Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In today's economy is it really worth getting into reloading when

not all people reload just to save money. more accurate loads can be made at home than you can buy at the factory. also, a lot of calibers arent readily available as factory ammo, thus the need for reloading there as well. Its all up to you and what you are shooting and how much?

(plus reloading is another hobby for me:))

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're in my neck of the woods. You can grab me almost any weekend at RRGC and we can talk reloading for 9mm.

If you have the time, you can come see my setup (a Dillon SDB - not too pricey). You can even use it to start off with.

Kevin

Edited by kevin c

I think everyone else covered everything. I do it because the off the shelf loads are way too hot for Cowboy Action shooting. I shoot 45Colt in my pistols and my lever action Rifle, and keep my loads light as to stay on target. Plus, Cowboy Action targets are pretty close. Actually, sometimes they're too close for me to really enjoy it. All depends who sets up the stage.

Reloading helps me keep my loads light and I enjoy just sittin down and doin up a couple hundred rounds.

I was in your same shoes about 5 years ago. I had purchased 2 XD's and was wanting to shoot more often and was looking for better deals on ammo. At the time the best price on ammo I could find was at the local gun shows so I'd buy 1-2k at a time to stock up. After lurking here for a while I ended up talking my wife into letting me buy a 550B from Dillon. I bought this particular model because it seemed to be the best quality for the $$ and something that I wouldn't end up regretting later down the road.

What I found was this - I ended up spending about the same on ammo that I was before the purchase BUT I was shooting a lot more. I was able to experiment with loads which turned out to be great fun as well. My shooting skills improved just because I was shooting more and my knowledge of the sport increased because now I wasn't just the new guy at the range/match - I had something in common to talk about with the old timers.

Over time reloading has become as important a hobby to me as the shooting itself. Sometimes it can be frustrating but it just makes it that much more worthwhile when you figure it out. As an avid DIY handyman type, I take great pride in anything I can do myself...

To show you how important reloading actually is to shooters (and forum members HERE), just check out the-mother-of-all-topic-threads here that goes something like "...show us your working bench..." (in The Gallery) which is a comprehensive study of our membership's elaborate setups for reloading (LOTS of photos!!!).

Some members have made considerable investments in a variety of reloading options, but it doesn't have to be that expensive to start. A modest setup will begin your reloading efforts and you'll likely save money and enjoy those legendary customized loads.

Reloading also gave me an additional dimension of potential conversation with other shooters, too. B) In fact, early on, my fellow shooters--both here in Oregon and on this forum--openly encouraged me to start reloading and had the generosity to donate little bits of equipment, brass, and the like. There was a LOT of support. I've been reloading .45ACP ever since and have saved COUNTLESS dollars in doing so.

Oh, and if it's a DILLON press you acquire, expect terrific customer service from them!

One thing I would suggest when you start loading your own ammo, have an experienced reloader help you set your stuff up and guide you through your first few realoading sessions and then check some of your later loaded ammo as well. Help from a fellow shooter can go a long way to help a newbie out.

Joe W.

If you do any serious shooting at all--whether competition (of one kind or another) or lots of practice for personal protection skills--there's almost no argument against reloading.

Yes. Not only that, but you will not really be competitive in most all shooting sports without handloaded ammo.

I differ, you can be competitive in uspsa not reloading.

Just recently got into reloading. I calculated for every 1000 bullets loaded it saves me a little over 200 dollars (that is using all used brass). Since I started reloading I been shooting 250 rounds a week (actually weekends). When I was buying the bullets usually no more than 100 a week. So in my opinion I think it's worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

As has been mentioned, the economics of reloading are complex, particularly if you're just getting involved in our pastime. Probably best to be sure of where you're headed before you invest heavily in reloading equipment......I like the idea expressed in earlier posts of buying a single-stage kit and testing the waters.

However, as has also been said, there are many considerations apart from saving money:

1. Some folks just like to reload; just like some like to golf, climb mountains, jump out of airplanes with a glorified handkerchief strapped to their backs.

2. The ability to tailor loads that just aren't available commercially is also a very big consideration to some folks.

3. Like the shooting end, there's the social aspect. You meet people with common interests, although the act of reloading itself may be somewhat solitary.

4. This is probably not a big one, but reloading also helps in conserving resources (admittedly mostly in the area of brass or shotgun hulls), but conserve it does.

