Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Well the good news is that Mossberg sent me 3 forearm retainers for the price of one. The bad news is that it won't ship till after area 1.

It was $48 for express and $65 for overnight on a part that weighs 10 grams and cost $4.

EB, thanks I could also get a slightly taller front sight ;).

Does anyone know if shooting about 150 rounds without the retainer will be cause any harm?

Better yet does anyone want to send me their used one for a new one, priority mail on my dime?

Cheers

Vince

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Edited by serevince

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here want to do away with their stock 18.5 inch SPX barrel?

I've got plans for a home defense gun.

Would you take one with an Advantage Tactical Sight? I have an extra 18.5" 930 SPX barrel without chokes. They are $164 on Mossberg's web sight. I'd sell the barrel with the sight ($129) for $125+shipping. Without the sight they hit very high(14" @ 25yds) but with the sight they will hit point of aim out to 75+yds easy.

Here is a link to the ATS sight - http://www.advantagetactical.com/store/mossberg-sight.html

I'm not sure i can post a photo, but i can get it to someone who can.

Edited by Mark Woodfield

Just curious, what barrel did your SPX come with if you don't have an 18.5" ? You must have the canted one?

Oh it came with the FO front sight. I have a non SPX with a breacher barrel also, but the breacher has no front sight, just a bead.

Basically I want to keep a stock spx 930 for HD (add tritium inserts instead of the FO, and add a tritium rear ghost ring)

I want to have one 18.5" spx barrel stock for competition incase there are any really close stages where a shorter barrel and more spread is to my advantage.

How about just the barrel without that sight? does it come with the standard SPX sight? (the lpa front tower fiber optic?)

Would you take one with an Advantage Tactical Sight? I have an extra 18.5" 930 SPX barrel without chokes. They are $164 on Mossberg's web sight. I'd sell the barrel with the sight ($129) for $125+shipping. Without the sight they hit very high(14" @ 25yds) but with the sight they will hit point of aim out to 75+yds easy.

Here is a link to the ATS sight - http://www.advantagetactical.com/store/mossberg-sight.html

How about just the barrel without that sight? does it come with the standard SPX sight? (the lpa front tower fiber optic?)

The barrel came with a tiny brass bead that i'm not sure what i did with. It is the Home Defense model. $85+ shipping would be okay with me.You WILL want a different front sight! I really pi...d off a couple of friends when i loaned them the gun for a 3G match i couldn't make. They could not hit anything with it.

Looking for one of these barrels.

85360.jpg

The barrel came with a tiny brass bead that i'm not sure what i did with. It is the Home Defense model. $85+ shipping would be okay with me.You WILL want a different front sight! I really pi...d off a couple of friends when i loaned them the gun for a 3G match i couldn't make. They could not hit anything with it.

On the topic of chokes...

I've got 2 barrels I'm planning on using for 3 gun, a 18.5 choked and a 24 choked.

Do extended length choke tubes in effect work like a "longer barrel" which would be similar to make the choke more effective?

At what range and choke style (full/extra full) would a 18.5 " be running near the range capabilities of a 24" cylinder bore?

Any recommended brands? I'm considering Carlson with these 3 chokes

Cylinder bore - flush fit

Modified - Extended

Extra Full - Extended

Are there any issues when shooting bird shot / slugs through an extra full choke? ? I'm guessing mostly lead bird shot (#6-#8) and slugs

Also, your thoughts on a poly choke ?

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke.htm

You insert one "choke" its adjustable based on turns.

Edited by five six

Pretty sure you aren't supposed to shoot slugs through anything tighter than modified. No personal experience, just what I read somewhere on the internet. :rolleyes: I guess you could cut your slug open and see if it drops through an extra full choke tube.

I've got 2 barrels I'm planning on using for 3 gun, a 18.5 choked and a 24 choked.

Do extended length choke tubes in effect work like a "longer barrel" which would be similar to make the choke more effective?

At what range and choke style (full/extra full) would a 18.5 " be running near the range capabilities of a 24" cylinder bore?

Modified - Extended

Extra Full - Extended

Are there any issues when shooting bird shot / slugs through an extra full choke? ? I'm guessing mostly lead bird shot (#6-#8) and slugs

Most guys run Improved Cylinder, or Light Modified.

Briley has a good table explaining the range and pattern. (as do others)

http://www.briley.com/understandingshotgunchokesabriefexplanationbybriley.aspx

I wouldn't recommend shooting slugs from anything tighter than Improved Cylinder, unless the choke documentation says otherwise.

