Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are You A Certified USPSA Range Officer?

Are you an RO or not and how long have you been a member of USPSA?

Should we assume that every member, after a certain amount of time, should "give back to the sport" and therefore assume and actively practice the responsibilities of Range Officer.

Is everyone you shoot with capable of performing these functions?

I joined USPSA in 1999... Practiced for a while because I didn't think I was ready for a "real" club match. I shot my first club match in Jan. 2000. Became an RO in Aug. 2000. ;)

A lot of the people I shoot with are also RO's and don't shy away from RO'ing. The one's that I can think of that aren't RO's are still new to the sport and getting settled in.

I would have been an RO much sooner but for the lack of an available class. In my club there is but one CRO and 3 ROs. Everyone else wants to "RO" but haven't been near the class. Some do a good job, others are scary.

Just waiting for the clock to wind down so I can start my CRO-by-mail course.

Our section is hosting an RO seminar, but have postponed it due to the new rulebook. As soon as it is rescheduled, I am signing up. I care nothing about being an RO at a major match. I am a competitor, first and foremost. But I don't mind RO'ing at the club level ever now and then. Plus, learning the rulebook better would only help your shooting I would think.

The club I started with held an RO class shortly after I began shooting with USPSA in 2002. At the time it seemed like the right thing to do. After 18 months it seems pretty obvious all shooters should take the level 1 RO course. Somebody has to take the timer when the RO in your squad shoots, and, if we are all RO certified there would be less chance of an "us against them" attitude to develop. I suppose one could go to the local range, pay the match fees, not RO, not set up, not tear down, shoot and scoot. I've done it on more than one occasion. But more often than not I would rather be more involved. At this point I am a low C class shooter. ( Actually, I am a GM in a C class body for the time being) I'll shoot the bigger matches when I can be a little more competitive. Last Summer I was happy to have a chance to work the FGN as an RO. It was great to see how little difference there actually is between a C class and GM class shooter, and I learned a lot about our sport. I may work one more Nationals before I start shooting them, we'll see how the Summer goes....... :D

I have been shooting IPSC since 92. I took the RO class 3 months after joining USPSA and remained a "Certified RO" for a few years. Back then there were record keeping requirements where you had to keep track of hours worked and what was done etc to keep your certified status. I was too busy working to keep up my logbook and let my certification lapse. I still RO constantly at local matches but I never intended to be a "big match" RO as I would rather compete. I have constantly remained involved as a worker and a club officer, in one or more clubs, for the entire time that I been shooting.

Leo

Been shooting since 93, never had me & an RO class in the same place at the same time. I do more than my share of timer-holding (hi Vince :) ).. And I'm still one of the go-to guys on rules questions at the club..

It's on my list to get certified-- that way I can go hang out in the cool-people bar at major matches.

Much like Leo and Shred, I'm not certified but I RO at every local match. If I'm going to a big match, I'm shooting. I'd like to take the class but we haven't had one locally to my knowledge and if I'm giving up a weekend and hotel costs, I'm going to do it at a match to shoot not to go to an RO class for something I already do.;

Leo, maybe we should see what it takes to get a local class. I'd like to take it, but not if I have to travel.

Guest Larry Cazes

I have been shooting local IPSC matches for about 1 year and would love to take the class and get certified but, alas, not one to be had in california. I am an NRA certified RSO, though.

I've been a USPSA member since 1994 but I'm not a certified USPSA Range Officer because I've never lived in the USA (been there +20 times though).

However I'm an IROA Range Master, so I can probably bluff my way through a USPSA match with the help of my secret decoder ring which doubles as a communication device to Arnie Christiansen and John Amidon B)

I voted, even if I'm not a USPSA member, because I feel the spirit of the poll is beyond US boundaries.

I'm active as competitor since 1998, and I'm actually NROI Italy certified RO.

Took an IROA seminar in 2001 with president Alexakos, and I am since then provisional IROA RO since I didn't have still earned 15 match points (don't have time to practice and shoot, let alone ROing).

I've been a USPSA member since 1994 but I'm not a certified USPSA Range Officer because I've never lived in the USA (been there +20 times though).

However I'm an IROA Range Master, so I can probably bluff my way through a USPSA match with the help of my secret decoder ring which doubles as a communication device to Arnie Christiansen and John Amidon  B)

Hey Vince,

USPSA NROI will recognize your IROA credentials just as my Canadian friends recognize my USPSA credentials. Well, it might help that I am an NROI Range Master and an IROA Range Master. B)

Looking forward to seeing you in Vegas, just contact me via the decoder ring on the afternoon of the 9th and the first beer is on me.

Arnie

Leo

They don't make you keep a log book any more. Just take the annual Review Exam is all it takes to stay current. [mine is sitting on my desk - :unsure: ]

Wes & I took the class from Joyce McCann about 1997 - she might be a good person to ask.

FWIW, I think the big benefit of ppl getting certified is: minimizing the amount of misinformation that can spread from lotsa people saying "I think..." week after week. Scoring and range commands improve - a lot.

I took my RO class in 1987, taught by Dave & Marilyn. I took my CRO class in 1989, taught by Andy Hollar. I have work a Nationals every year except for the 1990 Nationals which I shot. Now I am am both an NROI and IROA CRO. It is soooooo much fun to RO out of the US! :D

Current outlook:

Percentage of members who are RO certified:

Less then 3 years as members: 50%

Less than 6 years as members: 77%

More than 7 years as members: 88%

Consider your sample, though, dude. Chances are that this is a good representation of the HIGHLY-involved and skilled people on this board, but I'd put money on the tally being lower in the rest of the USPSA/IPSC world.

Wes & I took the class from Joyce McCann about 1997 - she might be a good person to ask.

I think there might be a bit of confusion here. To the best of my knowledge, Joyce McCann has never been an NROI Instructor - she cannot teach RO classes. I seem to recall teaching an RO class with John Hurst about that time, and it seems to me that we stayed at the McCanns, maybe that is what you are referring to.

Arnie

:lol:B)

i have been a ro for a few years and am certified iroa as a ro and have worked as a cro !!!!! i have worked 2 international level 3 matches and have been asked to return to both thiland and the pr for this year as a cro !!!!!!! now if i could just get out people from uspsa to send the paper work and assign me a mentor soon i would be certified as a cro here in the usa !!!!!! i plan to work both nationals this year as well as the area 4 as a ro if i cant get my cro stuff soon ??????? i cant say anything but good things about the experience i have had in the international areas and for sure i will work as many as they will have me !!!!!!!! as most will know i have gone to a glock 35 tricked out by CHARLIE VANIC with everything he does which if you have not had the chance to try you are missing a good thing !!!!!

1 1/2 lp trigger klm barrel reduced grip width and back strap, adjustibal sights with a u notck his own design and a fiber optic front 13 lp recoil spring, trigger stop

which means NO REAR TRAVEL AFTER SEAR BREAK 1/4 in reset, thinded triger bottom strap full length guide rod from ismi !!!!!! now if the shooter behind the gun could work the gun up to its potental i would be a champion !!!!! talk to matt mink and a few of his friends who also have a CHARLIE GUN that should make you want to go for the gold with what really works !!!!!!! i have over 12,000 rounds through this gun and have only replaced the recoil spring . all safteys still work and when charlie is done with your gun you get all your factory parts back with it !!!!! sincerely

gordon bierman

better known as SHOOTST

Had to look up my number for correct info. Joined ’92 and C/ROing since ’94.

The question was asked whether “we should give back to the sport”. An emphatic yes. We are a volunteer sport, without “us” there is no sport.

Joel

A21794