Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

I went to the NTOA Vendor Show in Richmond this morning. I spoke with the Mossberg Rep there and he said the Jerry Miculek 930 will be ready at Shot Show in January and should be available after that. I asked if he thought it could be as soon as March or April, and he said more than likely. He said something about Mossberg producing 1000 of them, but I may have misunderstood him. Got a free hat, so I left happy. :)

Grrrr :angry2:

Home built Mossberg 930, or FN SLP MRK I...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the gun is debuting at the Shot Show, it is fair to believe there will be no formal press on it until then. I wouldn't expect photos until then.

I just ordered a 930 Turkey with the pistol grip (open division) and plan on fiddling with it on my own.

If the gun is debuting at the Shot Show, it is fair to believe there will be no formal press on it until then. I wouldn't expect photos until then.

I just ordered a 930 Turkey with the pistol grip (open division) and plan on fiddling with it on my own.

Nor would I expect it. But someone has had to come in contact with Benny's prototype and thought to take a picture. :rolleyes:

Heard it from a little birdie, mossberg will be sending me a prototype in a few weeks. Production should be in about 12-16 weeks.

Est. Mid Aug

Mossberg said they were going to send me a prototype soon to look at & production soon after.

Ended up being Mid Aug :rolleyes:

Saw the Miculek Model at Rockcastle today, & it looks really nice. Benny had one field stripped, looks very simple. The other was the 22" gun. Nordic mag tube, fiber optic sight, but I think he said he put that on. Nice soft recoil pad, threaded for chokes. Said it should be on the market within 30 days. He's shooting it in the match, running great.

Ok now Mid Sept.

I went to the NTOA Vendor Show in Richmond this morning. I spoke with the Mossberg Rep there and he said the Jerry Miculek 930 will be ready at Shot Show in January and should be available after that. I asked if he thought it could be as soon as March or April, and he said more than likely. He said something about Mossberg producing 1000 of them, but I may have misunderstood him. Got a free hat, so I left happy. :)

What the heck?! (I am in no way faulting those who reported these dates)

In in 30 days it goes from being an August / September release, to a January / February or even March or April release?

Did they have to take the gun back to rework it, or is this all for marketing?!

If I was finding this out in May I'd probably just go buy an FN SLP MKI. But with winter coming and shoots drying up and not restarting till March, I'm on the fence over building and tuning one over winter, or waiting for the JM Pro Series to materialize. :blink:

Anyone with a 930 ever have success filling a 10 round tube and getting the shell to come out of the mag tube to chamber by hand?

Not sure what you mean, but my 930 with a +5 (9 total) Nordic needs a very firm hand cycle to chamber a round.

It was this way with the stock tube also and at first I thought the gun had a problem but it loaded every time when shot just not when trying to chamber the first round by hand.

I think it has gotten easier with use.

David E.

Anyone with a 930 ever have success filling a 10 round tube and getting the shell to come out of the mag tube to chamber by hand?

Not sure what you mean, but my 930 with a +5 (9 total) Nordic needs a very firm hand cycle to chamber a round.

It was this way with the stock tube also and at first I thought the gun had a problem but it loaded every time when shot just not when trying to chamber the first round by hand.

I think it has gotten easier with use.

David E.

it's just kinda lame...i know it feeds when shot, but hand cycling it will never work with a full tube...ever. tried nordic springs, cut to differing lengths, etc. just sucks.

For anyone currious about what the NP 24" kit includes.

Even more reason IMO to get the cheapest 930 you can find, since the chokes and sights are included.

The 930 24in accu choke vent ribs are usually ported. But we can make a non ported one also for sale. We run it for $150.00 + s/h. it is a vent rib barrel with fiber optic snap on sight system. It comes with 3 chokes, mod in the barrel full and imp cyl as accessories. If you would like to purchase this barrel please call us at 1-800-363-3555

I bit the bullet and ordered a 930 and the non-ported barrel from mossberg as my usual mail order source had them at a good price. I'm sure they'll announce availability for the JM model tomorrow. I've got 2 shotgun matches and a 3-gun coming up, so I got tired of waiting.

Just to ask you guys, I have the 930 with the 18.5" non ported barrel, what would be the problem with having that threaded and using that in a competition?

Also, Just so you guys know, Mossberg does offer a pistol grip buttstock for these, its part number is: SKU#19002 (PG STOCK(INC.PAD&SCREWS)$74.00 PLUS $8.95

It looks like this when it is attached: IMG_20101019_183248.jpg

Does that extra layer of rubber come off the stock? I am a small guy and that looks really long.

Just to ask you guys, I have the 930 with the 18.5" non ported barrel, what would be the problem with having that threaded and using that in a competition?

Also, Just so you guys know, Mossberg does offer a pistol grip buttstock for these, its part number is: SKU#19002 (PG STOCK(INC.PAD&SCREWS)$74.00 PLUS $8.95

It looks like this when it is attached: IMG_20101019_183248.jpg

Does that extra layer of rubber come off the stock? I am a small guy and that looks really long.

There is pretty much no adjustment for that stock. You can remove some of the rubber by cutting it, but that is about it as far as shortening it goes. The extra collar is so that you can get a wrench on the nut on the threaded tube easier...

On the Choate pistol grip stock there is a 5/8" spacer between the stock and the recoil pad. It is removable, but its there to clear the return spring housing. I replaced the recoil pad with the much shorter 1/2" Choate recoil pad, knocks almost an inch off of the LOP. The 1/2' pad doesn't do much to mitigate recoil...

My next plan is to cut the threads deeper on to the the return spring housing so I can lose the stock nut spacer, shorten the housing and lose the stock spacer and return the larger recoil pad to the stock.

eta: I don't have enough posts to link pictures...

Edited by BBossman1

I just bought a used 930 28" synthetic... couldn't wait anymore and the price was legit. I'm gonna pick out some parts amd fix her up...

I am in the same boat, I have access to a free 930. Ordering a Nordic tube, bolt handle, and follower this week. I am looking for stock options. I might just take it the duracoat route.

Me too. Got a like-new 930 combo with a 28" VR and a 24" rifled slug barrel on Gunbroker for $375. Picking out the Nordic parts now. Promod, is Nordic making a Mossberg follower now, the teflon ones won't work on them I hear. They are supposed to be making one for Mossbergs soon. Just have to decide if I want the factory 24" VR or cut the 28" one down.