Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock shoots left

match308

I am new to the Glock 34. I find that I tend to shoot left consistently. I took both the 34 and my 1911 today to compare. The Kimber shoots point of aim and the 34 about 2" left and 2" low. Apart from holding over, what else can I do to coreect? Ant tricks to shooting the Glocks?

Very common report. Adjust your rear sight slightly and you're good to go. wink.gif Another thing to be aware of is the press to break on a Glock is different than the single action press to break. It "dwells" a little. Fairly close to a revo's feel. Meaning you need to "stay on it" a bit longer. "Pushing" can cause this too. Firm up the weak hand some and relax the trigger hand. 60%+ of my grip is weak hand.

Jim

Edited by Jman

I am new to the Glock 34. I find that I tend to shoot left consistently. I took both the 34 and my 1911 today to compare. The Kimber shoots point of aim and the 34 about 2" left and 2" low. Apart from holding over, what else can I do to coreect? Ant tricks to shooting the Glocks?

Please understand that I AM trying to help...

It is most likely your trigger pull. The Glock is prone to point out the flaws in the shooters trigger pull, and it is not uncommon. Try some dryfire routines and see if it helps. I have folks stick a laser bore-sighter in the bore and dry-fire on a paper plate at 10 yards. This will illustrate the problems with the trigger pull. Your 1911 will improve once you master the Glock trigger pull. Get with an accomplished Glock shooter and have them work with you on your pull to save some time and frustration.

Jman's recomendation may help if the sights are actually off, but if it is your trigger pull, then it won't help. You can get good accuracy at one distance and speed, but change that and the POI will drift since the bore and sights are not aligned properly.

Edited by MarkCO

I had this problem to. Half of it was sights, and half was finding that sweet spot on that trigger that gets me a consistent, straight pull through without interrupting the sights. Funny, after hours of dryfire that the thing hits point-of-aim. ;)

i'm in agreement on the trigger pull. providing you're shooting right handed it sounds like a 7'o'clock push. imo the best way to tell on your own is to shoot from a rest. if you're poa and poi are the same on the rest then i'd hold your trigger pull accountable. if not, adjust the sights! good luck and best regards.

I'm a right handed shooter and started with a Beretta and shot low and left. I moved to a "tricked" out XD and shot low and to the left (for a while). I now shoot a Glock 34 and occasionally shoot to the left if I lose focus. Weak hand grip and trigger control was/is my problem. I cured myself with............DRYFIRE. It's common dude. Before you go moving your sights around have someone who is extremely accurate shoot a group with it. Good Luck. B)

What frequently happens with Glock and other DAO type pistols is that the shooter takes up the slack, then stops the trigger press at that point, gets the sights lined up perfectly, then resumes the trigger press. If this isn't done absolutely perfectly, the shot will be low and left (for a righty). The key is to not stop the press when you hit the resistance...just keep pressing. You can slow the press as you hit the resistance, but don't stop...never stop, just keep pressing straight back. R,

It's the same problem for me.

I'll try out not the stop ar the resistance (what i used to do), but it'll be hard. I come from ISSF target shooting and there you stop at the resistance and than slowly press until the shot breaks.

Let's see f it helps, next day on the range is Wendesday.

I have never shot a Glock 9mm that didn't shoot considerably to the left with the rear sight centered on the slide. Richard Heinie has had the same experience, so much so that early versions of Heinie Glock rear sights actually had the notch offset to the right. (!) It's gotten to the point that I can put a set of Glock sights on the gun, offset to the point that experience has taught me will hit spot-on at 50 feet (the maximum distance possible on the indoor range where I do most of my shooting) and have them be perfect for windage when I get there. Of course, I always take my Glock sight pusher just in case.... :)

As to the elevation discrepancy, there are any number of companies out there offering different height front sights to deal with that. Warren occurs to me first, just because I've had such good luck with their sights overall, and with ordering new front sights from them to zero the gun, as well.

