Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com/ Rockcastle ProAm 3 Gun Championship

I would like to see an equipment survey at this match. 0ver 250 Pro shooters have a lot of good ideas as to what works and doesn't work and the survey might give a newer shooter some ideas for future purchases.

Might be a good time to put in a plug for sponsors as well, letting shooters know where some of this equipment can be purchased. Just a thought.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see an equipment survey at this match. 0ver 250 Pro shooters have a lot of good ideas as to what works and doesn't work and the survey might give a newer shooter some ideas for future purchases.

Might be a good time to put in a plug for sponsors as well, letting shooters know where some of this equipment can be purchased. Just a thought.

This is not just a good idea for this match, it is a great idea for all matches and I believe that sponsors will respond to this. My suggestion would be to have shooters list equipment down to scope rings and type of handguards which would educcate sponsors as to the marketing potential of our sport.

As long as it is not done at registration. I think it's great idea as well.

Give them the form at registration and they can turn it in before the prize table goes out. For those who turn in a complete survey, their get a chance at some prize. Even if it just a $20 gas card, it will work.

This is not just a good idea for this match, it is a great idea for all matches and I believe that sponsors will respond to this. My suggestion would be to have shooters list equipment down to scope rings and type of handguards which would educcate sponsors as to the marketing potential of our sport.

Give them the form at registration and they can turn it in before the prize table goes out. For those who turn in a complete survey, their get a chance at some prize. Even if it just a $20 gas card, it will work.

Great ideas!!!

Its funny, I kinda laughed about a $20 gas card till I thought about it. Thats no joke! Thats like 1/2 tank in my mini-van!!!! Its funny how little things like a tank of fuel can be a huge deal lol

Funny you guys should mention the survey idea, we had already been discussing that. Fillling them out is the easy part, populating a database with probably 25 fields of sloppily written jargin for 500+ shooters is the problem, one possible way this can really work is to have it populated in electrons by the shooters, which could be done while at the match. We will continue to work this as we want to see the data as well.

jc

The more complicated you make the survey, the less likely they will fill it out.

If you're going to do it, give them the form at registration and ask that they fill it out while at the match because "we are trying to build a database for the amateurs to help get them started properly."

If you give it to them later or ask them to do it on line, you'll get 20% - or less - response.

The more complicated you make the survey, the less likely they will fill it out.

If you're going to do it, give them the form at registration and ask that they fill it out while at the match because "we are trying to build a database for the amateurs to help get them started properly."

If you give it to them later or ask them to do it on line, you'll get 20% - or less - response.

I've never been to a 3 gun match registration so I don't know how chaotic it is. I do know that at SS nationals they handed us the sheet, we filled it out, and when we turned it back in we got our bag and was registered. Everybody filled it out. They have several clip boards so you weren't waiting on the boards . Just an idea if you want to do something like that. They just had make, caliber, gunsmith and a few other things.

One gun Corey. One rig. Pretty simple.

Here we're talking about handgun, shotgun, rifle, a re-configurable rig, three kinds of ammunition and assorted other gear.

Add to that the fact that some on here have suggested detailing weapons down to the preferred handguard etc. Then add glass, rings, mount etc., etc. You also need to accept the fact that a number of the top shooters are sponsored and shoot what they are given.

Having them fill it out at registration would create chaos. Giving them a good reason to fill it out and turn it in before the match was over would meet with more success.

I would not be in this group, but would the "top shooters" be willing to list all their gear? (Secret set ups)

And, if they were, is it fair to make them list what has taken them years to figure out?

their setups cant be that secret. 10 people in their squad get to see their guns. their personal pet loads or tweaking of trigger jobs is a bit different, but everyone knows what a JP rifle and Swaro scope looks like. (as a random example)

I would think any shooter with a sponsor that is supporting them would feel obligated to go online and fill out their shooter info. 3 Gun Nation is implementing something similar on their site right now. Heck most shooters are so happy to talk about their gear at a match I'm sure they would love a place to brag it up.

I agree with Jeff's point about hand written info being difficult and lengthy to enter. I can barely get 40 shooters to write their name legibly on a score sheet at a local match.

Edited by jtischauser

I would not be in this group, but would the "top shooters" be willing to list all their gear? (Secret set ups)

And, if they were, is it fair to make them list what has taken them years to figure out?

their setups cant be that secret. 10 people in their squad get to see their guns. their personal pet loads or tweaking of trigger jobs is a bit different, but everyone knows what a JP rifle and Swaro scope looks like. (as a random example)

True, but that's ten shooters compared to 450 shooters, and anyone else that looks it up online.

I've never seen a top shooter, and I've shot with most of them, unwilling to help out with every detail of what they are shooting. And most will let you fondle, or even shoot it, if there is an opportunity. There really are no secerts when it comes to guns. There is no secret electronic trigger in Dave Sevigny's Glock. There is no laser guidance system in Daniel Horner's rifle that was classified by the AMU. Although there is a tiny motor in Jerry's revolver that drives the cylinder like a mini-gun (shhh don't tell!)

As far as the form goes, it really is too much info to collect at registration. If you send it out too early, stuff changes and you won't get a truly accurate picture. Best bet is to send the form out to everyone and ask them to bring it to registration with them. No form, no entry and go to the knucklehead table to fill it out. Just ask people to fill it out as close to match time as possible. Sure some are going to fill it in the day they get it, some won't at all till the match. It's not perfect but it should work okay.

I know we can get the top folks to share their info, no problem but I think there is much value in seeing what everyone is using, we will continue to try to arrive at a executable plan for doing this, I have a couple ideas that may work now that we have all the entrants email addresses it won't have to be a global thang. Its not so much a matter of getting forms filled out its populating a datbase to allow sorting and data mining

thanks for resurfacing this, I will move it up my ladder right behind, sponsors now that registration is winding down

Jeff

:sight: quick list I came up with 51 fields I would like to collect for the survey :cheers:

Edited by benelli2

I know we can get the top folks to share their info, no problem but I think there is much value in seeing what everyone is using, we will continue to try to arrive at a executable plan for doing this, I have a couple ideas that may work now that we have all the entrants email addresses it won't have to be a global thang. Its not so much a matter of getting forms filled out its populating a datbase to allow sorting and data mining

thanks for resurfacing this, I will move it up my ladder right behind, sponsors now that registration is winding down

Jeff

:sight: quick list I came up with 51 fields I would like to collect for the survey :cheers:

How about an online form. Use your registration number or something else to enter the information. Automatically populates into the database. You can have a list of people who have filled out the online form at registration. If they haven't, they get to do the paper version. Should greatly cut down on the amount of data entry.

If this would all work out, it would be very cool for shooters like myself.

I'm not saying I could afford what the pro's are shooting, but it would be fun non the less.

(Just don't make it part of online registration-that's stressful enough! :roflol: )

One gun Corey. One rig. Pretty simple.

Here we're talking about handgun, shotgun, rifle, a re-configurable rig, three kinds of ammunition and assorted other gear.

Add to that the fact that some on here have suggested detailing weapons down to the preferred handguard etc. Then add glass, rings, mount etc., etc. You also need to accept the fact that a number of the top shooters are sponsored and shoot what they are given.

Having them fill it out at registration would create chaos. Giving them a good reason to fill it out and turn it in before the match was over would meet with more success.

One of these days I'll realize that 3 gun means 3GUNS! Sorry, I'll go back to just reading now biggrin.gif