Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand shotty reloads

Kyle O

To everybody who has taken the time to put up video on here...

Thanks!

I am just starting to practice and this thread has been a HUGE help. Saved a ton of time that I would of spent doing this wrong and burning in bad technique. Still not getting my weak hand quite right, but at least I know that and have things to fix.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's funny how I started out doing it as a side swiper. I would hold my hand flat open, perpendicular to the action and move my hand left to right, sort like being belt fed. :D I'd work my thumb like a windshield wiper, back and forth push them in with the side of my thumb. It actually worked fairly well with the huge port on the Super Nova. The only problem was occasionally I'd be smooshing #3 or #4 up in with the palm of my hand, there wasn't a lot of control.

Over time my technique has become more 'conventional". I still don't make the shells seem to squirt out of my fist like some folks do, And I still use the side of my thumb somewhat, but it's coming along nicely. Somewhere along the line I've started doing what I call the "along the side" because the end of the next shell in my hand sort of runs back and forth along the left side of the receiver. :mellow:

Edited by cas

• 1 month later...

I have a different way of weakhand reloading. Tell me what ya'll think I can relaod 4 using the same method but I have always preferred 3 and it never makes a difference in the stage breakdowns.

Edited by ap3

Looks pretty fast, but I'd go ahead and learn with 4 at a time. It looks similar to another technique where you grab 2 shells end to end, and stick'em in in a similar fashion.

Oh oh.. I made the list of fast shotgun loaders!

Kelly Neil Does about half the time.

Rob Romero...AKA Bass Ass Noveske shooter Does...now.

Horner and Piatt strong hand load 4 at a time..not the same way.

Mr. Modest turns and burns

Pat Kelley Does at times...(Heavy Metal Dam Shooter)

I have seen Keith do it at times.

Trapr Swonson Does all the time.

Jeremy Parker does half the time.

I have seen Chris do it also.

I squad with these guys all the time, and I don't recall seeing you there, so outside of what you have seen on a video clip or two what is the data base you draw from?

• 3 weeks later...

Recommend if you can, keep the gun up high against the body and tilt it slightly to see the where to guide the shells. If this isn't natural, start being it up to a shooting position prior to your last load, note when you loading the last shell lower, it takes X time to bring it back up to firing position and then get a sight picture. The other reason to keep it high, you might be able to pick off something that you missed from teh last string or engage a new target on the move while reloading.

Recommend if you can, keep the gun up high against the body and tilt it slightly to see the where to guide the shells. If this isn't natural, start being it up to a shooting position prior to your last load, note when you loading the last shell lower, it takes X time to bring it back up to firing position and then get a sight picture. The other reason to keep it high, you might be able to pick off something that you missed from teh last string or engage a new target on the move while reloading.

I tried the "bring up while loading the last one" move, and it didn't work out real well for me especially while moving.

Then again, I might have been doing it wrong... :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a different way of weakhand reloading. Tell me what ya'll think I can relaod 4 using the same method but I have always preferred 3 and it never makes a difference in the stage breakdowns.

First time I saw this, pretty neat.

thumb tape....only those who have "really" practiced know.... :roflol:

Yup - my teammate Ben Powell loaded without consent ( :P ) and got bit by his Benelli at Blue Ridge.

I find that pre-emptive taping does wonders and if I'm ever loading more than four rounds in a stage, I find that I can load more aggressively and confidently if I'm not thinking about drawing blood.

• 2 weeks later...

My issue seems to be that the shells waiting to be shoved in move too far forward in my hand and end up going a little past the load area, so I have to scoot them back to load them.

Any suggestions? I should put up a vid I guess.

My issue seems to be that the shells waiting to be shoved in move too far forward in my hand and end up going a little past the load area, so I have to scoot them back to load them.

Yup and do it really slowly from different angles so we could see what is happening. (I think you might see before us during the filming)

Yup and do it really slowly from different angles so we could see what is happening. (I think you might see before us during the filming)

Sounds like you may be holding them too flat, try pointing the shells toward the ceiling, and let gravity keep them back in your hand.