Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger group for STI

mwx40x40

I'm building a STI 1911 and I'm using an EGW sear and disconnector with a EB hardcore sear spring and a Koeing hammer. I'm also using the SVI trigger and I have EB wide ambi's on my 40 and 9 and the same is going on my new build.

If you were starting from scratch with an STI. What trigger group would you run? Since we are on the lower, what safeties would you run also?

I've had a couple built this way: EGW hard sear, Koenig hammer, most any good disconnector (EGW, C&S, etc), EGW sear spring, SV trigger with inserts, ISMI 19lb mainspring, EGW Ti mainspring cap and hammer strut. I really liked SV ambi safeties, but after having two from the same batch crack in the same spot, with what appeared to be a flaw in the metal (yes, they were fit properly to bottom out on the frame), I went back to Ed Brown even though they take a lot more time to fit. R,

Hello: EGW sear,EGW ejector, Extreme disconnector, STI titanium hammer strut, 17 lb ISMI mainspring, EGW titanium mainspring cap, EGW pin set, Ed Brown wide ambi, Ed Brown grip or STI, STI short curved trigger, and either a Koenig hammer or STI hammer. The sear spring is up to you on what you like to use. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I like the Brazos kit alot. I have installed 5 of them and am able to get a reliable two pound trigger that is real crisp. I have fired over 30,000 rounds through the first kit and its still going strong with no problems. I agree on the Brown safety.

Hello: EGW sear,EGW ejector, Extreme disconnector, STI titanium hammer strut, 17 lb ISMI mainspring, EGW titanium mainspring cap, EGW pin set, Ed Brown wide ambi, Ed Brown grip or STI, STI short curved trigger, and either a Koenig hammer or STI hammer. The sear spring is up to you on what you like to use. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

That's an exact description of both of my 2011s. with the exception of a 19# mainspring.

I have not used it yet, but the EGW disconnect with the ball looks well made and might help with smaller movement in the hole.

It definitely can help with that. I've seen it used in a couple of guns, and seems to work nicely. R,

I'm a little bummed the EGW ultimate trigger kIt is gone. It's so much easier to order it all together.i also wish I could order my SV trigger parts from chuck too, so now I just don't use the SV trigger system, and go with gunsmith blank STI trigger, bow and the EB steel strut.& sear spring in the stainless completion kit, with the steel MS Cap and mainspring too. I'm not much for polishing ti trigger bows & bending Ti struts. EGW xball disco and hard sear is sweet perfection. I too like the C&S & brazos kits. Bobs is virtually drop in and 2 lb crisp w factory STI strut and bow.

I'm a little bummed the EGW ultimate trigger kIt is gone. It's so much easier to order it all together.i also wish I could order my SV trigger parts from chuck too, so now I just don't use the SV trigger system, and go with gunsmith blank STI trigger, bow and the EB steel strut.& sear spring in the stainless completion kit, with the steel MS Cap and mainspring too. I'm not much for polishing ti trigger bows & bending Ti struts. EGW xball disco and hard sear is sweet perfection. I too like the C&S & brazos kits. Bobs is virtually drop in and 2 lb crisp w factory STI strut and bow.

Before too long there should be an alternative to the SV system...not inserts, but multiple lengths and shapes etc :)

Well none of my STI's have factory trigger components.

I use SVI components ( their complete Tri Glide package is amazing!!)simply because they have a great variety of goodies to choose from.

Have fun with your gun!

Ciao. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I like the EGW hard sear, disconnector, Koenig hammer (made by EGW), and SV barstock ambi safeties. The ambis required only a few strokes with a file to function properly with the EGW parts and no other fitting. If I had to do it again I would probably try the pre-fit Brazos kit as he just did an outstanding trigger job on the new Limited gun I just got from him.

• 5 months later...

I can see many people recommend the Ed Brown Wide Ambi safety, do this fit on the STI 2011?

I could see on Ed Browns web page it stand designed for 1911 frames, will it then fit on the 2011 frames?

Im not sure if it's any difference when it comes to safety’s on 1911 and 2011 models?

How wide is Ed Browns Wide Ambi safety, is it IPSC box legal? The max height in the box is 45mm.

I can see many people recommend the Ed Brown Wide Ambi safety, do this fit on the STI 2011?

I could see on Ed Browns web page it stand designed for 1911 frames, will it then fit on the 2011 frames?

Im not sure if it's any difference when it comes to safety’s on 1911 and 2011 models?

How wide is Ed Browns Wide Ambi safety, is it IPSC box legal? The max height in the box is 45mm.

The EB unit will fit both 1911 and 2011 frames. Couldn't tell you about box legal, but 45mm seems like it should accomodate the safety.

I loved ed brown thumb and beavertail, but I think I like the Wilson combat high wide ambi more. it too only requires a few strokes of a file, and feels great in my hand. Very well made.

JL