At my age, 44 years since I bought a MEC 600 jr. and started loading 20 ga., i't just a habit I can't break. I load rifle, pistol, and shotgun, and the idea of buying commercial ammo is just too painful to be borne.

What do you guys think about getting into reloading JUST for the money savings? I hang out on a woodworking forum a lot (another hobby) and there some shooters there and I asked about reloading in the off topic forum. I think it came up that I was considering getting into reloading for the money savings, and most said that that's a very wrong reason to get into the hobby. Or something to that effect. Maybe that you wouldn't be happy doing it, or something like that. That being said, that $9.50/50 box of Federal at WalMart makes it hard to justify the cost of the initial equipment (at least for that one caliber.)

Edited by heckofagator

What do you guys think about getting into reloading JUST for the money savings? I hang out on a woodworking forum a lot (another hobby) and there some shooters there and I asked about reloading in the off topic forum. I think it came up that I was considering getting into reloading for the money savings, and most said that that's a very wrong reason to get into the hobby. Or something to that effect. Maybe that you wouldn't be happy doing it, or something like that. That being said, that $9.50/50 box of Federal at WalMart makes it hard to justify the cost of the initial equipment (at least for that one caliber.)

Walmarts in the bay area here in CA don't carry ammo at all. They barely sell hoppes solvent lol

Newbie here; found my Dillon Square Deal B on eBay and the 550 from a friend of a friend a few weeks later. Decent deals on both so I ended up keeping both; SDB will be what I load 9mm on and the 550 for the 40. The key really is letting those around you know you're looking for a press. There seems to be people coming and going all the time so solicit some help then try to be patient.

Loading my own will certainly help me manage cost but the bigger benefit (IMO) is that I can tailor the load to something I like. When I first started shooting I didn't realize there was (or could be) such a difference between factory and hand loaded rounds. The difference can be quite dramatic so if you think it's what you want to do, try a few rounds from those around you, find what you like and use that as your starting point. I still have much to learn but personally, I am VERY glad I made the decision to reload and now can't imagine shooting factory ammo.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

If you can pick up range brass for nothing then you should be reloading. Looking at the relatively low cost of factory 9mm ammo I'm not surprised that you don't immediately see the economic advantage. #1 after you figure out a load that works for, buy bullets at least 1000 rounds at a time. Add the price of 1000 bullets, 1000 primers and the powder and it's definitely cheaper. Since we are talking about handgun get a progressive press. Buy a Dillon square deal B or if you are really pressed for cash a Lee 1000.

I think reloading is worth it even IF you're a not-so-frequent shooter. Once you establish your setup (and it doesn't have to cost a fortune), it really pays to reload certain calibers... plus the comfort of custom loads, as some here mentioned. Plus, reloading is a nice pastime and is part of the empowerment of shooting itself.

+1 Good stuff Siggy!

be

Reloading for me has been a great investment, I spent quite a penny on my setup, and I'm not shooting competition YET! But what they are selling on the shelves in stores I can make and taylor to all my weapons. Depending on how much you shoot it can help save money but the key is to buy component in bulk like others have posted. Once you get into reloading like I have it has expanded the ability to shoot more and that's what I expected and wanted when I started to load. Its now become a hobby and an addiction that I enjoy! When I 1st joind this site I have not started reloading, but man the people in the forums wasn't playing when they said welcome to an addiction!! Thanks fellas!

I was thinking about reloading my own ammo but was wondering if it is truly worth it in today's economy. I live in Cali and I have tried looking for used presses but can't seem to find any for sale. I also don't really know where to look. Is it worth getting a press, bullets, casings, primers, powder and start reloading my own ammo? Some people say yes it is and some say no it isn't so I'm not sure. I have currently gotten once fired reloads from the local gun show but for me its pretty expensive because it's like $200 for 1000 rounds but they are decent reloads, never had a problem with them and thats the cheapest anywhere.

I shoot a springfield xd9 5" barrel. I am 5 min away from my local range and 45 min plus bridge toll away from a decent gun store. Living in the bay area makes it hard to buy ammo and supplies. Whats a good beginner press?

If you're paying $10/box of 9mm ammo, and you like it,

it's not worth spending $500 for reloading equipment.

