Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How fast is your press.

I can do 100-125 .38/.357's per HOUR with my Redding Model 25 turret press with separate seat and crimp. That assumes I start with the dies and measure set up, and, the cases fresh from the tumbler.

I have to charge in a loading block, though, since the Redding Model 25 is the older one that is angled. That design doesn't work very well with the Redding measure on the turret.

So, I decap/prime/size (with the semi-auto feeder) and then bell the case. In reality, I will do all of them and load them into blocks, charge all the blocks (with load sampling), and then proceed with seating and crimp. I work steadily, but not rapidly.

It points out the benefit of a progressive of some type. I'll keep the Redding for my rifle stuff, which is all low quantity. My handgun speed needs a boost. I wonder who could help me with that ????

Bob

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timed 100 the other day on my 550 without a case feeder and did it in 5min 20sec( :surprise: ). Normal pace including loading primer tubes is around 8 min/100. And I use the plain ball handle.

WOW smoking fast for a 550.

With my fully loaded 1050 I can do 100 every 8 minutes.

3 minutes per hundred is an average speed for me on my 1050 with Mr. Bullet Feeder. I'm now running prepped cases from my ammo guy (he's got a Camdex case prep machine now). Much smoother, no more broken primer punches (my bane).

~3 min per 100 of 38SC on my 650 with casefeeder, GSI Toolhead fed by a KISS bullet collator......I LIKE having a powder check!

Lee

Lee

Could you please explain how that system works. I'm not familiar with the GSI Toolhead and would like to use my KISS and have a powder check.

The math on a 5 min per 100 really isn't bad... assuming the primer magazine is ready:

5 minute per hundred is 20 per minute, right? That's 1 round per 5 seconds. I don't run the radio or TV, I don't talk on the phone... So I got 5 seconds to stroke the handle, drop a bullet and look in the case. That's like waiting on a drop turner!

I like to take it easy. In two actual clock hours (Wait Wait Don't Tell Me + This American Life) I can fill primer tubes and load about 700-800 rounds on my 1050, and 400-500 on my 550.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who measures tasks by how many podcasts I can listen to.

I am happy to get 350-400/hr with my 550 manually loading cases and bullets. I only need to load 500/week to meet my needs for

practice and matches. Going faster, IMHO, is a recipe for disaster at a match. I have had to pull enough bullets with questionable

powder charges (low, high, or empty) to make me cautious and relatively slow with my reloading.

I agree with some of the others, I am in no hurry to reload... that's when mistakes happen, high primer here, high primer there... reloading isn't the part that takes all of the time in my opinion, it's case guaging every last cartridge that is a drag to me. I take my time with my SDB and pump out about 100 in 15 minutes or so... depends on my mood.

The math on a 5 min per 100 really isn't bad... assuming the primer magazine is ready:

5 minute per hundred is 20 per minute, right? That's 1 round per 5 seconds. I don't run the radio or TV, I don't talk on the phone... So I got 5 seconds to stroke the handle, drop a bullet and look in the case. That's like waiting on a drop turner!

That's one round/ 3 seconds. I'm glad you don't calculate your own HFs! LOL

That's one round/ 3 seconds. I'm glad you don't calculate your own HFs! LOL

Yep. Stupid fat fingers.... Its still a long time!

I always plan on running 400 per hour on an SDB but, you can do 500 if you hustle, and 600 if you push it a little.

I cut back to 400 per hour when loading 9 major with Silhouette to cut down on slinging powder. Can speed up a little with HS6 as it doesn't seem to spill as easily.

And, I almost always limit my reloading sessions to one hour. I'm ready for a break after an hour.

Press: Super 1050

Cartridge: 9mm Luger (4.9gr WSF so I have to be careful not to spill during indexing)

4 minutes 32 seconds

Projected rate: 1,333.33 rph

With 10 primer tubes already filled (just includes topping off primer magazine) I expect between 1,000 and 1,100 per hour.

Lee

Could you please explain how that system works. I'm not familiar with the GSI Toolhead and would like to use my KISS and have a powder check.

It will look something like this.

feeder1.jpg

The GSI tool head is a bullet feeder. Feeding and seating on #4 leaving the PC on #3 and crimp on #5. The reason for the KISS feeder is GSI came out with a bullet feeder before they had a collator. Even after they came out with a collator the only one I played with fed as many inverted bullets as it did base down.

3 minutes per hundred is an average speed for me on my 1050 with Mr. Bullet Feeder. I'm now running prepped cases from my ammo guy (he's got a Camdex case prep machine now). Much smoother, no more broken primer punches (my bane).

I break tho.se things all the time too.

On a 550 with out a casefeeder. Two basic speeds.

If I am tired from physical labor. 100 rds in 10 mins.

If I am fresh and willing to move a little faster 100 rds in 8mins

I can do a sub 8 min time if I want to hurry. I don't consider either rushing. It's just a matter of being in a grove and doing the same thing over and over and over. Setup also matters. I knocked my time down by changing my setup to a standing only setup. Honestly. 10 mins per hundred is slow. I also seat the bullet in station 2 not station 3. I think it's a little faster and safer.