Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to check your 9 mm brass

Kamotion

Sorting by headstamp, you should probably be ok. The berdan stuff often tends to be steel (Wolf and the other Russian brands). The really common stuff you'll find (Win, WCC, FC, RWS, Blazer brass, Speer, RP, Fiocchi, *I*, IMI, *-*) is all going to be boxer. You're probably more likely to run into crimped 9mm primer pockets than berdan primed brass cases.

I frequently use the plastic trays from Federal ammunition to inspect/count brass. Drop a handfull on an empty tray and most of the cases will fall in head first (heavier end down) and then you can look down into them and if you use antoehr tray to flip them you can look at all the headstamps at the same time. I have a cardboard tray that holds 6 trays so I can do 300 at a time.

Neal in AZ

Any shallow tray/box/pan, with sides tall enough to keep cases from jumping out, will do. Two or three handfuls, a few shakes and many of the cases will fall mouth up. Set the box under a good light, pick 'em out into two new containers, one Boxer, one Berdan. When you're done with the cases that are upright, shake the box up again and repeat, adding more unsorted brass as you go.

As pointed out above, though, most brass available in the US is Boxer primed, and the exceptions are fairly easy to pick out (often aluminum or steel cased, both usually with distinctive colors).

Google it for more details...but basically Berdan and Boxer were two guys a long time ago who came up with different designs for primers/cartridge heads. Boxer uses a primer with integral anvil and a single centered flash hole. Berdan uses primers without anvils and requires the cartridge head to provide the anvil. Since the anvil is centered, instead of a centered flash hole there are two offset flash holes.

Since berdan primer brass doesn't have a centered flash hole, a normal (boxer) decapper will hit solid brass and bend or something will break if you use it to deprime berdan primed brass.

Thanks for the clarification NJL. From the initial description, I thought it was the brass itself you guys were referring to. Poking around on the various links (thanks Maksim) found further clarity and an illustration.

Just when I thought I had my bases covered... :surprise:

Sherry

I um... don't check. Nor do I sort by headstamps.

Toss craploads of 9mm brass in tumbler. Load it. Pitch the accursed .380s as they go through the sizing die with zero effort... and crank out ammo.

Scrounge your brass somewhere else. ;)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Toss craploads of 9mm brass in tumbler. Load it. Pitch the accursed .380s as they go through the sizing die with zero effort... and crank out ammo.

Sounds about right

Exactly! I do too much volume to give a shit sometimes. :roflol:

I used this method with success for a long time. Then I bought a box of brass from the wrong vendor. About 1 in 10 is either a crimped primer pocket or a berdan primer. It's quicker to sort the brass than to deal with all of the stoppages while re-loading. Once I start pulling the handle I don't like to stop until the primer buzzer goes off.

Does anyone else have problems with the Speer frangible ammo? I cooked off a primer on my 1050 last week because the primers were not pushing out all the way. I missed it, felt something funny but assumed it was the bulletfeeder and ...WHAMMO! It woke me up for sure! :surprise:

I then noticed that every single Speer acted up. A buddy of mine shot a bunch of it on our home range so I now have it mixed in our brass bucket. Time to cull the herd...let the fun begin. <_<

This hasn't caused you any consistency issues with accuracy or when you had to get chrono'd at a match? If no, then what components and brew are you using?

130gr Black Bullet International moly

3.8gr Solo1000 (**This will vary WIDELY depending on lot #**)

1.124" OAL

Wolf Primer

I load to 133pf at 80* outside temperature. Pleny of cushion.

I even load the CCI Aluminum cases the rest of you guys pitch. A buddy loaded one specific case *EIGHTEEN* times before it tore at the mouth. Good enough for me. They run just fine.

Edited by MemphisMechanic