BUT, the value is in customizing the ammo to YOUR gun -

getting just the right PF, and making it as accurate

and soft shooting as possible.

I'm still experimenting - right now using W231 and

147 gr MG bullets, and they are more accurate and

easier to shoot rapidly than any factory ammo I've found.

See if your "reloader" will work with you on this -

ask him for heavier bullets and try them out, and ask

for the velocity of his reloads - see if they're just

the right speed to make a PF of about 130 -135. If they're

too low, they won't work in IPSC and if they're too hot,

they could be modified down a bit and be easier to shoot.

Good luck. Just my 2cents worth.

Jack

The variable costs (bullets, powder, primers) are where you save money.

Even buying new cases generally works out as less expensive as all but the cheap stuff.

The question is whether the pleasure you get out of reloading and knowing that you have developed your own load for your gun will cover the fixed costs of the equipment.

I made up an Excel spreadsheet a few months ago where I compared costs of good ammunition, cheap ammunition, and reloading with good components.

.38 Special 148gn Wadcutter

S&B 148gn L-HBWC $360/1000 36¢/round

Remington virgin brass $302.99/2000 15¢/case

Remington 148gn L-HBWC $114.99/2000 6¢/bullet

Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primer $30.49/1000 3¢/primer

Winchester 231 powder (2.9gn powder) $131.99/8lb 0.71¢/round

Total per virgin round reloaded 24.7¢/round

Total with used brass 10¢/round

9mm Luger 115gn JHP

American Eagle 115gn JHP $289/1000 29¢/round

Brown Bear (steel case) 115gn JHP $94.95/500 19¢/round

Starline virgin brass 129.99/1000 13¢/case

Remington 115gn JHP $191.99/2000 10¢/bullet

Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primer $30.49/1000 3¢/primer

Winchester 231 powder (5.0gn powder) 131.99/8lb 1.2¢/round

Total per virgin round reloaded 27.2¢/round

Total with used brass 14.2¢/round

.45ACP 185gn JHP

Remington 185gn JHP $49.95/50 $1.00/round

Wolf Gold 185gn JHP $26.95/50 54¢/round

Starline virgin brass $159.99/1000 16¢/case

Remington 185gn JHP $366.99/2000 18.4¢/bullet

Remington 2 1/2 large pistol primer $30.49/1000 3¢/primer

Winchester 231 powder (5.5gn powder) 131.99/8lb 1.3¢/round

Total per virgin round reloaded 38.7¢/round

Total with used brass 22.7¢/round

Echoing other posts, unless you can afford to shoot matches and practice with factory ammo reloading will save you a ton of money. And if you're like most of us, once you get hooked on this sport you'll want to try other divisions like Limited, Open, etc. Factory ammo for these divisions can get real expensive. With reloading you can also tailor your loads, which I think is just a big a benefit as the cost savings. If you get a Dillon 550 you can load rifle calibers as well as pistol. If you look on this forum or even on other auction sites you can sometimes find a good deal on a used press. I paid $220 for my used 550 about 7-8 years ago and its been going strong ever since. Dillon has a no BS warranty policy, the best in the business. They'll repair or replace parts at no cost to you minus shipping.

Echoing other posts, unless you can afford to shoot matches and practice with factory ammo reloading will save you a ton of money. And if you're like most of us, once you get hooked on this sport you'll want to try other divisions like Limited, Open, etc. Factory ammo for these divisions can get real expensive. With reloading you can also tailor your loads, which I think is just a big a benefit as the cost savings. If you get a Dillon 550 you can load rifle calibers as well as pistol. If you look on this forum or even on other auction sites you can sometimes find a good deal on a used press. I paid $220 for my used 550 about 7-8 years ago and its been going strong ever since. Dillon has a no BS warranty policy, the best in the business. They'll repair or replace parts at no cost to you minus shipping.

I'm trying to decide on either the sdb or the 550. I don't have a rifle and being a college student I don't have the money for a AR type rifle and then the ammo on top of that so I'm trying to decide which one I should get for now. I go back and forth btwn the sdb and 550 every minute lol :blink:

From a totally different angle...What caliber and what type of gun?

If you are shooting a major caliber the difference in recoil can be substantial between factory and hand loaded ammunition.

I think most shooters find it easier to shoot a good hand load than factory as it can be "tailored" to fit your particular preference as to how the gun recoils.

