Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Person in crowd yells "Stop"

Spray_N_Prey

ok i'm a CRO and actually was embarrassed to answer the question with "I don't know", but I didn't.

Ok shooter is in the middle of COF and a person yells "Stop" for no good reason. I know the shooter should "stop" and wait for instruction, but say a shooter has a no-shoot and in a big match and is shooting with his buddy and tells his buddy, if you see me hit a no-shoot (or whatever else may arise), call stop.

So what should be done?

If the guy(s) is doing it to help their buddy, they likely have a "system" worked out to do that on any/all stage(s) so I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt the first time it happened, but maybe tell the RM / MD about it, so if it happens on a different stage they know it wasn't their "first offense" and therefore the person yelling STOP from the gallery could be given a procedural penalty or even a DQ for unsportsmanlike conduct.

What if?

What if someone in the gallery notices a person, by accident coming onto the COF. Wouldn't "STOP" be reasonable?

At our club range, anyone can yell "stop" for a safety reason.

It is outside interference. The RO should stop the shooter and the shooter gets a reshoot.

If there is collusion between the shooter and a friend in the gallery, well that is just poor sportsmanship.

Better to be safe than have an accident.

BTW: Pat is my friend and I do not need any rule book.

Oh Wait--here is it next to my computer, Oh and in my shooter bag, Oh in my garage on my reloading bench.

Edited by pjb45

Couple of thoughts: If there's a legit safety problem, thank the person in the crowd, rectify the situation, reshoot. That out of the way: Interference by someone in the crowd -- subject to a procedural both for the person doing the interfering and for the shooter. Certain it's deliberate, i.e. evidence of a pattern -- 10.6 might come into play. I'd need to be really certain to call that....

Last but not least: If issuing a reshoot, you're notifying the RM, so he can keep track, right?

Person who yelled the assistance would get the Procedural for assisting. You can then give a procedural to the shooter if they accepted and acted on the assistance.

That is if they were really trying to help and trying to scam the system.

it seems simple, but it's not. If i'm a shooter and someone calls "stop" and I hear it, i'm going to stop. How do you know what is intensional and such? How does the RO know if it's intensional?

so no easy answer here ?

Ask the person in the crowd why they yelled stop. They should have a reason. If none then a procedural interference. It would be hard to give the shooter one because in my opinion if I hear stop, I'm stopping. Like others have said though notify the RM so if it happens again, say every time the shooter hits a NS or has a Mike, then there is a record of it.

it seems simple, but it's not. If i'm a shooter and someone calls "stop" and I hear it, i'm going to stop. How do you know what is intensional and such? How does the RO know if it's intensional?

so no easy answer here ?

Ask the person in the crowd why they yelled stop. They should have a reason. If none then a procedural interference. It would be hard to give the shooter one because in my opinion if I hear stop, I'm stopping. Like others have said though notify the RM so if it happens again, say every time the shooter hits a NS or has a Mike, then there is a record of it.

I would think it would be unsportsmanlike like conduct if they made it up.

I would like to think that people wouldn't ever cry wolf when it comes to safety issues though - I've never seen it happen.

The last person who did it to me while I was holding the clipboard got a pretty serious talking to after we cleared the shooter and, in all honestly, if I wasn't feeling like a kinder/gentler RO that day, I would have given him a procedural. Maybe that was a mistaken call, but the guy certainly earned it. I think it should be obvious that chatter behind the line is okay, but yelling at shooters while they attempt a course of fire is utterly unacceptable.

I've yelled STOP from the crowd more than a few times over the years.

It's always been for a squib. And usually there's a few people in the crowd that yell it out. I'd rather save someone's $3000 gun than worry about reshooting.

+1 . I have stopped shooters for stuff not related to what the RO is supposed to be watching, i.e the gun. I have seen targets blow over or movers trip etc. that the RO was unaware of and called stop. It's going to be a reshoot anyway so I figured I would save the guy some ammo.

It's always been for a squib. And usually there's a few people in the crowd that yell it out. I'd rather save someone's $3000 gun than worry about reshooting.

+1 . I have stopped shooters for stuff not related to what the RO is supposed to be watching, i.e the gun. I have seen targets blow over or movers trip etc. that the RO was unaware of and called stop. It's going to be a reshoot anyway so I figured I would save the guy some ammo.

Yup

Yup

I'm all for yelling "Stop" for a squib or other safety issue, but, after the start signal, I don't think that I would interfere with the RO running the shooter for REF.

I'm all for yelling "Stop" for a squib or other safety issue, but, after the start signal, I don't think that I would interfere with the RO running the shooter for REF.

Same here. If I'm the shooter, I don't want to be stopped for REF. It's a bit frazzling for the nerves to be stopped when you haven't done anything wrong and think you're going to be DQ'd.

Same here. If I'm the shooter, I don't want to be stopped for REF. It's a bit frazzling for the nerves to be stopped when you haven't done anything wrong and think you're going to be DQ'd.

I agree. I was the shooter once when there was a REF that I couldn't see from where I was. A bunch of people yelled STOP, and my heart sank because I thought I had done something horribly wrong or got somebody hurt somehow.

On safety issues I am all for it but it needs to be a very obvious safety issue. You think the shooter broke the 180 keep your mouth shut the ro is there watching them and what may look like a broken 180 from your angle might not actually be one. A shooter down range or something else of the sort yell it all day long especially if its out of the RO/shooters view

As a shooter, if I hear "stop" I am going to stop, I don't care who said it. We'll sort out if it was legit after I have shown clear.

As to whether anyone in the peanut gallery should ever yell stop, that should be NO. But..... common sense prevails, if a newer RO is clearly taking a nap and misses something BLATANT I did involving safety, I hope someone yells stop and saves me from causing injury to someone. If its a club match and a popper keeps blowing over, sure yell stop, and save me some ammo. If I am at 181 on the 180, don't call it thats the ROs job. If you see the hole of my muzzle, well thats pretty blatant, maybe you should call it. But it would still be up to the RO to DQ me; if he did not see it, no DQ and I get a reshoot because I was stopped by the gallery.

But as the OP said, if someone yells "stop" 'for no good reason'? At least a procedural to the yeller, and if part of a pattern of behavior, ie repeatedly helping a buddy with clear intent to cheat, DQ for unsportsmanlike to the yeller.

Edited by sfinney

Sure you should yell "STOP" if you see good reason the shooter must stop for safety reasons.

I've been a part of that and no one had any second thoughts that it was the right thing to do.

Sounds like some of Y'all shoot with a few Richard Craniums.