Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com/ Rockcastle ProAm 3 Gun Championship

I know we can get the top folks to share their info, no problem but I think there is much value in seeing what everyone is using, we will continue to try to arrive at a executable plan for doing this, I have a couple ideas that may work now that we have all the entrants email addresses it won't have to be a global thang. Its not so much a matter of getting forms filled out its populating a datbase to allow sorting and data mining

thanks for resurfacing this, I will move it up my ladder right behind, sponsors now that registration is winding down

Jeff

:sight: quick list I came up with 51 fields I would like to collect for the survey :cheers:

How about an online form. Use your registration number or something else to enter the information. Automatically populates into the database. You can have a list of people who have filled out the online form at registration. If they haven't, they get to do the paper version. Should greatly cut down on the amount of data entry.

That's what the plan would be but its about building it all up btween everything else, cause if you do the math on 50+ datafields and 500+ shooters that is too much to fat finger in, has to be able auto populate

Great minds think alike

jc

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be in this group, but would the "top shooters" be willing to list all their gear? (Secret set ups)

And, if they were, is it fair to make them list what has taken them years to figure out?

Who has secret stuff?

I would not be in this group, but would the "top shooters" be willing to list all their gear? (Secret set ups)

And, if they were, is it fair to make them list what has taken them years to figure out?

Who has secret stuff?

:ph34r:

Ok- not secret, but things that took a great deal of time, effort, and expense to narrow down what works best.

Just a different perspective, why would people want to know what EVERYBODY is shooting? I think we will end up seeing a list with 350 Eotechs and Aimpoints, M4 stocks and handguards w/vertical foregrips, and single point slings. While all good combat gear, not really cutting edge 3gun gear. To bring the newbies up to 3gun speed, they probably need to know what the game gear is, not the other way around. I think it would be more informative to poll the Pro side.

Just a different perspective, why would people want to know what EVERYBODY is shooting? I think we will end up seeing a list with 350 Eotechs and Aimpoints, M4 stocks and handguards w/vertical foregrips, and single point slings. While all good combat gear, not really cutting edge 3gun gear. To bring the newbies up to 3gun speed, they probably need to know what the game gear is, not the other way around. I think it would be more informative to poll the Pro side.

If I was shooting AM I would want to know what the AM winners are using compared to myself and to the PROs.

If I was shooting AM I would want to know what the AM winners are using compared to myself and to the PROs.

Why? If I was starting out shooting a revolver in USPSA, I would want to know what Jerry Miculek was using, not what the D class winner had.

Why? If I was starting out shooting a revolver in USPSA, I would want to know what Jerry Miculek was using, not what the D class winner had.

But...but...that is the same gun lol.

That's EXACTLY what I would be looking to compare. If the division winners all run the same style gear no matter what division they are in I may want to change.

Just by copying Jerry M's revolver doesn't mean your gonna shoot like him, ever. Maybe I can't afford a Jerry gun but I can afford a D class winners gun.

Might be useful the second year as information to include in a sponsorship request packet to go out to potential sponsors? Also to let them know that they are spending their sponsorship dollars at an event attended by their target market?

Edited by caspian guy

I know we can get the top folks to share their info, no problem but I think there is much value in seeing what everyone is using, we will continue to try to arrive at a executable plan for doing this, I have a couple ideas that may work now that we have all the entrants email addresses it won't have to be a global thang. Its not so much a matter of getting forms filled out its populating a datbase to allow sorting and data mining

thanks for resurfacing this, I will move it up my ladder right behind, sponsors now that registration is winding down

Jeff

:sight: quick list I came up with 51 fields I would like to collect for the survey :cheers:

How about an online form. Use your registration number or something else to enter the information. Automatically populates into the database. You can have a list of people who have filled out the online form at registration. If they haven't, they get to do the paper version. Should greatly cut down on the amount of data entry.

That's what the plan would be but its about building it all up btween everything else, cause if you do the math on 50+ datafields and 500+ shooters that is too much to fat finger in, has to be able auto populate

Great minds think alike

jc

Jeff - not so hard. Prepare an online form (most likely XTML with fields that fill in an Access Database). You need the Access-XTML rather than PHP-MySQL because it is easier to create fields that allow you to select from a list as well as select "other" and type in your information. This is needed because just blanks would allow people to misspell Benelli or Leupold, and make the data compilation & analysis tedious.

Form should be available online about one month before the match. (Has the added advantage that June & July are very slow months for me & I would have time to set it up). Most shooters will have settled on the gear at that point. Email each shooter - remind them of their Registration Code & explain that the form is mandatory & they have 4 weeks to complete it. The only identifier on the form can be that unique Registration Code.

At the actual registration on the range, anyone who was unable or forgot to complete the form would be flagged on my registration list. Before they can complete registration, I would move them over to one of 2 or 3 laptops set up with the form.

We could use my usual "correction sheets" for those who made last minute changes & want to correct info provided on the online form.

Not my first rodeo . . . ;)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2011 AR15.com/Rockcastle 3 Gun Statistician

So how many Pro shooters and how many Amatuers will there be at the match?

Distribution for the match is some 60+ RO's shooting on Thursday plus 255 shooting Pro and 200 shooting AM shooting in the main match. I am still holding a handful of those slots back for some sponsors that are still finalizing and have not yet identified their shooters. As Linda said we have quite a number of the normal Pro type guys helping to RO and run the match so it left a few more unexpected slots available in Pro, but I think they will certainly fill. I think we've easily reached our goal and will have over 500 shooters :cheers:.

