Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powder for 147 BBI

Ryan N

From what I have read, it sounds to me like loading 147's to at least 130-135PF will give better accuracy than powder puff loads. I did a little testing and found this to be true. Now, what is a good powder to do this with? This will be shot through a G17, G34 and occationally a G26.

I have Solo 1000 and TG on hand. I have loaded up some 3.8 Solo 147 BBI to 1.130 and got 135PF through my G34, but I have been cautioned about this load due to pressure concerns.

I was looking at WSF.

Thanks for you help.

Edited by Ryan N

3.1 to 3.3gr of VV N-320 should give around 130pf and a very soft shooting load with any 147gr moly coated bullet in your 9mm.

You might also try a similar amount of Winchester Super Target but be warned that there is little, if any, published load data for WST in 9mm.

Chris

+1 on N320, it's like $30 a pound locally. I figured with the money I save shooting molys, I can spend more on a powder that smells better too =)

Never understood this. If your trying to save money on bullets why buy a more expensive powder? Now VV is good stuff but its just to pricey for my taste. So I use Jacketed and titegroup. I'm going to start using molys and it will either be WST or Solo 1000 with that.

+1 on N320, it's like $30 a pound locally. I figured with the money I save shooting molys, I can spend more on a powder that smells better too =)

It runs $90/4 lbs from Powder Valley plus fees.

What about a more affordable powder? Or is this stuff really that good?

It runs $90/4 lbs from Powder Valley plus fees.

What about a more affordable powder? Or is this stuff really that good?

Yes, it really is that good. If you're loading 3.1gr per bullet, this will end up costing you right at 1 penny per bullet. In the grand scheme of things, a penny a bullet for powder isn't too bad. If you shoot a 150rd match, you've spent a buck and a half on powder.

Yeah, most people scoff at paying $3,000 for a gun of any kind, but we do it without blinking an eye. I figure if your gonna have the best, you'll have to pay for the best. Goes for the powder too. I've been shooting titegroup for years out of my glock under 125's, but just got some n320 to see what all the rave was about.

I pay $19 retail for 1# titegroup, and can get n320 for $27 lb (8# shipped in bulk, with hazmat). It doesn't seem that much more expensive. For pistol, a pound last a pretty good while. I'll give it a try. :cheers:

Yeah, most people scoff at paying $3,000 for a gun of any kind, but we do it without blinking an eye. I figure if your gonna have the best, you'll have to pay for the best. Goes for the powder too. I've been shooting titegroup for years out of my glock under 125's, but just got some n320 to see what all the rave was about.

I pay $19 retail for 1# titegroup, and can get n320 for $27 lb (8# shipped in bulk, with hazmat). It doesn't seem that much more expensive. For pistol, a pound last a pretty good while. I'll give it a try. :cheers:

Your also comparing buying in bulk from a distributor vs buying locally. I'm not scoffing at the cost of good powder. What I find funny is people will try to save money with the molys but then buy more expensive powder because of the smoke.

here is the load i am using with my 147gr BBI's and and both of these powders work extremely well. 3.4gr of HP-38 and WSF. i ran WSF for good while and switched to HP-38 but am happy with either one. i shoot these out of G34 and CZ 75 Shadow. they run either gun very good and accurate. if u can find either one of these you won't be disappointed. i quit using titegroup a long time ago and have switched others off of it. price is also good for either.

Hello: I use Tite Group(9&40) and Clays(45) with Moly bullets. The smoke doesn't bother me at all if I am outside. Those powders are available and cheap. I have not tried N320 but have tried Solo 1000 and think it smokes just as much as Tite Group. I may try WST after I use up 16lbs of Tite Group. Thanks, Eric

When comparing N320 to Solo1000 I found the following information

N320 1lb: $26.00, with charge weight of 3.1 gives you 2258 loaded rounds.

Solo1000 3/4 lb: 14.99, with a charge of 3.8 gives you 1381 loaded rounds.

N320 cost per grain: 0.0037142

S1000 cost per grain: 0.0028552

3.1 of N320 cost 0.0115

3.8 of S1K cost 0.0108

1000 rounds of N320: 11.51

1000 rounds of S1K : 10.84

I think its worth it for N320 don't you?

I have not tried Solo 1000, but I have tried Clays, WST, N320 and WSF in 9mm minor in Glocks. If you want one load for all three barrel lengths, you are probably best off with Clays or N320. Those faster powders will be more efficient in the short barrel of the G26. In the longer Glocks, expect to add 8 to 10 PF on the 17 and 14 to 15 PF on the G34. In the longer barrel of the G34 with 147s at about 135 PF, you will be hard pressed to do better than WSF. It has less spike pressure and with the relatively slower powder will actually be a more efficent round resulting in more reliable cycling, probably with lower SDs as well. However, that load won't make minor in a G26.

TG will smoke with the moly's. if you can get some N320 is the bomb!

Thanks guys.

That stuff is pricy.

Ramshot Compettion is a lot cheaper, almost as clean, feels just about the same as N320.

I have not tried Solo 1000, but I have tried Clays, WST, N320 and WSF in 9mm minor in Glocks. If you want one load for all three barrel lengths, you are probably best off with Clays or N320. Those faster powders will be more efficient in the short barrel of the G26. In the longer Glocks, expect to add 8 to 10 PF on the 17 and 14 to 15 PF on the G34. In the longer barrel of the G34 with 147s at about 135 PF, you will be hard pressed to do better than WSF. It has less spike pressure and with the relatively slower powder will actually be a more efficent round resulting in more reliable cycling, probably with lower SDs as well. However, that load won't make minor in a G26.

I think I am going to use up my Solo and TG and then get either WSF or N320.

Your also comparing buying in bulk from a distributor vs buying locally. I'm not scoffing at the cost of good powder. What I find funny is people will try to save money with the molys but then buy more expensive powder because of the smoke.

Wasn't aiming that at you steel, I had just recently went thru this decision making process, and thought I'd share. I get what you mean though, save a penny here, and spend 2 there.

We're shooters, we are not meant to make economical choices :roflol:

Fwiw, I have loaded wst and n320 and cannot tell a difference, except in price. WST for me in 9 and 40..

Where can I find reloading data on WST. Isn't it another shotgun powder like Solo1K?

I am reloading the similar Precision Moly 147 with WST and Solo1000. They shoot similarly and both meter consistently. They look and smell considerably different though. :rolleyes: Yes WST is another fast shotgun powder. I have had quite a hard time finding published data on WST or Solo for the heavy pistol bullets. I have found enough to know where to safely start working up a load using a chrono on here and various other sites on the inter-web.

Edited by Kevin G.