Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sit or Stand?

I have been sitting as I work a 550 for near 25 years, the whole concept of standing kind of eluded me until recently but it appears that some like to stand as they reload. Which do you prefer sitting or standing and why? Thanks, I am building a new bench real soon and considering a change.

earl

I sit on a bar stool with a back with my feet up on the shelf under the bench. I don't have my loader jacked up with a strong mount, and its just the right working height for me and I can see into the cases. The step stool on the bar stool puts the case feed in easy reach. The bench is kitchen counter height. Have a nice pedstal fan right there to keep it cool!

I can do both, I guess that make me ambi-something. I always said I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Standing is what I do 95% of the time. On my 550 I would find myself rocking side to side to observe various functions on the press. On the 650's I do not rock so much. Standing is my preferred method.

Fred

I have been sitting as I work a 550 for near 25 years, the whole concept of standing kind of eluded me until recently but it appears that some like to stand as they reload. Which do you prefer sitting or standing and why? Thanks, I am building a new bench real soon and considering a change.

earl

Standing is better. I thought sitting was good after doing it for years. I built a 47" bench and standing is faster and less tiring. Working on the press is easier as well.

Standing is the way I do it. Stools put me either too close to operate the handle or too far away to see everything the way I like to see it. Every time I get to feeling a little lazy I try the stool again. Within a few minutes I ditch it.

I always stand. I built my stand high enough so I didn't need a strong mount. I could sit on a stool, but I don't mind standing at all. I load 200 rounds, then take them to the family room to gauge them while watching TV, then back to load 200 more, so I get a decent break every 25-30 minutes and my rounds are all checked before putting them away.

I sit on a bar stool with a back with my feet up on the shelf under the bench. I don't have my loader jacked up with a strong mount, and its just the right working height for me and I can see into the cases. The step stool on the bar stool puts the case feed in easy reach. The bench is kitchen counter height. Have a nice pedstal fan right there to keep it cool!

+1 Pretty much the same here. I got a folding camp chair from Cabela's, it's pretty wide, has a little fold out table attached to the side. Position it right, and the farthest you hands have to move is to pull the arm down...Everything else is 6" away (I load on a 550 with no case or bullet feeder). I tried the standing thing, but it just seemed to make my back go tense after a couple of hundred rounds. I have a light directly above the press, which is angled to shine into the case at just about every stage, and the press is low enough that checking powder is almost a non issue, just second nature now. Once you have loaded a couple hundred rounds with a particular powder, you know about where the powder will be in the case, and can guage whether or not you have the right charge.

Coco, same setup that I have, but I think my bench is a little lower. :cheers:

I tried the standing thing, but it just seemed to make my back go tense after a couple of hundred rounds.

Standing requires the bench to be the right height. I'm 5'9" and mine is 47" . Sounds like you were bending over to work the press.

I tried the standing thing, but it just seemed to make my back go tense after a couple of hundred rounds.

Standing requires the bench to be the right height. I'm 5'9" and mine is 47" . Sounds like you were bending over to work the press.

You do see my nick name, right? :roflol:

I think my press is at 41"...

My bench height is 36 inches. I stand when loading. 1050 is flush to the bench (obviously) and the 550 is on a strong mount. When I load, I have a boxer's stance, so left foot forward and right foot behind. Left hand sets bullets and right hand works the handle. Tried doing it seated plenty of times and just not for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use a barstool that was too high. I'd get all crampy and have to take lots of breaks. That was before I found this forum. I recently relocated and rebuilt my bench. Got rid of the stool and found a chair that puts the top of the handle right at shoulder height for me. The difference is amazing.

I stand most of the day in my profession....moving around a lot as well. Getting to sit down and settle in to a hundred rounds in the evening is relaxing. Now if it would cool off a bit to get rid of the mosquitoes that keep invading my garage. :angry: