Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B brass

900_DRIVER

Bob, you can have first dibbs. I've said it before, but Murphy follows me around like he's my shadow. I've realized recently that I'm a brass hoarder :cheers: and won't make it throuhg a quarter of the stuff I have accumulated, so I might as well spread the wealth.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I load using a 1050, and I've never had a problem with S&B.

I am also using S&B primers which run through my Dillon primer tube feeded as good as Federal.

Since I don't hear much about S&B primers out of the States, I'm assuming they are not available?

I haven't had any trouble with s&b brass in 9mm or 40, and I've loaded a few 100 of each. no issues with the primer pockets or anything. Maybe there are different sorts of s&b brass. I bought the bullets on sale at cabelas (9 and 40 both) within the last year or so, and saved the brass. It actually is one of the easier ones i've worked with.

I come across S&B 9mm brass (not plated steel) from time to time. My personal experience:

With lead/moly bullets, they will not work reliably in an aftermarket Glock bbl., and were iffy in a OEM bbl.

With MG CMJ's, they work fine in OEM barrels (I gave up on the aftermkt bbl when I found the stock bbl to be just as accurate with the bullets I use).

I come across S&B 9mm brass (not plated steel) from time to time. My personal experience:

With lead/moly bullets, they will not work reliably in an aftermarket Glock bbl., and were iffy in a OEM bbl.

With MG CMJ's, they work fine in OEM barrels (I gave up on the aftermkt bbl when I found the stock bbl to be just as accurate with the bullets I use).

Addendum:

What I really have problems with, and had forgotten, is CBC 9mm brass. Nasty mid case bulge with jacketed 147's at 1.130 - all no goes on the gauge.

Either I've been lucky, or I don't shoot as much as some do. I've had zero problems with S & B brass, in fact I like finding it on the range. I use a 550B and an RCBS with no problems.

I'll take all I can find.

AMERC is total garbage, though. Right to the scrap bin if I come across any.

• 3 weeks later...

S&B 9mm brass makes about 60% of my range pickup. I never had a problem reloading these multiple times on my LnL, with no manipulation done to primer pockets.

Proud primers was an issue for me with various brass/primer combinations. I called Hornady, and they shipped me a new primer seating stem, which is a few thou longer than the original. I can now prime even the NT brass - which was impossible before the stem change-over.

I only throw out occasional ICW and other 'no-name' brass.

+1 on the magnet thingy, those Wolf steel cases are a PITA.

i used to see brass around by winchester that some forum members called "Double Dot" because it had a dot on either side of the headstamp...i remember it had really tight primer pockets and if you compared it to the S&B the print on the headstamp was large like the S&B and was the same font...plus the rim was different like S&B....do you suppose winchester was buying it from them and selling it during the obama ammo crunch....D I C K

S&B 9mm brass makes about 60% of my range pickup. I never had a problem reloading these multiple times on my LnL, with no manipulation done to primer pockets.

Proud primers was an issue for me with various brass/primer combinations. I called Hornady, and they shipped me a new primer seating stem, which is a few thou longer than the original. I can now prime even the NT brass - which was impossible before the stem change-over.

I only throw out occasional ICW and other 'no-name' brass.

+1 on the magnet thingy, those Wolf steel cases are a PITA.

It isn't just Wolf, S&B has some Brass Washed steel cases out there. I just check everything with the magnet and if it sticks it goes in the scrap steel bucket.

It isn't just Wolf, S&B has some Brass Washed steel cases out there. I just check everything with the magnet and if it sticks it goes in the scrap steel bucket.

I'm in Toronto, Canada, and the only steel cases I've seen so far are Wolf's. Pretty easy to spot, but the magnet works best. I'm using one from a dead hard drive, steel cases jump to it by themselves. :D