Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do your co-workers know you shoot?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually say I "do shooting sports" if it comes up, which usually results in people asking questions about the sports and equipment rather than focusing on guns as instruments of destruction.

Although I did have a coworker who made pretty offensive remarks like "try not to shoot anyone over the weekend".

One of the female deputies I work with is apparently a friend of someone I met at the indoor range recently, and now she calls me the "sharpshooter." :D Well, this is a small town, so people find out things. Not that I mind at all that my arsenal (and related skills) are recognized. :devil:

When customers and employees find out I shoot competitively, they ask me what I shoot and want to compare my guns to their guns. I do have to spend a lot of time trying to describe practical shooting to people who only know about bullseye and skeet.

Yup,

When it was slow, I use to sort range brass at my old job.

The safety officer complained to me thinking they were loaded rounds. I finally gave up trying to explain and I gave her a piece of brass and told her to throw it at me, stating "That's all the damage empty brass can do." She just looked at it and walked off.

Then I threw a couple of pieces at my co-workers for fun... :roflol:

Edited by ShootsinRain

All of the people I work closely with know. Usually the subject of 'what did you do this weekend?' comes up and I'm not bashful about it at all! I've got a Rudy Project sticker, USPSA sticker, and Springfield Armory sticker on the wall of my cube. Several people have asked, "So what exactly is Practical shooting". And I've explained it to them. Many people are open minded about it and a couple really think it's interesting. Albeit not to the point where they would actually come out to a match. There are a couple that see the open gun on my computer wall paper and immediately turn a bit pale in their face and say stuff about how guns are 'scary'. :rolleyes:

Yes people know I shoot. Unfortunately I work in Madison, WI so I have to put up with the "Don't go postal" or "remind me not to piss you off" comments. Typically I respond by asking why they feel all gun owners are raged filled psychos? That generally ends the conversation.

Most of my co-workers and bosses know I shoot. Very few studid comments. I even bring my guns into work to clean them at lunch hour. Case gage all my ammo at lunch also. Good place to work. (Most of the time)

Since my wife and I both compete it appears everyone we know now associates us with shooting. We are both constantly asked what’s next or where are we heading to this weekend. We are prior military and still work on a base so it is more "acceptable" considering we live in Maryland. (not the most gun friendly state).

We built our own range at our house so it helps get our friends/coworkers and their spouses involved. They seem more relaxed about learning and shooting away from a public range. We also have several retired folks that will shoot at our place on a semi regular basis during the day when we are at work. I LOVE IT!...it keeps the riff raff on their toes! :surprise:

I'm retired so no co-workers to worry about.:cheers:

Interesting story regrding my son who shot with me from an early age. He grew up, as kids do, earned a Masters in EE and went to work at a large national laboratory . A few of his co-workers are shooters so they would make trips to the local outdoor range with me once in a while. Son decided he wanted a Concealed Carry License and asked me who I would recommend for an instructor. He dialed the gentleman up and inquired about his next class. Said instructor, who also works at said labs, told the son that he had no classes scheduled for the next several months but would be willing to put one on if there were enough students. Son spread the info within his department and was blown away by the response. Seventeen folks contacted him and signed up. Needless to say the class happened. Interesting info regarding the folks who attended the class, ages from twentys to sixtys, men and women, all with advanced degrees in engineering.

Second story. A friend who shoots at our local USPSA club and also works at said labs in nuclear weapons had a co-worker chastise him for his affinity of guns and the dangers of guns to people. Mike owns everything from single shot rifles to Class 3 weapons and has a "take no prisoners" attitude to gun haters. Keeping his cool he calmly replied "you're whining at me about guns and we work in a nuclear weapons facility?" The gentleman who now had a very perplexed look on his face turned and walked away.:roflol:

Pat