Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cure for "Glock Knuckle"?

ck1

Got a pretty bad case of Glock knuckle, never really used to get it, but I experimented with a Gen4 for 5000+rds and a bunch of dry-fire at the beginning of the summer and think the smaller SF grip I was running with it is what started it.

Since then it's kind of persisted (even after going back to Gen3 which fits/works better for me), and it's getting irritating as some days (like the day after a range day or a bunch of dry-fire practice) it's actually pretty painful and is messing up my grip...

If I get the trigger-guard on top of the callus all is well and like things once were, problem is that on the draw most of the time I end up crushing it into the side of the trigger-guard just making it worse... Any ideas?

Sounds dumb, I know, but it's screwing with my grip so anyone who has an idea on how to get rid of it I'd sure appreciate the help.

(for those that don't know what I'm talking about, "glock knuckle" is when you get a bump/callus between your knuckles on your strong-hand middle finger from rubbing under the trigger-guard... for some it's no big deal, for some it sucks.)

Don't know if it'd be Production-legal, but I have "dressed" that corner of the bottom of the trigger guard. That helps a bunch.

I would argue for its legality, because from a straight side-view, you can't tell that it's altered. It's only a corner and you're not modifying the grip for a "high grip" like so many do.

I really had to be very aggressive "dressing up" on one gun for a cop, because he not only had "Glock Knuckle" in the form of the callus, but also had rheumatoid arthritis in that hand.

post-2240-004849800 1281071249_thumb.jpg

post-2240-044850700 1281071259_thumb.jpg

post-2240-073383700 1281071269_thumb.jpg

I shot a 3 day Glock course, had no choice but to shoot Glocks. I use foam type band-aids. I wrap two around my middle finger to pad the knuckle. Other shooters mocked me on day one. By the end of day two, I had run out of band-aids from giving them out.

For my duty gun, I did a similar mod as above. Makes a world of difference.

Well, I'll be damned! I read this and thought WTF is this guy talking about. Held my hand up, and low and behold I've got a nice little hump starting. Who'da thunk it?

That reduction on the trigger guard is definitely a no-no in Production, fine for other Divisions.

Padding the finger helps a lot.

If the callous is already formed, it can be reduced by filing it flat using an emery board. It that's too metrosexual for you, then you can go at it with your Dremel and a sandpaper drum. ;)

Edited by kevin c

Ok... The sanding method isn't that crazy after all.

I got out a 180 grit 3M sanding block and small piece of grip-tape and set out on it going back and forth between the two...

Looking pretty good now and seems to be working a bit better. Sanded the callus down and made it smooth (ironically sorta like polishing up a trigger bar or connector) and now on the draw it doesn't seem to be getting caught up as much and is far less painful already.

I'm going to "polish" it up as needed to hopefully keep it from going back to being such a bump, and hopefully in time I'll be fixed up and "cured", a callus there is no big deal, but a bump gets painful crushed up against the trigger-guard over and over enough to where it interferes with my grip.

Thanks.

Just de Glock it is what I do. This cures a few things I don't care for :)

Yours still has the ridiculously small (stock) undercut that causes Glock Knuckle. The undercut needs to extend forward twice as far as the stock configuration. Some undercut jobs on 2011 are victim to the same problem, the undercut isn't big enough. Not the height for a high grip, but the undercut needs to extend forward so the entire middle knuckle fits into it.

The undercut (and inability to fix it under production rules) is a HUGE reason I don't own them any more. Bring on the M&P!!

I feel very fortunate that the Gen-3/4 finger grooves fit my hand perfectly. Really, it's eerie, it's like they used my hand for a pattern. Having said that, there's no doubt in my mind the Gen-2 sans finger grooves was the best feeling Glock grip ever.

Don't know if it'd be Production-legal, but I have "dressed" that corner of the bottom of the trigger guard. That helps a bunch.

I would argue for its legality, because from a straight side-view, you can't tell that it's altered. It's only a corner and you're not modifying the grip for a "high grip" like so many do.

I really had to be very aggressive "dressing up" on one gun for a cop, because he not only had "Glock Knuckle" in the form of the callus, but also had rheumatoid arthritis in that hand.

Can't be production legal it is a external change to the grip frame other than stippling. The production rules are now quite clear on what can be done on the outside of the gun. Sights stippling and nothing else. Welcome to Open Class.

I got my 'knuckle long before i was shooting guns hehehe I started mine from long hours of feeding quarters into a videogame called Defender at a local pizza parlor(this was waaaaay before PS2 or 3 or the others) the better you got atthe game, the worse your fingers looked hehehe kinda like looking for the MMA guys in a crowd by their ears????

then i got into competitive shooting and it just persisted, I live with it...no filing or (yeesh) dremeling for me...

I wrap a 1/4" wide plaster around my knuckle, helps the area to be insensitive to pain. I wind the plaster 2x around so it will be thick enough and wont walk. But in dry fire where execution is done repeatedly many times, the plaster walks a bit so I knead it back to position from time to time.

Edited by BoyGlock