Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were still running the original follower, I'd bet I could manage another shell on my 22" JM with an XL end cap (2 3/4" shells, of course). The XXL should do it without question, although it will stick out beyond the barrel slightly. I've been meaning to move to extended chokes, which I'm betting (hoping?) will run about even wit the XXL end cap.

Not sure how tight or loose the 24" tube is in comparison.

My friend has the 22" and factory follower, he got the extra shell w/XXL cap.

I have the 24" and could do the same, xtra shell, w/factory follower. In mine with the Nordic Low Drag (longer than factory) I could NOT get an extra shell.

When I get my +1 and +2 caps I plan to cut the Nordic follower down to allow the extra shells. I like the red anodized finish on the Nordic, easier to see.

Got it, thanks for clarifying, not sure I've even seen a 24" JM locally to date! A good number of 22s, plus a few VMs, FNs, Benellis here..

I'm with you on the red, had bought some 'neon green' nail polish for my OEM, then wound up picking up an RCI red follower. It's basically a longer hollow 'cup,' vs some of the solid type followers, so shouldn't be reducing capacity much if at all. Might be an option if you decide to try a different follower if the +1/+2s don't materialize?

Please post pics once the +1 and +2s show up!

• 2 weeks later...

First post on this site, and I would like to comment on the new 930 JM 8+1 I bought yesterday.

After reading almost everything on this site about 930's I had an idea of what quality issues I might be faced with, but bought it anyway.

Function check out of the box went well, put only two shells (winchester bulk pack that I will never buy again, thanks to previous posts for the heads up!) into the tube and one in the chamber and all three fired nicely. Started the breakdown and after taking the magtube cap off there wasn't as much tension as I expected. Turns out in the middle of the spring there was a knot. I have since undone that and cleaned all the packing grease and gunk off of the rest of the gun, lubed and reassembled. Loaded 8+1 dummy rounds and all worked fine.

Mail today should have my Nordic XXL cap and tomorrow my 10/22 XP hammer spring should be in.

Tonight I learn how to polish a shotgun and shave down the fore end after shooting a couple of boxes through and clean it again.

Thanks again to all the previous posters and their documented experiences!

post-49776-0-00004000-1379608088_thumb.j

Well I cleaned and lightly polished all the places mentioned in previous posts and everything works great.

Except that spring only works with 5 or fewer in the tube. As soon as six or more go in it rolls on itself and then binds.

Looks like I need a new spring :(

Get a Nordic spring. Mossberg spring is crap. Insert it in tube, cut it at 14" past end of tube, and test from there. You may need to cut another inch or two off to get it to cycle correctly. Some buy two, sacrifice the first, and cut the second an inch or two longer than where the first failed. Also, polish the follower, and be sure to bend the end of the spring so it doesn't gouge the follower or end cap.

First post on this site, and I would like to comment on the new 930 JM 8+1 I bought yesterday.

After reading almost everything on this site about 930's I had an idea of what quality issues I might be faced with, but bought it anyway.

Function check out of the box went well, put only two shells (winchester bulk pack that I will never buy again, thanks to previous posts for the heads up!) into the tube and one in the chamber and all three fired nicely. Started the breakdown and after taking the magtube cap off there wasn't as much tension as I expected. Turns out in the middle of the spring there was a knot. I have since undone that and cleaned all the packing grease and gunk off of the rest of the gun, lubed and reassembled. Loaded 8+1 dummy rounds and all worked fine.

Mail today should have my Nordic XXL cap and tomorrow my 10/22 XP hammer spring should be in.

Tonight I learn how to polish a shotgun and shave down the fore end after shooting a couple of boxes through and clean it again.

Thanks again to all the previous posters and their documented experiences!

If you call Mossberg , with your purchase date and serial number at hand, and tell them the problem they may send you another spring.

I lost the latch retaining pin clip accidentally during cleaning and they sent me two pins and two clips, no charge.

I've run my factory mag spring for the last year and a half without any problems, so I don't think this spring was junk. Yes springs do get weak but yours was damaged before you had a chance to shoot it.

I do have two new springs and will be fitting these for my +1 and +2 caps when they arrive from Roulette Tactical.

Yes, the Mossberg QC sucks but these guns do seem to work pretty good.

Thought I'd posted this in here, but must have been one of the other threads.

My 22" JM with RCI follower and the Nordic XL (not XXL) end cap will fit 9 2 3/4" shells in the tube, with the end cap sticking out slightly past flush. I'd expect an extended choke to make it flush.

There is very little room in the tube with 9 shells, perhaps 1/4"-1/2" at most. I've run 100 rounds through it to test functionality with no issues, but I'll be keeping the XXL end cap - it wouldn't take much length difference across 9 shells to bring it to #9 just misses fitting, and I do swap ammo types depending on what I see on sale..

XL on gun, OE below, then the XXL end cap:

eM2Is3J.jpg

jYGE7he.jpg

I called Mossberg and left a message for now. Will try and get someone who has a pulse when I have time.

This weekend we had a DMG match and so I put a duck plug in it hoping that when I loaded 6 that it would keep the spring from flipping on itself. It worked great and the gun worked smoothly. One stage called for slugs and all we had laying around were 3" mag slugs. The kick from the 4 rounds of 3" mag slugs was very nice and just the recoil jump was the only thing that slowed me down.

