Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switched to Limited Minor!

I got bored and burned out shooting Production after 16-18 months of 1-3 matches per WEEK.. Honestly, I wanted a boost in the level of competition, because I'd stopped improving shooting in Production Div. I don't have the funds to go with a S_I style Limited gun, so I slapped an Arredondo +5 extension on one of my M&P mags (factory spring), and decided to go play Limited (Minor) for a few weeks.

The "Thing I Noticed"?

I'm shooting HIGHER in the "overall" scoring shooting Limited than I was when shooting Production...

Why?

1) Crappy missed reloads were costing me time. Now I can reload once, where I WANT to, not where I HAVE to.

2) Shooting against better shooters is making ME better. Same as when I played competitive golf, and basketball.

3) Shooting Minor doesn't hurt you much... as long as you're shooting Alphas fast!

4) Rob Leatham's "goofy" advice works... Paraphrasing: "DON'T shoot sloppy, and DON'T shoot slowly." You don't have to be super-precise, nor super-fast... Even shooting minor...

The M and GM Limited shooters are STILL beating me... but (at B-Class Production) I'm holding my own against the As and Bs in Limited, who are all shooting 2011s worth twice what my M&P is!

Feels good...

Jeff

Hi JeffWard, I have shot with you many times. I usually shoot single stack. Many times I shoot single stack in minor, or I will shoot single stack in limited or minor in limited ten. I just like the competition. I shot a classifier match this weekend with a revolver. I won't be shooting that anytime soon. Any time I am pulling the trigger I am having a good time but that was work. There are a lot of minor shooters in limited because it is cheaper and makes you shoot all A's. Keep it up. Bshooter

Who else is shooting Limited Minor?

Jeff

I shoot Limited minor at our local matches and even classified Master doing it.

Here is what I have noticed:

1. It is a lot of fun and it is cheaper than Major. I often recommend that new shooters take advantage of the fewer mag changes so they can concentrate on the shooting and maneuvering through the course.

2. At local matches, unless there are tons of M's and GM's, you can overcome the Pf disadvantage sometimes.

3. It does push you to shoot harder to make up for the scoring difference. I don't think that I shoot Minor faster than Major so I really have to do all of the other things perfectly to get a win.

4. I don't ever plan to shoot Minor at a Major Match though. There is just too much competition to overcome the PF disadvantage.

5. It takes some of the pressure off because knowing there is a disadvantage makes me think that I am not supposed to win so I shoot for the fun of it. If I do get a win then it is a sweeter victory.

I have thought quite a bit about how much of a disadvantage the minor scoring is and "my math" says about 6%. This is based on a 2A to 1C ratio with the times being the same. If you figure it at all A's and all C's the percentage is 0% to 20%.

I think that what you said about having fun is the most important factor though. We somtimes forget that when we are trying hard to improve or win a match.

Holy smoke I just did it backwards Saturday and had a great time shooting Production, with my CZ Shadow. First time out I won production division and beat everything in the match except open and one single stack, ok 7th out of 25, all the limited saw my tail lights. It was fun, not bad for a C class (well actually I got bumped to C because I made B in Limited 10, I was actually a D ).

Shooting Open, Limited, Lim 10, Production and a dose of Single Stack I can say they are all fun and when you get down to it you shoot at about the same level in each class. I finish Open higher, but then you have to shoot open 10% faster than Production or Limited to be the same skill level, so you are really not doing better just higher up the list. Just move to open you will climb a few more spots. I finished 16th of 75 Sunday shooting Open and lots of GM's, M's, in the match, hightest production shooter was 22nd.

Jeff

I've been shooting Limited Minor for years - I have a

Browning Hi=Power 9mm, which I love, and shoot it

as Limited.

I'd much rather have an STI .40, but NYS laws concerning

hi-cap mags are such that I can have BHP mags, since I've

owned the gun for 45 years, and the mags for more than

15 years, but I can't buy hi-cap mags that are new.

I'm only a C Limited shooter, so it doesn't hurt me too

much - but I'm getting better, and I still think I can

become a B Limited shooter shooting minor - but, we'll

see.

Jeff

I shoot it once in a while with my 92FS. As simple as loading mags to capacity vs. 10 rds. Love it! Really allows the shooter to really take advantage of the doublestack pistols.

I believe IPSC Production rules are 15 rounds....

Jeff wrote:

Me!

I shot a "local" match yesterday (about a 2 hour drive away actually).

In the combined overall and UNofficial results, I ended up 17th out of 64 people.

What I noticed just doing a quick glance over the results is that on two of the stages I had a mike each. That cost me 10 points right there, twice! So it wouldn't have mattered if I shot major or minor...a mike hurts just as much...err... the same...

argghh.... :angry2:

I wish I knew what it was like to actually run Limited with a limited gun. I'm stuck in L-10 minor b/c my magazines nosedive after 11 round in them (Tanfoglio 9mm limited) common issue, but very annoying! Good thing I am very fast at reloads. I guess I need to get another gun ; )

I love shooting minor at local club matches, and I have been doing really well on the classifiers. Being very new to USPSA (6 total matches) I didn't know much about the pf till after I had bought my gun.

Minor sucks.

:roflol:

Yeah, there is nothing worse than landing a hit a quarter inch to the left of the A-zone and then another a quarter in to the right of the A-zone. (Or, as Bob Uecker might say, "juuuust a bit outside."). ...Zap, 60% of the available points. Not to mention those No-penalty-mikes (Deltas).

However, shooting Minor can be a great training aide to help you really tune in to hitting your Alphas.

However, shooting Minor can be a great training aide to help you really tune in to hitting your Alphas.

Absolutely...that's why I like to keep my hand in Production and SS (while I can shoot SS Major, it's like Virginia Count every stage). Both place a premium on accuracy and fundamentals. :cheers:

In my case, I was shooting too many Alpha's and my squadmates were telling me to speed up...SPEED UP!

My then acting MD/SC who has an 18,000 something member number put the bug in my ear, "You're shooting so many alphas, you might as well shoot minor."

Hmmn...

I am my own worst enemy at this stuff...too many mikes and/or no shoots....that chips away faster at a HF quicker than shooting minor.

No-penalty-mikes (Deltas)

this^^^

I love shooting minor at local club matches, and I have been doing really well on the classifiers. Being very new to USPSA (6 total matches) I didn't know much about the pf till after I had bought my gun.

yeah for some reason you always seem to learn something important after the money is spent and the product is purchased.

Edited by Field

1) Crappy missed reloads were costing me time. Now I can reload once, where I WANT to, not where I HAVE to.

i thought one point of production was to get better at reloads.

Edited by Field

• 4 months later...

I got bored and burned out shooting Production after 16-18 months of 1-3 matches per WEEK.. Honestly, I wanted a boost in the level of competition, because I'd stopped improving shooting in Production Div. I don't have the funds to go with a S_I style Limited gun, so I slapped an Arredondo +5 extension on one of my M&P mags (factory spring), and decided to go play Limited (Minor) for a few weeks.

The "Thing I Noticed"?

I'm shooting HIGHER in the "overall" scoring shooting Limited than I was when shooting Production...

Why?

2) Shooting against better shooters is making ME better. Same as when I played competitive golf, and basketball.

3) Shooting Minor doesn't hurt you much... as long as you're shooting Alphas fast!

4) Rob Leatham's "goofy" advice works... Paraphrasing: "DON'T shoot sloppy, and DON'T shoot slowly." You don't have to be super-precise, nor super-fast... Even shooting minor...

The M and GM Limited shooters are STILL beating me... but (at B-Class Production) I'm holding my own against the As and Bs in Limited, who are all shooting 2011s worth twice what my M&P is!

Feels good...

Jeff

Shooting is 95% about the shooter and 5% about the gun. Until a person reaches the top levels of shooting the gun is just personel choice. Suround yourself with shooters that are better than you and if you pay attention you will soon be better than some or most of them..........

I'm limited minor for now as well while waiting for new gun. My goal was to get into HIGH gear in 2011. I've only shot one match this year, but I brought the heat. My accuracy was sloppy, but it was all about changing gears for me, and it is working sofar. 3gun next weekend, will experiment with a better "balance" of dvc.

Shooting is 95% about the shooter and 5% about the gun. Until a person reaches the top levels of shooting the gun is just personel choice. Suround yourself with shooters that are better than you and if you pay attention you will soon be better than some or most of them..........

As a Tanfoglio runner with some feed issues I will agree this is the case AS LONG as the equipment runs well. After a year of stage after stage of loosing time to feed issues I switched to a "lesser" gun and and my performance increased because I could focus on the game and not the gun.

I shot a GLOCK 17 in Limited Minor for over a year before switching to Open (and now back to Limited Major). The obvious negative is the point penalty for non-Alphas so I focused on points and it made me a better shooter. Using Arredondo base pads, I was able to get 23 rounds in a mag- which helped on some stages (particularly those 18-21 round stages with tight shots or steel). I was able to win Limited in more than one local match shooting minor.

When switching from Poduction to Limited minor how well do you perform on classifiers? Better or worse?

I noticed actually better match percentage in limited minor but lower percentage on classifiers in my few tries.

Eric