I'm shooting a springfield xd9 (5" barrel). It's a 9mm

If 9mm in Production is your primary use, buy win or fed ball ammo at Walmart for $210/k including tax. Sell your once fired cases for $50/k. Your net will be around $ 160 or so. It will cost you $130-140 to load them. Take the time you would spend reloading and be dry firing instead.Reloading is not without its risks. Lose a finger or an eye in a primer explosion (very rare, but it does happen)or maybe just blow up a barrel or the whole gun and the savings of $30/k will look pretty small indeed. I have witnessed an M1 Garand receiver split open(slamfire from a soft primer), Colt 45 Gold Cup dust cover bent down where a squib was lodged in the barrel, Browning HiPower barrel and slide burst open and a Browning 525 O/U totally destroyed by a wad stuck in the forcing cone, another squib. All of these with reloads. I have never seen a gun ruined with a factory shell...just something to think about. I am not trying to rain on your parade. I do have a 450, 550 and 1050 in my basement that I use for calibers other tham 9mm, so I am not the Anti-Loader :D . Be safe and have fun in your shooting career.

I'm trying to decide on either the sdb or the 550. I don't have a rifle and being a college student I don't have the money for a AR type rifle and then the ammo on top of that so I'm trying to decide which one I should get for now. I go back and forth btwn the sdb and 550 every minute lol :blink:

I think that the 550 is the best choice unless you know for sure you will only ever want to reload that one pistol caliber.

I have never seen a gun ruined with a factory shell...just something to think about.

I have. I watched a shooter have a case head seperation in a .40 cal Glock that cracked the frame with factory ammo. One round was just enough hotter than the others to cause the drama. :(

Joe W.

From a totally different angle...What caliber and what type of gun?

If you are shooting a major caliber the difference in recoil can be substantial between factory and hand loaded ammunition.

I think most shooters find it easier to shoot a good hand load than factory as it can be "tailored" to fit your particular preference as to how the gun recoils.

I'm shooting a springfield xd9 (5" barrel). It's a 9mm

If 9mm in Production is your primary use, buy win or fed ball ammo at Walmart for $210/k including tax. Sell your once fired cases for $50/k. Your net will be around $ 160 or so. It will cost you $130-140 to load them. Take the time you would spend reloading and be dry firing instead.Reloading is not without its risks. Lose a finger or an eye in a primer explosion (very rare, but it does happen)or maybe just blow up a barrel or the whole gun and the savings of $30/k will look pretty small indeed. I have witnessed an M1 Garand receiver split open(slamfire from a soft primer), Colt 45 Gold Cup dust cover bent down where a squib was lodged in the barrel, Browning HiPower barrel and slide burst open and a Browning 525 O/U totally destroyed by a wad stuck in the forcing cone, another squib. All of these with reloads. I have never seen a gun ruined with a factory shell...just something to think about. I am not trying to rain on your parade. I do have a 450, 550 and 1050 in my basement that I use for calibers other tham 9mm, so I am not the Anti-Loader :D . Be safe and have fun in your shooting career.

Walmarts in the Bay Area Don't sell Ammo any more. Cheapest I can get 9mm ammo is at the local sporting good store when they have 9mm ammo on sale for $16/50

Walmarts in the Bay Area Don't sell Ammo any more. Cheapest I can get 9mm ammo is at the local sporting good store when they have 9mm ammo on sale for $16/50

Walmarts in ALAMEDA COUNTY don't sell ammo. The Walmarts in Mountain View, Milpitas and San Jose ALL sell ammo. Lately the shelves have been FULL of Federal 115 gr. FMJ @ $9.47/box of 50. Of course, this is subjet to change due to market conditions and the uncertainty of the implementation of AB962 in Feb. 2011. At that time you may be forced into buying a press.

It might be worth your while to make a few phone calls, take a drive down the 880, and buy all that you can afford. Use the ammo, save the brass and take your time to make the decision of what press is the right one for YOU. When you do buy the press, you will have a supply of brass to start out with and will not have spent any more money than you would have if you had bought your press right away.

Don't forget, in addition to the press, you'll also have to purchase a tumbler & media, a scale, dies, calipers and other supporting paraphernalia.

Good luck with your dilemma.

Jim