Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative to Montana Gold

Paul-the new guy

Anyone have any ideas on some good alternatives to MG? I just ordered a Dillon 650 so I am broke. I need some more components and 180 JHP MG's are $309 for 2500 :surprise: I have been shooting these pretty much exclusively is there anything that is about the same quality wise that is a little more affordable? I am thinking of switching to lead for my XD-40 The laser cast bullets from Oregon Trail look pretty good but also seem a little pricey. Anyone have any sugestions for a broke guy...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any ideas on some good alternatives to MG? I just ordered a Dillon 650 so I am broke. I need some more components and 180 JHP MG's are $309 for 2500 :surprise: I have been shooting these pretty much exclusively is there anything that is about the same quality wise that is a little more affordable? I am thinking of switching to lead for my XD-40 The laser cast bullets from Oregon Trail look pretty good but also seem a little pricey. Anyone have any sugestions for a broke guy...

I used to shoot lead, but the smoke,lead buildup in the barrel, and the sticky chambering in tight barrels made it not worth it.

Precision delta bullets might be a little less expensive than the MG, but they're usually backordered.

Zero bullets from: Powder valley, cz custom, or shooters connection.

Except for the fact that Zero bullets are hardly ever in stock due to Zero's own ammunition making needs :angry2:

I'm in the same boat. Sell your loader and buy loaded ammo from Universal Ammo!

Buy Black Bullet International bullets if your looking for a good compromise. Just don't use hot powders with them like Titegroup. There is no way I would sell my reloader though and buy loaded ammo, you'll be on the short end of that stick quickly.

I just received 5000 180 JHP .40S&W bullets from Zero! Not sure about the non-availibility issue.

Look if the cost is too much, practice with a .22 or .22 conversion.

You can acquire a great number of the skills needed for USPSA via a .22. This is significant cheaper.

There are a bunch of people far wiser than me when it comes to reloading lead, hard cast, etc. Talk to them about crimps, cleaing, and lead pollution. I know of one GM whose Dad reloaded a lot of lead, the young GM had high levels of lead in his blood. It just is not worth it to me. Buy Zero or MG.

Again, take a serious look at using a .22. I do not know if TS makes a conversion unit for the XD yet. But you can pick up a BuckMark or Ruger for $200 bucks and $20 for 550 rounds of .22 is a great way to practice.

In jacketed Montana Gold and Precision Delta are about as good as it is gonna get as far as price, availability, and quality go. Alot of people myself included are happy with Moly coated from Precision, and BBI, I wouldnt have a problem using plain lead for alot of practice but the lead casters havent seem to gotten with the program of bulk shipping and max out the number of bullets in a flat rate box, not to mention I havent seen much price difference in plain hardcast and the much superior bulk ordered Precision Moly bullets.

In jacketed Montana Gold and Precision Delta are about as good as it is gonna get as far as price, availability, and quality go. Alot of people myself included are happy with Moly coated from Precision, and BBI, I wouldnt have a problem using plain lead for alot of practice but the lead casters havent seem to gotten with the program of bulk shipping and max out the number of bullets in a flat rate box, not to mention I havent seen much price difference in plain hardcast and the much superior bulk ordered Precision Moly bullets.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I would be able to shoot moly out of my Glock, right? I know the XD is ok but wondering about the Glock

As stated above there are several alternative to Montana Gold. The biggest reason I buy them is that they have been in stock every time I ordered. Any other bullet vendor will work if you can get them. I have had over a month wait with Precision and Precision Delta depending on what I was ordering.

I just received 5000 180 JHP .40S&W bullets from Zero! Not sure about the non-availibility issue.

Look if the cost is too much, practice with a .22 or .22 conversion.

You can acquire a great number of the skills needed for USPSA via a .22. This is significant cheaper.

There are a bunch of people far wiser than me when it comes to reloading lead, hard cast, etc. Talk to them about crimps, cleaing, and lead pollution. I know of one GM whose Dad reloaded a lot of lead, the young GM had high levels of lead in his blood. It just is not worth it to me. Buy Zero or MG.