Have you benched the gun? If it's still doing it from the bench at distance, and not doing it with other guns, it's probably the sight(s), not you. If the phenomenon goes away from the bench, well, you've got your answer there, too. ;)

I encountered the same problem over the weekend. I've been shooting a 1911 for the past couple of years, and recently decided to go in a different direction and buy a g34 for 3gun and production. I installed a set of Sevigny sights last week, using my calipers to center the rear in the slide. Over the weekend, I took it to the range for some practice to try to familiarize myself with it before my uspsa match this weekend. I set up a target at about 15 yds just to check the sights, and it shot left. I immediately thought the sights were off, but on the next string I really concentrated on my trigger press, and it shot to poa. I'm really excited to start shooting with the Glock, because I think it will make me a better shooter. Hopefully any bad habits I've gotten into with the 1911 will show up with the Glock, and I can remedy them and progress farther as a shooter. Now if I could find someone who needs a good 1911.....

I don't think a properly tuned double action trigger is supposed to "load up" where you can actually feel when it's going to break. At least I've always tried to tune mine to be consistent all the way through. Maybe I screwed up all my DA guns..... :unsure:

I have never shot a Glock 9mm that didn't shoot considerably to the left with the rear sight centered on the slide. Richard Heinie has had the same experience, so much so that early versions of Heinie Glock rear sights actually had the notch offset to the right. (!) It's gotten to the point that I can put a set of Glock sights on the gun, offset to the point that experience has taught me will hit spot-on at 50 feet (the maximum distance possible on the indoor range where I do most of my shooting) and have them be perfect for windage when I get there. Of course, I always take my Glock sight pusher just in case.... :)

+1 all the glocks I have purchased new shoot to the left,just drift the rear sight to the right a little.

What helped me to shoot straight witht the glock is, to put a lot more finger on the trigger.

With a 1911 you'd pull the trigger with the middle of the pad, but you shoot the glock like a DA revolver and press the trigger with the joint.

It also helps to grip the glock really hard.

This is for Glock ONLY! The style for a 1911 is totally different.

• 1 month later...

I had the sane problem with my glock 17 gen4. I had the trigger lightened to 3.25 pounds and worked on just using the tip of my finger pulling straight back until the gun breaks.

try dry firing looking straight down the sights and you'll see the difference just pull straight back nice and easy and the sights shouldn't move do it slowly and you'll be able to feel what is happening. I went from not being able to hit a fall down steel at 25 yards to being able to put four rounds on it before it hit the ground. (ran my time up but everybody laughed.

also check my advice against some of my more learned colleagues because im new to trying to help and may have expressed myself vaguely and I dont want to set a good person down the wrong path.

Happy shooting and may all the bullets hit A's :cheers:

Work on dryfiring and pulling the trigger directly to the rear, center the trigger in your pad, not on the pad crease as this will cause you to push the gun down and leftward. Also, if it's happening with follow-up shots, work on glock trigger-reset. Look this up on youtube for a demonstration. Good luck.

I have wounded a couple no shoots and what not with this problem. It is a mix of trigger control and a need to adjust the sight to the right a little. My stock rear on my 19 is drifted slightly right and I'm trying DP perfect impacts on my 34 right now. I'm shooting much better around 25 yds where I've been the weakest in my short shooting career.

• 2 weeks later...

My Glock 35 did the same thing out of the box. I had others shoot it and we all got the same exact hits, within 1/4" of each other. It would shoot 2" left all the time. I am going to adjust my rear sight today and see how it goes. Getting used to the trigger pull if coming from a 1911, will take practice. But, my 2" left is so consistent, I think it is the read right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up my third Glock(34) this weekend. My other two(19, 26) both have the sight drifted a touch right and hit well for me. The 34 came out of the box with the sight drifted left and I thought "Wow, Ill never hit anything like this", but it hits fine. Now I worried I may have got a bad Glock because the sight is drifted wrong ;)