Now I need to practice loading and manipulation drills!

Edited by TheCattleman

I called Mossberg and left a message for now. Will try and get someone who has a pulse when I have time.

Good luck, this has been a big weakness at Mossberg, most of the phone-talkers don't know shite from apple butter, and a few appear to make up BS instead of saying, "IDK, but I will find out"

Anyone know if Edna is still in CS at Mossberg? She was there, then was gone, then back. She was awesome, is a member here, and Edna got stuff taken care of.

Adding a minor item in that was probably covered somewhere in this huge thread.

The 4 tiny screws on top for a rail mount can apparently back out under use. I didn't lose any of 'em, but did come back from a match and noticed one of them had started backing out. Doesn't seem like any loc-tite or threadlocker was applied from factory, a bit of blue loc-tite cured that.

Shot the match with the XL (not XXL) extension tube cap in place, loading to 9+1 on my 22" JM w/RCI follower. Zero issues, now at around 150 rounds through with the XL end cap on, 700 rounds total on the gun so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge thread is right....it has to be pushing some kind of record for the longest thread ever.....lol

I am selling my 930 if anyone is interested.....It is the Waterfowler with the 24" nonported barrel from Mossberg....9+1 Choate extensio and competition bolt handle......Briley Improved Modified Choke.....opened up the feed port.....asking 600 bucks....mssg me for pics if interested.....I have some pics already posted on this massive thread.....somewhere

Just a heads up to anyone interested. I saw that palmetto state armory has the JM pro 930 24" 10 round in stock right now for a pretty sweet price. Just thought I'd pass it along to this forum since I hear of how hard they are to come by.

Just a heads up - Nordic has XL and XXL end caps for the 'JM style' non-MXT mag tubes in stock currently.

http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/nc-extensions/nc-shotgun-extension-tube-xxl-end-cap/

Thanks! Been waiting for one of these.
Here's the +2 I got from Roulette you think you might want a little bit more.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/HunterMKIII2245/shotgun/IMG_00041_zps8768d633.jpg

Edited by LikesToShoot

Huge thread is right....it has to be pushing some kind of record for the longest thread ever.....lol

I am selling my 930 if anyone is interested.....It is the Waterfowler with the 24" nonported barrel from Mossberg....9+1 Choate extensio and competition bolt handle......Briley Improved Modified Choke.....opened up the feed port.....asking 600 bucks....mssg me for pics if interested.....I have some pics already posted on this massive thread.....somewhere

Looks like a new JM runs about 600 bucks so I will take 500 for my 930 Waterfowler build if interested....and it has a Light Modified choke instead of Improved Modified as previously posted......Thanks

post-35830-0-05381400-1380920892_thumb.j

Edited by RED357

Hi, I just picked up one of the 24" JM Pro's last week and so far so good with about 70 rounds through it. I have a newbie question regarding whether it is worth keeping the barrel clamp on or simply removing it? I'm not sure it is worth the hassle of dealing with it every time you want to disassemble the gun and the potential for it impacting POI as I have read. Are there any tangible benefits in using it?

Thanks!

Hi, I just picked up one of the 24" JM Pro's last week and so far so good with about 70 rounds through it. I have a newbie question regarding whether it is worth keeping the barrel clamp on or simply removing it? I'm not sure it is worth the hassle of dealing with it every time you want to disassemble the gun and the potential for it impacting POI as I have read. Are there any tangible benefits in using it?

Thanks!

Bayonet charge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I took mine off and the slug poi is dead on at 75yd. I also dont dump my shotgun like the pros. Actually after watching a video of myself I dump it much "softer" than I thought. ;-)

Edited by usmc1094

Thanks!

Hi, I just picked up one of the 24" JM Pro's last week and so far so good with about 70 rounds through it. I have a newbie question regarding whether it is worth keeping the barrel clamp on or simply removing it? I'm not sure it is worth the hassle of dealing with it every time you want to disassemble the gun and the potential for it impacting POI as I have read. Are there any tangible benefits in using it? Thanks!
Bayonet charge! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It will help protect the tube from damage during rough dumps in barrels, etc.

I took mine off and the slug poi is dead on at 75yd. I also dont dump my shotgun like the pros. Actually after watching a video of myself I dump it much "softer" than I thought. ;-)

Thanks for the replies. I went and did a search (should have started with that), and will probably still run mine with the tube slightly loose before clamping. I'll have to retest with slugs to see where it is printing.

Thanks again!

I guess I'll throw in my range report... I picked up a Patrick Flanigan "Rhythm" Signature Series 930 at the local Sportsman's Warehouse.

I am so happy with the gun it's ridiculous. Good price point, decent trigger, 4 chokes, FO sight, 28" barrel, and a 12 round tube for kicks! (Also comes with setup for a 4+1).

I bought it mostly to shoot clays with (never done much of that in the past) and figure it'll see some 3 gun shoots sooner or later as its my only shotgun, but I'm in it for the fun more than the competition.

It has fired about 200 rounds of mixed light to medium bird loads in less than 2 weeks and has been flawless. It's a little heavy for my wife (I've got her doing shoulder exercises) but even she says it recoils soft and smooth.

Definitely a better shotgun than I am a shooter, and just as unique.

post-40264-138103899214_thumb.jpg