Edited by EvilBetty

Nope, fully serious. I placed the order 9/22 and had the barrel in less than a week. I emailed the address listed upthread. It was a woman who called me back for the CC info, but I don't recall her name.

That's how it went for me too. Woman called me back, cc info, estimated 2.5 weeks.With the exception of the product being delivered.

I really appreciate the update, I'll do the same. I sent Joe an email asking for an update on my order. I'll keep the thread posted on how it goes.

Thanks again for keeping us all in the loop. I'm reminding myself that Mossberg is going out of their way to make me a custom product, that I only heard about on a forum. I know they've made them for several people already, thanks to Edna. Wouldn't be the first time I waited for something custom that I really wanted to play some game that doesn't mean anything :D

Kevin :cheers:

Update on my barrel order. I left a message for Joe today and Linda called me back this afternoon. She confirmed my order was indeed in their computer system and they should have a batch of barrels done this week. That's on schedule for what I was originally told.

I brought up that someone else had ordered a barrel after me and received one already. She didn't know what happened, obviously I didn't have the customers name or order number. She did suggest that possibly that order had been for a different finish than the ones I ordered. That seems pretty plausible to me. Can't wait to get my new barrel.

Thanks again to Edna, Joseph, and everybody on this thread for making it possible to get a custom barrel.

Kevin

Yet another update and still no barrels. I spoke to Joe Zacher on Friday of last week, 10-7, he told me he was looking at a batch of 30 non ported barrels that were just waiting to be proof fired and then shipped. He personally told me "your barrel will ship monday". Guess what it didn't . Called again today. Joe wouldn't take my call, a customer service agent told me that Joe said "sorry about that, they're still working on the hardness of the barrels, sorry." I asked her if there was an ETA on shipping, she said no. That's twice Joe has misled me about shipping dates. The first in the original email he sent me that stated 2.5 weeks, and then again on the phone last week. Now he won't talk to me.

This doesn't look good to me.

Just wanted to let anybody who's thinking about going down this path what it might entail. At this point I'm wishing I bought an FN. I bought a 930 specifically because of Joe's timeline and some good reports of his service that I had read here. Now I've got a shotgun I wish I didn't.

My advice to anyone thinking of going this route is to get the barrel in hand first. May seem like common sense, but I took this Joe guy at his word. Twice now, and got burned both times.

FWIW

Kevin

...but I took this Joe guy at his word. Twice now, and got burned both times.

FWIW

Kevin

I'm not sure you got burned, Capt Dramaboy. Productions delays, OK. If Mossberg takes your money and says, "Fuq you" then you will be burned.

...but I took this Joe guy at his word. Twice now, and got burned both times.

FWIW

Kevin

I'm not sure you got burned, Capt Dramaboy. Productions delays, OK. If Mossberg takes your money and says, "Fuq you" then you will be burned.

Pretty strong response Ben. Without any name calling, at least here. I stand by what I said. I was told "I'm looking at your barrels" on Friday afternoon and "they'll ship Monday". That was the second time he gave me a ship time. The first time, sure stuff happens. After I bought the shotgun, yeah not so much.

I'll give you they haven't billed me yet, but I've made purchases based on their promise. Maybe that's my foolishness. My purpose in the post was to alert any one else to the issues that might be involved.

Isn't that one of the purposes of this thread? Edna/Yvette was cool enough to make it happen. She's gotten, and some of it from me, alot of kudos for it. When you promise and it doesn't happen you hear about that too. That's the way it works where I do business anyway.

Kevin

Slugs and chokes,

I wouldn't recommend shooting slugs from anything tighter than Improved Cylinder, unless the choke documentation says otherwise.

The thought that slugs can only be shot through "open" chokes without damage/loss of accuracy is well, not exactly true. I (and others) have shot slugs through all my chokes up to full to check the POI. So if a stage requires a tighter choke for some heavy/distant steel and slugs, I can use the correct choke.

David E.

Do a search on slug, chokes

one such thread:

My link

Edited by Nuke8401

Modified - Extended

Extra Full - Extended

I've been using a poly-choke and it works well for me. To a thread below, in stages where I need my xFull setting and need slugs, I run the slugs on full with no problems whatsoever to date.

RE the barrels, I've been waiting for a part they have in stock (a pic reciever rail) and its taken them 3-4 weeks and it still hasn't been shipped yet.

I'm not exactly sure whats happening but they are having issues with production/customer service/ or something else.

That being said, they are still pleasant on the phone.

Edited by five six