Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How important is a BDC reticle?

TLD

I'll try a 1.5 - 4.5 with a duplex next weekend with targets to 500. I knew my zeros on my old high power rifle and didn't have an trouble hitting the target, as long as I could see it. But since I can't see them because they are usually grey or black, I'm trying a scope.

In the long run, if I stay with optics, does a BDC offer significant advantage over a duplex?

Edited by TLD

I switched from a Simmons Diamond Pro 1.5-5 to a Burris XTR 1-4. The BDC is great. Love it. Wouldn't use any other reticle now. I find the BDC is much faster on the long range.

No guess work any more.

Edited by Trail3

I went to bdc's three years ago. I like knowing that I have a definite drop marked in the reticle rather than holding in space above a target.

I have the burris full field II Tac on my long range rifle and the burris xtr-14 on my midlength.

If you shoot matches at primarily one yardage then there is really no need. I did fine at local matches from 0-200yds with a Simmons 1.5-5. Good optic for the $$ but 400+ I like the bdc

I'm quite fond of my BDC reticule and the 69gr load I've worked up for it. When having to engage multiple targets at various ranges I find it much faster than "dialing" and I find great comfort in having a BDC dot as a reference point instead of holding Kentucky windage. My scope of choice for the money is a Vortex Viper 2x-7x BDC, click on the SPECS tab for detailed info on the reticule layout. Input your zero and load data into their LRBC program and you can have a very good idea at what ranges the BDC dots are. Best price I've found recently has been at SWFA. :cheers:

I resisted going to the BDC for a couple of years. When I finally got around to buying one (Burris XTR 1x-4x) I love it. I shoot targets out to 360 yards and it is great. NO GUESSING anymore. Especially while the clock is ticking.

:cheers:

Edited by Chivas

How well do the BDC's work with handloads that may not have the same velocity or weight that the reticle is calibrated for?

It will depend on how the reticule is calibrated. However, if you know what each BDC dot equals in MOA, your bullet weight, BC, and velocity. Then you can play around with a ballistics calculator (LRBC) to work out what each BDC dot is based on your zero and specific handload. :cheers:

How well do the BDC's work with handloads that may not have the same velocity or weight that the reticle is calibrated for?

They do and they don't......

If you know the dope for your load and learn the holdover/holdoff for you reticle you will be fine.....just like a reticle without BDC :cheers:

Really it is just a personal preference. There may be times a BDC is quicker and times it may be slower. I have shot a Meopta with a KDOT reticle for a few years. I knew my dope and shot very well with it. This last year I started shooting a an XTR with a BDC in it and shot just as well.

You will gain far more from learning your rifle and the dope of your load than you will from the latest wazoo reticle.

If you know the dope for your load and learn the holdover/holdoff for you reticle you will be fine.....just like a reticle without BDC :cheers:

Really it is just a personal preference. There may be times a BDC is quicker and times it may be slower. I have shot a Meopta with a KDOT reticle for a few years. I knew my dope and shot very well with it. This last year I started shooting a an XTR with a BDC in it and shot just as well.

You will gain far more from learning your rifle and the dope of your load than you will from the latest wazoo reticle.

+1

That's whay it's called data on previous engagements. Go out and get some data and write it down and keep it on your rifle somewhere. Especially if you suffer from CRS like me.

Is the triangle and post on the Trijicon accupoints useful for holdover?

It can be, like any reticle used for mid range shooting, you must learn HOW to use it. One thing the TR24 lends itself to is dialing in differant zero's to suite the stage. This is done using a range card with data gathered before shooting the stage, and dialing in the appropriate zero, before the buzzer. Then it is a matter of simply holding at the top, bottom or center of the target. No searching for wich mark in the reticle is going to maybee work for that odd distance target(s). nor is there a need to guess a 36" holdover. I have found this method much more versitile for shooting out to about 400yds than a BDC reticle. It does not signifacantly effect close hoser targets either if there are any on the same stage.

For me a brightly lit daytime visible simple reticle is more valuable than a BDC reticle.

I shot a Z6i circle dot for the last 2 years and did well for my skill level. Using a 300 yard zero, I could easily hit everything from contact distance to 350 yards. Shots past 350 forced me to hold somewhere in space without a reference. I did hit the 600 yard shot at Rocky Mountain with one shot, but only because I practiced that exact shot at the Raton practice range. Turned out that at 600 the shot hit right at the bottom of my circle. I plan on using the Z6i with BRT reticle next year with a 150 yard zero. That puts the bullet within 1.5 inches of the center of the dot from 25 to 200 yards. Nice thing is that Swarovski has a computer program so you can put in your load and check where that hits on the BRT reticle.

Doug

Zero point of triangle at 50/200, use like a red dot at short range, use point of triangle out to max PBR, halfway down triangle 300, bottom triangle 400. All rough but OK for IPSC targets.

I shot with my Bushnell 1.5 - 4.5 duplex reticle this weekend from 5 to 500 yards. I shot my highpower load so I know the trajectory. I figured out how many MOA the fine duplex was at 4.5 and used it to estimate holdover. I liked it and hit out to 500 pretty easily. I shot too low at close range, I should have spent more time figuring that out.

I got to look through an XTR and another scope with BDC and they looked really cluttered (slow) to me. I'm leaning toward no BDC now but will shoot another match or two. I think 1x low end would be better for me than 1.5, and maybe illumination. That's another topic.

Edited by TLD

+1 for the Burris XTR. We shoot pretty short distances in the northeast but I still find the BDC to be really fast. I only use a 25 yard zero as 80%+ of my shots are up close and personal. I use the hash marks above the circle for punching out to distances up 200 or so. It really comes down to knowing your hold and where your impacts are. I find the hash marks are easy for me to pick up and I can nail targets first shot without any guess work.

Zero point of triangle at 50/200, use like a red dot at short range, use point of triangle out to max PBR, halfway down triangle 300, bottom triangle 400. All rough but OK for IPSC targets.

I shot with my Bushnell 1.5 - 4.5 duplex reticle this weekend from 5 to 500 yards. I shot my highpower load so I know the trajectory. I figured out how many MOA the fine duplex was at 4.5 and used it to estimate holdover. I liked it and hit out to 500 pretty easily. I shot too low at close range, I should have spent more time figuring that out.

I got to look through an XTR and another scope with BDC and they looked really cluttered (slow) to me. I'm leaning toward no BDC now but will shoot another match or two. I think 1x low end would be better for me than 1.5, and maybe illumination. That's another topic.

I would go with a BDC. I have had to use a scope without one for a while and while its fine on matches that stay inside 300 yards. It was touger at Larue last year on the long stage. If you don't have a BDC you have to dial to a range at the end of the stage and hold way low on medium ranged targets.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Just got an XTR .....now to try it for awhile.

+1 on the CRS!

+1

That's whay it's called data on previous engagements. Go out and get some data and write it down and keep it on your rifle somewhere. Especially if you suffer from CRS like me.

Anyone can hit the shots in 3Gun. It's hitting them fast that counts. I agree with getting to know your rifle is better. If I wanted to hit dangerous game while patrolling in no mans land, a BDC is very helpful if you know how to use it. I looked at the new Mark 8 from Leupold at Ft. Benning. This is the best optic out there right now. Very expensive. Try a Trijicon TR24R. You do not need a BDC reticle for 3Gun and they can slow you down, especially on TA01NSNs, which are excellent combat type scopes.