Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloaded ammo

Grumpy's Toy

By using commercial ammunition, you are taking a lot of the guess work out of ballistics, function, effectiveness, etc. Manufacturers make it a point to test their products in many different conditions, environments, firearms, and such. Why go through all that hassle when they have done the homework for you...it's like re-inventing the wheel.

Of course, the biggest issue is lawsuits and trial courts. You don't want to be on the defensive side when a crafty lawyer blasts you for the "maniacal, deadly, nuclear-tipped projectiles, inhumanly destroyed" a life. When I was in law enforcement, I've seen it and you don't want to deal with that headache.

I have been reloading for 19 years and feel pretty confident with my loads but I would never use my loads for self-defense means (unless I couldn't avoid it).

+1 to what gng4life said.

The manufacturers have tested penetration, expansion, etc. for that particular bullet.

I have not fired one single round for self defense, just the rounds I used for function testing, so I am not saving money by reloading my protection ammo. I can't see where anyone would want to even put themselves into that situation.

Trey

That's pretty much exclusively a self-defense topic, which isn't allowed here. If you want, send me a PM and I'll give you some of the reasons why it's absolutely a terrible idea....and the most important reason isn't the one folks normally mention (lawsuits etc). R,

Edited by G-ManBart

If you are involved in a SD shooting your gun and ammo is likely to ... probably will be... be confiscated as "evidence". If a question arises as to shooting distances... powder residue tests, etc...definitive physical evidence... your reloads are locked as "evidence" and cannot be used for those tests. Any other reloads you have may be disallowed as evidence because they cannot be confirmed as being the "same load" you used in the SD shooting... which are locked as evodence and cannot be tested. With factory ammo, they do keep exemplar loads from each lot they produce. Those are available for testing in the key areas described above, and will be accepted by the court as definitive RE: the ammo you used, powder residue, shooting distance, etc. That doesn't even get into the question of "killer homemade bullets"... because it is factory stuff and you didn't whip it up in your "lab". Just a thought.... but if you want to 'court proof' your SD ammo... find out what load any respected LE agency in your general area, state, uses... and if your gun likes it, use it. If an ambitious agenda driven DA wants to hammer you on ammo selection... you have only to say "It is what XXX LE agency uses, and I thought they would know best". That is an arguement that even a slimiest adgenda-driven DA (Mike Nifong who I think is now in jail for his shannaignas, and definitely was disbarred) could not rebut.Cover yourself... both before and after the shooting. Quality factory ammo is your best bet.

GOF

I read a long time ago, probably Massad Ayoob, the best defense load is to use whatever your local law enforcement uses, then there is NO argument about the cartridge itself in court.

Unless you figure the lawyer will make you out to be a wannabe cop using the same round at your local cops.