Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Afraid

jamautry

I have noticed as I have restarted shooting I am shooting afraid. That is I am going slow and cautious, much more than necessary, because I am afraid to crash and burn. The first stage is the worst then it gets better, but by then I have dug such a deep hole its almost impossible to get out. I know the ultimate cure is confidence through practice. I am getting back to dry firing and live fire practice but does anyone have any ideas how to push through this faster? Thanks.

I have noticed as I have restarted shooting I am shooting afraid. That is I am going slow and cautious, much more than necessary, because I am afraid to crash and burn. The first stage is the worst then it gets better, but by then I have dug such a deep hole its almost impossible to get out. I know the ultimate cure is confidence through practice. I am getting back to dry firing and live fire practice but does anyone have any ideas how to push through this faster? Thanks.

You have taken the first step, recognizing the problem, performance anxiety. Here is a link to an article on Gray Guns that could help:

http://grayguns.com/competitive-mindset-and-affirmative-decisions/

I read it from time to time to get my "mental game" back on track.

I'm a lowly B so take it for what it's worth...

Once in a while I shoot a stage intentionally too fast and crash and burn. By crash and burn I don't mean "be unsafe", I mean I end up with a mike or two or a no shoot. I think once in a while I have to push it or I end up settling in at a pace that's too comfortable. I don't go out of my way to miss or anything, I just try and shoot as fast I possibly can.

I shoot a weekly league, some weekend matches and one to three big matches a year. I really don't feel that bad about tanking a stage a few times a year at a weekly league match. It's not like I am going to really win anything anyway.

Your comment about gaining confidence through practice is gold too, but if you never push yourself in matches...

Man I can relate. I read some of your other posts. Like you, I came back to shooting after an extended lay-off (mine was over 15 years) Though I didn't shoot USPSA I had achieved a bit of skill in PPC and Bullseye but when I started competitive shooting again I was attracted to the speed and accuracy of this sport.

My biggest hurdle was getting over myself. In that I mean I would have shot with the best in both of my previous disciplines but in this I was a rank beginner. My biggest fears were of making a damn fool of myself. The whole fish out of water thing. Once I made the mental shift that I had to learn this again I relaxed and started focusing on the task at hand. Granted, I had the support of a great mentor - Repete Briggs - that has been nothing but encouraging and supportive. But now I am starting to make the strides that I want to see. OK, I won't be getting my M back soon but every match, every practice session I see glimmers of what I need to do.

My suggestion, focus on the fun, forget what you 'used to do' and measure your progress from where you are. My bet is you won't crash and burn - maybe toast a stage or two - but that is half the fun of improving.

"Trust"! Trust what you see is what you need to see to make/call the shot! No more no less! Learn what you need to see in practice and at the match "Trust" what you learned from your practice and just let it happen don't force anything!

Crashing and Burning leaves no scabs in shooting. Rock and Roll and shoot a couple of matches at warp speed and just feel it.......tongue.gif

After you shoot as fast as you can a few stages you start seeing a lot more and missing a lot less.

Then slow down a notch and see where you are accuracy wise...

Great info, thanks guys. I think a lot has to do that guys I could routinely beat 3 years ago I can't really touch anymore due to my lay off. So I am putting additional stress on myself to not lose the match on the first stage but in doing so shoot it so slow I effectively lose the match on the first few stages. I really need to work on just shooting the shot and completely forget about results.

guys I could routinely beat 3 years ago I can't really touch anymore due to my lay off.

They were practicing and shooting while you were away [presuming you weren't]. You have to expect they have improved. Make it your goal to hang w/ them, but don't expect it. Shoot your game.

-rvb

I really need to work on just shooting the shot and completely forget about results.

You already know the answer. Just shoot the match.

Or rather, shoot the shot. Then shoot the next shot. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The results will end up wherever they end up. You might be ahead of the guys you beat three years ago. You might be behind the guys you beat three years ago. Figure that out later (if it really matters).

You already know what you need to do. Plus dry practice. :D

Great info, thanks guys. I think a lot has to do that guys I could routinely beat 3 years ago I can't really touch anymore due to my lay off. So I am putting additional stress on myself to not lose the match on the first stage but in doing so shoot it so slow I effectively lose the match on the first few stages. I really need to work on just shooting the shot and completely forget about results.

Shoot your game and stop worrying about how others are shooting!;)

I know this isn't easy. I always shot my best when I was able to not care about anything at all. Not points, nor time, nor placement. Just get into the shooting without caring about it.

be

You have taken the first step, recognizing the problem, performance anxiety. Here is a link to an article on Gray Guns that could help:

http://grayguns.com/competitive-mindset-and-affirmative-decisions/

I read it from time to time to get my "mental game" back on track.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

I know this isn't easy. I always shot my best when I was able to not care about anything at all. Not points, nor time, nor placement. Just get into the shooting without caring about it.

be

Being an "observer" when shooting always produce the best results for me. If I care at all about what I'm doing, then it takes away from doing, and performance suffers.

If you watch Travis T. shoot the 3 reload 3 reload 3 in just over 3 seconds during the last show of 3-Gun Nation, if you look into his eyes, they are totally empty and devoid of emotion, he is just doing what he has trained to do and he makes an amazingly difficult feat look incredibly easy.

If you don't trust your ability (whatever level it is) you will have a very difficult time performing to your abilities come match day.

James, I am seeing this from the other side. Before you left, you would smoke me with a wrist rocket and a bag of marbles. Now when I watch you shoot a stage I wonder if the aliens will bring James back. I know that with a little practice we will see you reemerge as an incredibly phast trigger puller. :bow:

If you end up spending some time up in my area, lets go out and play for a while. There is no doubt in my mind that you will be back in form in no time at all.

Remember to have fun.

Bill

Remember to have fun! The last thing I do when I say "shooter ready" and am waiting for the "beep", is to smile. When I quit having fun doing this I quit! I'd be willing to bet your problem goes away after you've shot some more matches.