw Chris doing both single and double-action shooting. I did see him using his weak hand to cock the hammer, but I also think they showed one or maybe two shots DA. But with the quick cuts and camera angles, I could be wrong.

I think anyone preparing for the show should have trained with a variety of box stock guns. If I were going to be on the show, I would've put out a call to my local shooting friends to loan me all kinds of stuff to practice with. Picking up an unknown gun and doing OK with it is a skill that's rarely or never tested in traditional competition settings.

I really couldnt belive that the Well known's like Maggie, Athena, and Chris Struggled so much with the 1911 challenge. Could a crappy stock trigger really handicap them that much?

I wondered that, too. I'm no pro, but... if I missed one, shame on me. if I missed a second time, you can bet your butt I'd be marking where that round landed, compared to where I "called" it, and working out an adjustment in my head. I cannot imagine missing 7 times without being able to make some sort of adjustment... :unsure:

Either few of the shooters were paying attention to where others were hitting or they were not trying to adjust their POA because people kept hitting low. That does not bode well.

Even if you pay attention to where the others were hitting, you don't know where they were aiming. You could guess that the first person aimed at the center, and if you were second, you could aim high. But if you were third, you wouldn't know how much of an adjustment the second person made, and so on down the line. And since it's a competition, I doubt anybody said, "I held 12 inches high and hit 6 inches low and 8 inches right."

My Money is on Maggie and I sat there dumbstruck as they picked all the guys first and then 2 of the top female shooters in the world last . Hopefully their ignorance leads to their demise .

I agree, thats just nuts !! I would have picked them first, they have proven themselves in competition. Perhaps those that were picking the teams did not get a chance to research the other contestants prior to the show starting.

Did anyone notice, but I did not see a single shooter set the Double Sets on that incorrect to the story Sharps?

I was watching for it, and I didn't see it happen, either. But they kept cutting to the contestants just before they shot, so I don't know if they set the trigger and we just weren't able to see it.

Firing one shot from a rifle without any idea of where the sights are set and how it shoots is absurd. And certainly the first couple people to shoot were at an extreme disadvantage because they didn't even have a chance to learn from prior shooters. This was not a fair challenge.

I wonder how much they're allowed to share "dope"... for example, I wonder if shooter #2 is allowed to ask shooter #1 where he/she was holding when they broke the shot. If a "team" got good at sharing info, that could really be a huge advantage.

First team challenge: 1911 :cheers: cant have a shooting show on the History channel without one B)

I was happy to see the1911, but that was some of the worst grip technique I've ever seen! I was also surprised that both the challenges involved fairly precise shooting, but no one had a chance to learn where the zero was on either gun. Given that most, if not all of those folks are proven shooters, I had to question whether the sights were even attached on the Sharps rife - there was a HUGE range between the high and low shots.

All in all, I liked the show. It looks like they have addressed some of the concerns from last year. They got right to the shooting. They made sure all 16 original contestants pulled the trigger on two firearms. We got to see three iconic guns. And we got to see reactive targets.

I hope that some of the contestants are members here. Last year, it was nice to have posts from contestants on the show (not to take anything away from rokmel) as the show went on. The insights were great.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

I thought it was a good episode. I think Colby is a cool guy and would be fun to hang out with. I like most of the competitors with the exception of a few, but I wish the producers would let the competitors actually shoot, practice with the gun, and gain some proficiency prior to throwing them into a challenge. It's just asinine.

I truly hope this doesn't turn into a loudmouth, jerk-fest, focused on the tough guy who knows how to "shoot anything and destroy the competition" non-sense we heard earlier. If it's about drama and personalities i'll turn it off, if it acutally focuses on camaraderie and clean competition then I'll keep watching it.

BTW they were wrong to leave Athena and Maggie to the end. I have a feeling both of them will show the guys a thing or two in the upcoming episodes. :cheers:

It is a crock of sh*t to say it was the handgun for the pro shooters.

AMEN!!!!

How many threads on this forum are about

"it is the indian not the arrow".....

"If they showed up at a match with a hi point they would still kick butt"

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Now you are making excuses

Absofrigginlutely

Simple they choked, and I think Chris said exactly what he meant to, he didn't take it serious as he should and it showed.

USPSA is such a very small part of the shooting world. It is natural for the even fewer USPSA shooters in the world who hang out here to automatically think one of ours will beat everyone who shows up. It just isn't likely to happen.