Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

69gr. a good compromise?

divelong

The weight is not the factor,

Match Grade, quality bullet, is what makes the difference

We all would like the less expensive bullets to be as accurate as a match grade bullet, and in some cases. They are,

But in my case,, I know I get what I pay for. And I too shoot the 69’s

Jim M ammo

A fun thing to do is watch the trail of the bullet when it's fired. This is usually done at 200 or 300 yards similar to the way you use a spotting scope to watch the mirage in long range shooting. The match grade bullets will be smooth and straight the cheaper bullets will spiral. It's really easy to see why there is a difference in accuracy.

Jeff

Has anyone tried either of these? From what I understand they are what is used in the PVI match ammo. I doubt they are as good as a Seirra Match king or the like, but the price is right and I'm curious if anyone has given them a shot (no pun intended).

Wideners 69grn

wideners 75grn

Yep, all I've shot for the past year is the 69's. They say PRVI on the package. They shoot around 1/2" at 50 yards out of my Noveske barrel when I check zero on my scope. Never shot them for groups otherwise. A bunch of guys on ar15.com have tried them with not much luck for pure acccuracy. They work well enough for 3 gun for me though.

Has anyone tried either of these? From what I understand they are what is used in the PVI match ammo. I doubt they are as good as a Seirra Match king or the like, but the price is right and I'm curious if anyone has given them a shot (no pun intended).

Wideners 69grn

wideners 75grn

Yep, all I've shot for the past year is the 69's. They say PRVI on the package. They shoot around 1/2" at 50 yards out of my Noveske barrel when I check zero on my scope. Never shot them for groups otherwise. A bunch of guys on ar15.com have tried them with not much luck for pure acccuracy. They work well enough for 3 gun for me though.

Haven't shot them in .22 but the .30 cal bullets suck. If you're expecting match grade accuracy, I'm sorry to say you'll probably be disappointed.

For our game, though, they're probably fine.

• 1 month later...

I like the way the steel reacts with the 69gr. vs the 55's. Never shot the 62gr. as a local GM swears the 69's are more accurate. I changed my zero from 55gr factory to my 69gr reloads and all three holes were touching each other at 50 yards. So, I am sold on them out of factory and now I will be reloading 69 SMK from now on!

Go with whatever your barrel likes, don't worry at all about what it weighs. Every barrel will have it's likes and don't likes. As for 68/69 even they are not the same. I have one J.P. barrel that absolutely detests the 68 grain Hornaday Bullet, AND the Nozler 69...to the tune of 4-5" goups at 200. Now give it a Sierra 69 gr. bullet and it is sub M.O.A....BUT with 55 grain bullets it likes BOTH the Nozler and the Sierra Plastic tip bullets and it runs them to almost 1/2 M.O.A....it is a 1X9 barrle and here is the funny part....it shoots 75/77 grain bullets as good as the 55s. Now I just run 55 for everything so I am not worried about it, cause with a scope you can place your hits very preciesly so I don't worry about weight.Find out what your barrrle likes and call it good...then load up a whole boat load of them and practice, practice, practice.

+1 with Kurt. If your gun shoots them, then go for it.

I shot 69 Noslers for a long time. It was an excellent bullet in all of my AR barrels. I've found the Hornady 68s and Sierra 69s to be more barrel sensitive, accurate in some barrels, not in others.

69s are a compromise. They don't shoot as flat as 55s and don't pack quite the wallop or wind resistance of 75/77s. But they are a good compromise nonetheless. I believe Raine won the 2009 ERC with 69 Lapuas.

SMK 69's are nice but not needed for the range you are looking at. A good 55gr will do the job nicely to 325+ yards as long as it is a boat tail, not a flat base. If you get good groups with the 62's you are using, and you know where they hit downrange why change anything.

Wideners 69grn

wideners 75grn

I have used a good amount of the 75gr PRVI's and compared them with my 75gr Hornady loads and could not tell a differance. Out of my Krieger test bbl they both were giving 1/2" groups at 100 and under MOA at 200.

Somewhere, there is a particular bullet with a particular load and a particular length that will consistently shoot well for you in your gun even if there are small variations in the load. It may be a 55gr or a 63gr or a 69gr or one of a several different profiles. It may not be the fastest or the best BC but for some reason it will just work for you. Before you go out and start shooting a new bullet, take the ones you have and run something like a ladder test - find a load that gives you good precision.

Is there much of a difference btwn the Remington loaded 69 grn Sierra Match King and the Federal Gold Medal? The Remington is cheaper, but does it shoot as well as the Federal?

Only one way for you to know for sure. Take out both rounds and shoot them in your gun.

Pat

Uh Mr Lund, I didn't say find a "heavy" bullet, I said find "a" bullet it likes and don't worry about the weight. Two very good shooters, one from the bayou, and one form Illinois use 52Gr bullets and have for years, and they both seem to end up winning like Nationals and such.

I had a couple of boxes of heavy bullets around, but all the lighter bullets made fun of them even though I tried to keep them from doing so, so I had to let them go :roflol:

Is there much of a difference btwn the Remington loaded 69 grn Sierra Match King and the Federal Gold Medal? The Remington is cheaper, but does it shoot as well as the Federal?

Cheaper than dirt has the BVAC for $10 a box 69gr SMK, with good reviews. I almost bought some but decided to load my own.

Edited by CocoBolo