Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

no slide racker?

Aldrin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think slide rackers help any on empty starts. The 2006 TN section had a stage where you started with gun on table unloaded. The shooter who won the stage didn't use a slide racker.

Just because one shooter won one stage, at one match, four years ago, doesn't really prove or disprove anything.

The nice thing is that it's easy to prove or disprove. Simply put it on the timer with and without, and average it.

I know they're faster for me on unloaded starts, and the last time I did one at a local match everybody on my squad said "hey, show me that again". Mag on the table, lined up with the magwell (not touching), pin the gun with the left hand over the scope with one finger on the racker, right hand on the mag. I can seat the mag, lift the gun with the left hand as I grip the gun with my right hand and then release most of my left hand off the scope and pull straight back on the racker...hand falls into place on the left side of the gun. It's much easier to demonstrate than explain, but everybody on the squad said they were going to be working on that one over the Winter. I'm convinced it's absolutely the fastest way to do an unloaded table start, by at least a couple of tenths. That makes a big difference on those 3-4s classifiers. R,

Edit to add: I should probably do a video of that start...it's pretty cool and doesn't take much practice once you've seen it.

Edited by G-ManBart

I don't think slide rackers help any on empty starts. The 2006 TN section had a stage where you started with gun on table unloaded. The shooter who won the stage didn't use a slide racker.

Just because one shooter won one stage, at one match, four years ago, doesn't really prove or disprove anything.

The nice thing is that it's easy to prove or disprove. Simply put it on the timer with and without, and average it.

I know they're faster for me on unloaded starts, and the last time I did one at a local match everybody on my squad said "hey, show me that again". Mag on the table, lined up with the magwell (not touching), pin the gun with the left hand over the scope with one finger on the racker, right hand on the mag. I can seat the mag, lift the gun with the left hand as I grip the gun with my right hand and then release most of my left hand off the scope and pull straight back on the racker...hand falls into place on the left side of the gun. It's much easier to demonstrate than explain, but everybody on the squad said they were going to be working on that one over the Winter. I'm convinced it's absolutely the fastest way to do an unloaded table start, by at least a couple of tenths. That makes a big difference on those 3-4s classifiers. R,

Edit to add: I should probably do a video of that start...it's pretty cool and doesn't take much practice once you've seen it.

Hint: When using a big stick you can put a loaded round under the mag about two inches back to facilitate alignment with the magwell. This can help you keep from bonking the lips into the magwell. It also helps the mag roll right in there. Don't do this with a 140! The round could get caught between the basepad and the magwell. With a 170, there is plenty of extra room and the round causes no problems.

I was practicing the "slap" method and every now and then I would bonk one. You put the round under just like they are when loaded so that they roll in the direction you want the mag to go. I'll try and do a video of this next time I'm on the range. I'm not sure, but I think the last time I did it in a match, I was about 1.2s from the beep to first shot.

Gamer alert: You can't prop the gun, but nothing is said about propping a mag. ;)

JT

Edited by JThompson

So do a video Bart.:cheers:

Pat

I definitely will...now to find a table (bench is kind of covered after the recent press swap). R,

Hint: When using a big stick you can put a loaded round under the mag about two inches back to facilitate alignment with the magwell. This can help you keep from bonking the lips into the magwell. It also helps the mag roll right in there. Don't do this with a 140! The round could get caught between the basepad and the magwell. With a 170, there is plenty of extra room and the round causes no problems.

I was practicing the "slap" method and every now and then I would bonk one. You put the round under just like they are when loaded so that they roll in the direction you want the mag to go. I'll try and do a video of this next time I'm on the range. I'm not sure, but I think the last time I did it in a match, I was about 1.2s from the beep to first shot.

Gamer alert: You can't prop the gun, but nothing is said about propping a mag. ;)

JT

I like the bullet prop idea! I haven't had problems bonking them, but it still makes sense. 1.2s is pretty sporty for an unloaded start! R,

That's pretty much it... move the bullet back a bit so it's not on the angle and it doesn't want to slide out as much. <_<

We should have a contest with the guys that don't use one... How about fastest time to two alpha at five yards. :)

JT

Edited by JThompson

I've had two Open guns that didn't have rackers and two that do. I prefer the racker. If you get the version with the ball detent, you can run it either way. Remember, the metal lost when the dovetail is cut partially offsets the extra mass of the racker. If you don't insert the racker, the slide is even a bit lighter.

I ran an older open gun w/o a racker, and would cut my knuckle when I had to rack the slide quickly.. almost every time. Now Im running a newer gun w/ a Quinn mount and racker, and its night and day different and easier. I will never run another open gun without a racker.

I think if the shooter "thinks" it is faster and better than it IS better. Its all in our heads really . I qualify that with= the time saved must be spread out for every stage, at every match, for at least a year. as in did the slide rack -cost- any time for the one stage /one position that the shooter had to lean out crowd the gun to the wall to make some shots. = did the racker catch the wall or port.

For me shooting 1/2 of my matches on steel , having my thumb catch the slide racker during the draw the racker is not worth it.

Benny Hill built my ipsc gun with a detent ball for the slide racker so that I could shoot the gun in and decide if I liked the racker before the gun was chromed. I shot the gun a year and used the racker enough to decide to mill the slots out before it was chromed.

I do a sweep when it draw so my thumb closeing over the top of the gun as it lifts is how my thumb catches on the SR.

I want to say too that GMan has a cool video , with or with-out a slide racker and any amount of practice I don't think I could touch his speed in the video.

Edited by AlamoShooter

wow...very cool vid Bart!!!!!!!!!!! tho i think with my dexterity i would end up having a 'yard sale' of stuff all overthe ground, but the vid is somthingto think about and practice, tho most of our table starts, we have this card table that has a lot of 'give' in the middle, think ill practice the 'Bart Move/JT prop' and save it for a 'hard' table start, if anything it will givethe course designers around here fits....hehehe