Again, take a serious look at using a .22. I do not know if TS makes a conversion unit for the XD yet. But you can pick up a BuckMark or Ruger for $200 bucks and $20 for 550 rounds of .22 is a great way to practice.

Where did you get your Zeros from?

You're buying your Montana Golds through Manny Bragg, Right? If you're ordering them direct from Montana Gold, then you are over paying! Check out Mannys website, and compare his prices to the factory direct prices. I think you'll be very surprised! B)

Link to MANNYUSA.COM

You're buying your Montana Golds through Manny Bragg, Right? If you're ordering them direct from Montana Gold, then you are over paying! Check out Mannys website, and compare his prices to the factory direct prices. I think you'll be very surprised! B)

Link to MANNYUSA.COM

That's the way to go, but only if you have the cash laying around at the time to meet his 6 case minimum order . . .

Good point ..... He does sell 1 or 2 cases separately. You can call and ask, or send him an email as to his prices for one case. But all it takes is a couple of friends who want to order bullets at the same time, (and the beginning of the year is a good time to get an order together) and you can get good pricing.

Except for the fact that Zero bullets are hardly ever in stock due to Zero's own ammunition making needs :angry2:

OK, but I have never run out of 40 cal bullets, I've had to search several places, but always found them.

Good point ..... He does sell 1 or 2 cases separately. You can call and ask, or send him an email as to his prices for one case. But all it takes is a couple of friends who want to order bullets at the same time, (and the beginning of the year is a good time to get an order together) and you can get good pricing.

The 6 case minimum can be hard to meet unless you have friends that need them as well. But as Chris said give him a call; Manny's cool and will work with you to get you a good price regardless of the actual quantity.

What is Univeral Ammo?

I normally buy from Angus but I went to Roze (or their retail outlet). I viewed their price structure then called them. The bullets came about a week later via USPS.

I have had some erratic chrono readings with MG. Probably operator error. But my fomula is for Zero, VV 320 and I always make major without having to push it to 175 PF velocity. I probably have five years worth of chrono match data for Zero and MG. Both are good bullets.

OK, but I have never run out of 40 cal bullets, I've had to search several places, but always found them.

There have been several times when absolutely nobody had Zero .40 bullets...

+1

I buy zero when I can find them (i sometimes hoard a little). When no zeros can be had, i go Montana Gold.

They both chrono +/- the same, and shoot very well in all my guns (glock, sti & svi)

I like lead for practice, but i wont pay 9 cents for 40 cal lead, when JHP are 11 cents. Shooters connection has some at a fair price. Bullet works are ok, and CB work well.

Edited by anilson

Just checking magnus, their prices for hard cast are nearly the same as jacketed, and higher than Precision Moly,, I did just notice Precision has raised prices. looks like I waited to long for my bulk order.

I used to purchase exclusively from M.G. but switched to Zero's which have usually arrived within 10 days of my order. M.G.'s are good bullets, but the insolence of guy that owns M.G. is only exceeded by his arrogance. I learned this when he lost an order I placed with him (3 cases 9 mm) THREE consecutive times. When I called and asked him for the third time about my order and when he was going to ship my bullets, well, his shocking out-of-the-blue response left me with the aforementioned conclusion. Anyway, life goes on and I found that Black Bullets, Precision Delta bullets, and Bear Creek bullets all shot as well or better than any of the jacketed varieties and have suffered no excessive leading when loading to Major power factors. Plus, they are cheaper than jacketed bullets by a significant percentage. For instance, the current price at the 1k level for 125 gr. Zero's is $0.84 ea. Black Bullets International at the 1k level is cheaper by 21% per bullet, and Precision at the 1k level (130gr) is cheaper by 17% per bullet. Shooting is an expensive sport and getting more so. And, I don't know about you, but if I can find a reloading component that yields equal or better results than a more expensive variety plus is cheaper by 17% - 21%, I think I would be foolish not to take advantage of that. Good luck. M.