Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping a Back Up Gun for Major Matches

prreed10

How many here keep and bring a back up gun to major/local matches? I was looking in the safe and see a lot of redundancy - 2 Glock 34's, 2 9mm 1911's, 2 40 S&w Glocks (22 & 35) and all are set up similar. I've been lugging around 2 to major and local matches for the past 3 years and have yet to go to the backup one. It started after I had a squib on the last stage of a Regional match that I could not dislodge. Luckily, it was on the last stage with only 2 targets left, so I did get to "finish" the match. It got me thinking though, what if that happened on the 1st stage of a big match. I know as soon as I dump one, I know I'll need it. I am also looking for a way to finance a 2011 build, and no way I am going to get 2.

murphy at its best. you had a problem and got a backup. since you've carried the backups, you havent needed them. the first day you leave it at home is the day you'll need to go to it to finish the match, haha.

I do not have a backup yet but will hopefully be ordering a new Single Stack gun soon then my current will become my backup and then yes, ill always have it.

I too cannot afford a second 2011 and it's even more pricey in Open. I carry plenty of parts that might need to be replaced - Firing pin stop, slide release, thumb safety, pins and screws, etc. I suppose a non-removable squib would do me in for the match as I do not have a spare barrel. I feel that I have as much insurance this way as I can afford.

I can't afford a back up either, so I carry a few spare parts and I shoot with friends who have guns. I've never been to a match where, if I broke a gun, someone didn't offer to let you use theirs to finish. Shooters are a great bunch of guys :D

murphy at its best. you had a problem and got a backup. since you've carried the backups, you havent needed them.

Sometimes I've had to borrow a backup but I ALWAYS have one for Area and higher matches. My backup is never identical though. I like having something slightly different (sights, grip, etc) so I can change things up without switching classes. Trigger is about the only thing that must be similar. Going from 4lb with .125" of takeup to 1.5lb with .050 takeup mid match is a recipe for an AD. Making sure both guns make PF with your ammo is a good idea too!

BTW, I've never needed my backups either but I've offered them to others and had them take me up on it.

A backup is really only need in those rare circumstances where the primary gun has failure of a part that cannot be easily swapped out to get it up and running immediately (cracked slide for instance). A box of tuned parts and appropriate tools cover the rest.

Ideally, the 2nd gun is an identical setup, but IMHO, anything you have that allows you to keep shooting the match is better than having to stop, which sacrifices all the time, money and the effort made to train and prepare.

Shooting Glocks, it's easy for me to bring an identically set up spare to a major match. I also bring a box of parts on top of that. For local matches, I bring the match gun and the parts only.

The last two years of going to the nationals and Area 2 I have had my 6" or my Edge as my backup for open and my edge as my backup for my 6" gun. I did not need it for the Nationals but last year at Area 2 my open gun was crapping out on me and I just went ahead and shot my 6" limited gun with leftover ammo from the nationals. With the $ outlay for Area matches and higher a backup is a nice thing to have if needed.

Back when I only had my Edge I used to bring my G20 with a KKM .40 conversion barrel in it becuase if my Edge went down I can use the same ammo from the Edge in the G20.

My biggest problem with a backup gun is unless it is exactly the same (and even then) you have to have a whole new set of ammo loaded for it. It is a pain tying up components in loaded ammo that you "might" need to use.

Neal in AZ

I have, I have NEVER needed it, and I doubt I will. I frequently bring extra stuff just in case others need it though. I lent a DOH at Area 8 that was sitting in my Jeep for that reason.

The best way not to need a backup is to keep one handy. The more guns, parts and tools I take to a match, the more likely my primary gun is to run flawlessly. But go to one match without tools, parts, or a backup.....

I always have a backup in the bag. its just a glock 17 with mags and stuff so no matter what div im shooting I can fit that into it(I dont do SS or revo) Im Im doing limited I load it all the way up if production I shoot it with 10 rnds. If I had to do open id would be better than not finishing..lol

I try to keep one for those "oh s&*t, where did my front sight go??" My son shoots a lot with me and I have had to use the backup a few times. It is usually a 1911 so it can cover, SS, L10, Limited and open if i just wanted to finish.

As noted above, it may not be the same as the my primary, but it does allow me to finish.

Dwight

Heck, I've got a backup to the backup! I take two guns to every match, load my ammo to make PF with the slower of the two, and haven't needed them, but have come close twice. The backup to the backup is because with my luck, two weeks before Nationals, or other big match, one of the two primary guns would have something major happen, and have to go to the smith...leaving me to head to a big match without a backup. So, it's three for me! R,

Spare gun all the way if you can afford it. In my opinion it's going to be easier to call the MD over and have him/her approve a gun change than it is fumbling with little parts on a rickety wood table. I can see Aftec springs and caps going all sorts of places other than back in my gun. :(

I've been fortunate and never needed any of the few spare parts I carry as I've only had a breakage but it was a big one. I had the barrel link break on the second round of a 300 round match and didn't have the spare gun along. A good friend let me shoot his gun (we both shot it that day) and I got to shoot the match.

Had it been a Major match I don't think I would want to chance shooting somebody's gun that they are also shooting in that match. I would feel horrible if it broke in that match and he/she didn't get to finish. All I'd be thinking was if two of us hadn't been shooting it, it might have lasted the whole match for the owner. :(

The reason why I got 2 gun's now, I broke a slide on a 9mm Major jam the gun tight at a far away level III match $$$....I didn't have a back up then.....never again and I did borrow a gun to finish but it's not the same..... :cheers:

I always bring at least 1 spare setup, gun, holster, mag pouches/speedloader holders, ect in case I need it, but more importantly if someone else does. Last weekend a few guys showed up at a local match and one forgot his gun, had stuff for him to shoot.

Currently I don't as I am waiting for the 2011 to get back from getting the slide lightened. When that comes back, the 24 is going to be the backup. I do usually take the 34 also so I guess that could get me by now if it needed to.

Edited by EkuJustice

I have a backup gun for each of the divisions I shoot in (SS, Lim and Prod), and the guns are identical. I decided it was cheap insurance for all the time and money I put into going somewhere to shoot a match. Ya, spare fitted parts will most likely keep you in the match (and it's certainly better than nothing), but I like the added comfort that a spare identical gun provides where you just toss the broken one in a bag, and pull out essentially the same gun and press on.

Now, I've been carrying the backup gun to matches for years without needing it, until my most recent match. I got in a hurry in the morning and left my backup gun in the hotel room. Of course, the first time I don't have my backup with me, my gun takes a dump. I had to scavange parts out of my freaking carry gun so I could finish the day.

I started out in production with an XD/XDM combo for primaryh/backup. When I switched to CZ I used the XD as backup. Problem was, I had something for a particular division but had to carry two different rigs and mags etc. Did have 85B and that uses the same mags, rigs etc. Still would like to get used shadow to use since the 85B does not have extended mag release. Thus far never had to use it though so the Shaadow custom is working. Lot of things to say about two guns working with the same setup. Same rig, mags and ammo - sweet.

I have identical 2011 guns and keep one setup for steel (minor) and one setup for USPSA. I always have both and at Level I matches, leave them setup differently. Before Level II and Level III, I'll put back in the same springs and match things up. Still never had to use the backup, but I'm sure if it wasn't there, I'd need it.

I have a back up with me every time I leave the house for a match for the guns that I have back ups to. Short of being DQed I'll finish that match!

Me too. I have spare parts too but both times that I had a failure the parts wouldn't have helped. Pulling out the backup gun in under two minutes is priceless.