Bless our dinner sponsors as that sponsorship really got big with this number of shooters, be sure and thank all of the sponsors as you see them, they are really stepping up to support your guys adventures!

Bushmaster, JP Rifles, Black Hills Ammunition and Cheaper than Dirt all finalized their participation yesterday, Happy Presidents Day :cheers:

Jeff

Answered in post # 521

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Who has secret stuff?

Ok- not secret, but things that took a great deal of time, effort, and expense to narrow down what works best.

You mean practice?

So how many Pro shooters and how many Amatuers will there be at the match?

Distribution for the match is some 60+ RO's shooting on Thursday plus 255 shooting Pro and 200 shooting AM shooting in the main match. I am still holding a handful of those slots back for some sponsors that are still finalizing and have not yet identified their shooters. As Linda said we have quite a number of the normal Pro type guys helping to RO and run the match so it left a few more unexpected slots available in Pro, but I think they will certainly fill. I think we've easily reached our goal and will have over 500 shooters :cheers:.

Bless our dinner sponsors as that sponsorship really got big with this number of shooters, be sure and thank all of the sponsors as you see them, they are really stepping up to support your guys adventures!

Bushmaster, JP Rifles, Black Hills Ammunition and Cheaper than Dirt all finalized their participation yesterday, Happy Presidents Day :cheers:

Jeff

Answered in post # 521

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Thanks. Sorry

]

Answered in post # 521

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Which is part of the problem with using this forum as a communication method. No one wants to spend the time to read 521 posts. There end up being that many or more posts on popular matches becasue shooters post all kinds of things about these matches that while may be great fun, are not essential match information. In that regard, I am as guilty as the next shooter.

We need a way to get basic information to shooters aside from reading this forum. On the other hand it is really unfair to think that match administrators should have to anticipate the questions of every shooter about the match and send them an email to cover it. I also doubt that those who are hosting the match desire to have basic questions repeatedly emailed to them.

A possible solution is more comprehensive web sites. But on the other hand if you have to review 521 posts to locate a web site link, and I have little doubt there will be at least a thousand posts here before the first shot is fired at the match, that solution is no better. So the question remains, how should the more popular matches deliver information to the shooters both before and after entries are received?

]

Answered in post # 521

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Which is part of the problem with using this forum as a communication method. No one wants to spend the time to read 521 posts. There end up being that many or more posts on popular matches becasue shooters post all kinds of things about these matches that while may be great fun, are not essential match information. In that regard, I am as guilty as the next shooter.

We need a way to get basic information to shooters aside from reading this forum. On the other hand it is really unfair to think that match administrators should have to anticipate the questions of every shooter about the match and send them an email to cover it. I also doubt that those who are hosting the match desire to have basic questions repeatedly emailed to them.

A possible solution is more comprehensive web sites. But on the other hand if you have to review 521 posts to locate a web site link, and I have little doubt there will be at least a thousand posts here before the first shot is fired at the match, that solution is no better. So the question remains, how should the more popular matches deliver information to the shooters both before and after entries are received?

I think the only answer is what you said...have a match website that someone maintains and updates with Q&A from shooters. Put all info on that web site and tell everyone to check it periodically for updates. Then when you get ready for "gun info" web page...post the page and let them have at it.

Bigjimmy got his question answered about THIS match in the thread concerning THIS match.

A search for formats to address questions about matches in general might be worthy of its own thread/poll.

Maybe Trapper will start one.

Who has secret stuff?

You mean practice?

I wondered if someone would say this before I got to the end of the string. I am an AM shooter and understand I can buy all the fancy schmancy stuff I want but until I invest time and practice, I'm just spinning my wheels. That said however, I think it would be nice for the sponsors if two or three per PRO were identified; that's how it's often done in auto racing and should be easy enough to manage.

Maybe if we had a 3 gun organization we could hire someone to maintain a website for all of us. We all know that half of us can barely log into Enos much less update our own match websites. USPSA has a pretty good thing going but could use a little more interactive section.

Maybe, but that smells of rules. :surprise: Too, questions and answers vary match to match so an updated FAQ on their respective websites would likely be easier to navigate.

Just my .02 worth.

Sherry

When IMGA was alive and well, there were rules - approximately 4 pages - and it stayed that way for years. You need some rules, otherwise it degenerates into a brawl. It could be done, but you'd need a very dedicated individual who is computer savvy and will devote the time to keep everything up to date. It's not a full time job, but neither is it something a person could do in their spare time.

How much information do we need other than match location, dates/times, locations/time for registration, scoring method, match hotel info, directions to range/hotel,stage descriptions and round counts?? All can be sent out with match confirmation e-mail....of course their might be one or two that does not have e-mail, I met someone like that once...Well maybe the location of the nearest watering hole....

Edited by DrawandDuck

That's EXACTLY what I would be looking to compare. If the division winners all run the same style gear no matter what division they are in I may want to change.

Just by copying Jerry M's revolver doesn't mean your gonna shoot like him, ever. Maybe I can't afford a Jerry gun but I can afford a D class winners gun.

You mean I just can't buy the guns, before hand, that will win the match? Better yet, I have already bought the wrong ones? Oh...man....

No one will need to shoot the match, everyone can just drop the SN# of their guns into a hat and have a random drawing for finish! Just think of all the ammo you could save! More time to drink :cheers: