Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprises' Rocky Mountain 3-Gun 2011

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel so old and tired. Got a lot done, but so much more to do. I'm not the only one who made these stages evil!! Don't forget your knee pads and elbow pads. JJ has lots of "shoot from near this rock" so unless you can shoot off hand 400 yards, you're going to be crawling around in the dirt and rocks and cactus. I tried to clear the cactus for you, but it bit me and I swear it multiplied when I turned my back!

Seriously, I think it looks like you'll have fun. (Happy emoticon here, but I son't know how to do it on JJ's phone.)

Last minute work at home and then back to Raton for something like 10 days.

see you soon!

One tired, sore, bruised, sunburned and cactus'd Denise

Maybe a stupid question but are squads posted?

Thanks

T

Denise gets a little distracted this time of year. Make sure to ask her 4-5 times a day. I'm sure she'll be happy to tell you.

:devil:

Denise gets a little distracted this time of year. Make sure to ask her 4-5 times a day. I'm sure she'll be happy to tell you.

:devil:

This time of year? :devil:

Normally I just lurk, but couldn't resist.

Junior

sight in area yardage ? Bring my own target ? Wednesday is an area available to sight in to 600 yards?

There is a sight in range out to 600, but you just have the steel animals provided. No running all the way down there with paper!

Bring your own target for out to 200 yards, and then steel animals from there!

See you soon!

Denise

sight in area yardage ? Bring my own target ? Wednesday is an area available to sight in to 600 yards?

There is a sight in range out to 600, but you just have the steel animals provided. No running all the way down there with paper!

Bring your own target for out to 200 yards, and then steel animals from there!

See you soon!

Denise

When I sighted in last year I just shot at the heads of the animals, gave a reasonable sized target to hit. The bodies are kind of big to figure out how far off the impact is. Big difference in ballistics at 6600ft.

Doug

For all of the new shooters who are going to Raton for the first time this is very imprtant.

If you have never moved up in elevation to 2-3-4000 feet over what you shoot back home . . . zero when you gett there!!!!!

last year the only thing I got right at the match was that on Wendsday i re established my 250 yard zero.

I got the 500 & 600 yard shots with relitve ease. ( I think what did it, was the fact that our squad re zeroed in the rain on Wend and shot the long range stages in the rain on thursday)

they do have the animals out there on the sight in range but bring a few paper targets and a spoting scope . . . . or a range finder,

just a cople of minutes on Wen will save your sanity and scores on thursday

Denise: in post 186 you mentioned we need a rifle sling, just like the past years. how about a shotgun sling? needed or absolutely not needed in any stage?

Shotgun sling is not required! Maybe next year...

You will need a rifle sling twice, so don't forget it!

Did I mention you need kneepads and elbowpads? :devil:

It's not as bad as I described. Half the Cactus at Whittington are in my hands and knees already!

:blink:

See you all soon!

Denise

Big difference in ballistics at 6600ft.

Doug

Oh man! How big?

at 500 yards my tables show from 1000ft .El to 6,600 ft El. the bullet hits 1.1 MOA higher

at 600 its all most 2 min

but at 400 it is only 1/2 min dif

But, what are you doing with grains of water per pound of air...

Big difference in ballistics at 6600ft.

Doug

Oh man! How big?

at 500 yards my tables show from 1000ft .El to 6,600 ft El. the bullet hits 1.1 MOA higher

at 600 its all most 2 min

but at 400 it is only 1/2 min diff

But, what are you doing with grains of water per pound of air...

its a program called Al_Bal

Its with just an elevation change (Air Density) approximation 0.0739lb.ft.^3 (96.7%of Sea Level -- to-- 0.0596 lb.ft.^3 (77.9% of Sea Level at 6600 elevation the flaw is in that I have the temp the same at 1000 and at 6600 and the Bar. Pressure the same 29.92 at both 1000 ft El and at 6600 ft El

I have the Horus ATragMX PDA to use at the event it will let me use the Elevation or Temperature - Barometric Pressure -Relative Humidity to get the bullet drop Its a pocket PC that Horus put on the prize table at Blue Ridge Mountain event. And yes I did send a Thank you note

My brain is floating with all the new information, learning ranging with the Vortex 5-20 Mill Dot and learning the PDA

I am going to take the Razor 5-20 to use for spotting if you guys want to check it out.

Last year I shot the Swaro 1-6 circle dot and was using a 300 yard zero, holding at 6 O'Clock and found that I was shooting under some of the close targets because I reset my 300 yd zero but had not rechecked my holds at less than 300 yards. This year I'm using the 1-6 BRT with a 175 yard zero that puts the POI within the dot from 50 to 225 yards. 1 mil hash marks for holds past 225. Now if I can just remember what they are. Pulling out Thursday morning for Raton, should be able to find some time to shoot at the metal animals.

Doug

Is there any need for shot "stronger" than birdshot at this match? Are there any mgm spinners or other targets where buckshot would be helpful? I noticed that the rules say the targets are calibrated for 7 1/2 shot, but I'd like to confirm. Thanks!

if you didn't believe JJ or Denise before, what makes us think you will believe them now? sheesh!

It's not as bad as I described. Half the Cactus at Whittington are in my hands and knees already!

I just gotta ask where JJ had you putting targets if you were crawling around on your hands and knees in cactus....come to think of it, maybe I don't want to know???

Edited by sbmd

I just gotta ask where JJ had you putting targets if you were crawling around on your hands and knees in cactus....come to think of it, maybe I don't want to know???

Lol! I was thinking the same thing Larry. Somebody should have been setting stages instead of fooling around. Adda boy JJ!!!

Oh Good Grief! Minds in the gutter much???? :surprise:

Well, we're heading down to Raton for the duration, so access to e-mail can sometimes be spotty...

Be patient!

We'll see you all soon! Think we have some great things lined up for you!!!

Don't forget the Trijicon Shooter's BBQ/Junior Benefit - We have over $7500 worth of doorprizes!

We have the AR15Targets Challenge Shoot-Offs! Challenge your friends in the shoot-off format with your own guns!

Saturday, we'll have the 1st Annual ERGO GRIPS Junior Shoot-Off, so Juniors - Bring extra ammo, you may need it. :cheers:

Magnet your ammo before you bring it! We will be! :wacko:

Check out our website for our over 100 sponsors for your last minute gun related needs! They support 3-Gun, so please support them! They have been most generous!

Bring fluids, sunscreen, hat, rifle sling, lots of ammo, and as JJ says...your A game!

Off to finish the stages...hmm...comments make me feel....evil....think I'll make stages more fun.... :devil:

Denise

Edited by Benelli Chick