Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i dq'ed yesterday.

thebigdogg316

i was shooting at a uspsa match yesterday. i dq'ed on stage 1. it was AD after 8 rounds during a reload. i realized my mistake and started to fix the problem. my question is what do you folks do to overcome the mental part of the dq? i was really pissed and grabbed my gear and went to the safe zone to de-gun. i hung out at the truck to calm down and went back to the match only to leave shortly after. i am the type of person that thinks failure is not an option and is very hard on myself. any help would be great.

There is a saying that I have seen here and heard at several matches when a DQ is issued.

"There are two types of shooters, those that have been DQed once, and those that will be DQed"

I would say to look at it as a *learning experience* and go through and re-examine your routines and then do what needs to be done to not be DQed again. :cheers:

Edited by Classic_jon

your best bet is to find out whty you DQ'd( sounds like you already have that part figured out). then during dryfire practice with slow deliberate motions, you need to find an alternate spot for the trigger finger when reloading or moving. make slow repititions and burn the new finger placement into your subconscious. On your next match, dont worry about speed or anything, just worry about the safety issues. once you fall off the horse, you gotta get back on! :cheers:

You've already started the fix for mental mistakes - admitting you did it - knowing that you screwed up and knowing there is a way to fix it. It's rough being fallable. We all are and when we realize it we're in a better place because now we look to stop it. Kudos to you for posting it, taking steps to rectify it and vowing to never let it happen again. The sting of it happening will wear off as you move forward.

You must always keep your trigger finger out of the guard when reloading, moving or clearing a jamb. Even if no AD occurs, it is still an offense that will get you DQ'd.

As Classic-jon said, there are two types of shooters. Hopefully, it will never happen to you again but that is not likely. If it does, stay for the entire match after you put your gear away and get your emotions under control. Paste targets for your squad or be the designated scorer or RO. You can always learn something and it is considered a classy behavior by most of us competitors.

Edited by XD Niner

You must always keep your trigger finger out of the guard when reloading, moving or clearing a jamb. Even if no AD occurs, it is still an offense that will get you DQ'd.

As Classic-jon said, there are two types of shooters. Hopefully, it will never happen to you again but that is not likely. If it does, stay for the entire match after you put your gear away and get your emotions under control. Paste targets for your squad or be the designated scorer or RO. You can always learn something and it is considered a classy behavior by most of us competitors.

+10 Stay after you put up your gear and help out. I personally think that too many of us are taking this all to seriously (the game that is, not the safety aspect of it). It shows good sportsmanship. Remember, it's a game, a sport, and as such, mistakes can happen...Learn from them.

If you ain't wreckin', you ain't racin'"

Jerry Miculek to me, after my Dairy Queen at the 2007 Nationals.

It sucked huge and still hurts but I'm a MUCH better competitor today because of it.

Jim

Yes .....i agree with GrumpyOne.....When I "Dairy Queen" I put my stuff away, look up which rule I broke, Memorize it and help out as much as I can. I figure helping with all the not-so-fun stuff, are my Pennants for screwing up. It forces me to remember and improve myself. And it helps out.

my question is what do you folks do to overcome the mental part of the dq? i was really pissed and grabbed my gear and went to the safe zone to de-gun. i hung out at the truck to calm down and went back to the match only to leave shortly after. i am the type of person that thinks failure is not an option and is very hard on myself. any help would be great.

you just gotta take note of what you did and how it happened, hang around and help reset stages, relax, let it roll, and just come back to shoot at the next match with a positive/slightly cautious mindset. staying at home wont help you get over it.

I was at the chipacracker yesterday and he was rubbing on my back with his thumb trying to find whatever he was looking for. When he found it he kind of stacked his hands and went crack...and my ass went pffft. :sick: Thought to myself if i was at the range that would of been a DQ. (accidental discharge :goof: ) I didn't mean to fart on the chipacracker, it just kind of happened. You just have to say to yourself sometimes things happen and you try not to do them again. Everybody had a good laugh :blush: and he said you arn't the first. So let it go and move on. I'd say shit happens, but it was a dry fart.

Edited by Vulture

I was at the chipacracker yesterday and he was rubbing on my back with his thumb trying to find whatever he was looking for. When he found it he kind of stacked his hands and went crack...and my ass went pffft. :sick: Thought to myself if i was at the range that would of been a DQ. (accidental discharge :goof: ) I didn't mean to fart on the chipacracker, it just kind of happened. You just have to say to yourself sometimes things happen and you try not to do them again. Everybody had a good laugh :blush: and he said you arn't the first. So let it go and move on. I'd say shit happens, but it was a dry fart.

:roflol:

My question is, would that be a DQ for ND/AD or unsportsman like conduct? :roflol:

Joe W.

• 10 months later...

I hear what your saying here but a DQ is still a major burden I have to deal with for a long time. In about 14 years of USPSA, I've had 3 and each time it happens I'm burdened with guilt and remorse. The first time was as a D shooter too nervous at the 1st stage of a major match after a year layoff and having an AD just after the buzzer. I don't remember the 2nd one but the 3rd one happened this last Sunday. This time I was relaxed and focused on shooting but the AD happened and I stopped, USCH. I spent a good deal of time repenting and regretting to the point of loosing sleep. I had stuck around to help RO, score and chat with some old friends but I could not hide the shame of this major AD over a berm. I might just have to take a break from this to come to terms-maybe even quit. Somehow endangering my fellow shooters or innocents is just too much of a burden I'm not sure I can live with.

If you ain't wreckin', you ain't racin'"

Jerry Miculek to me, after my Dairy Queen at the 2007 Nationals.

It sucked huge and still hurts but I'm a MUCH better competitor today because of it.

Jim

• 1 month later...

I look at that DQ thing and tell people go ahead and feel bad, mad and sad for about five minutes then get it together and go back to your squad and help. There was a guy on my squad at Area Three this year that had driven 400+ miles and DQ'd on I think it was target seven of the first stage of the first day. I know he was crushed but he stuck around, helped in any way he could and above all showed class and integrity all the way. That is the mark of a champion. There were a lot of good shooters at this event, but this man impressed me the most of any.

Edited by gunshrink

A big part of the DQ is how it happened. Was it because you screwed up mentally, or did the conditions screw you up? I have seen both. Shooter flat out broke the 180 going for a target he ran past. Shooter broke the 180 because they did not pull the gun in quick enough and caught it on a prop as they ran by. I also saw a shooter slip, flip, roll and slide and still keep the muzzle down range the entire time. I know many people that would have either dropped the gun or had it sweeping 360 degrees as they tumbled. He didn't DQ but I know he was kicking himself for running quicker than conditions allowed.

• 3 weeks later...