Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NV320 vs. TiteGroup

PBA2

Looking through the "pet 9mm minor load" post it seems that 17 shooters are using NV320 and 15 shooters are using TiteGroup making these two powders the favorites, although Solo and Universal also have close to 10 mentions per. My question is if NV320 and TiteGroup were the same price would that swing everyone to NV320 or do some actually prefer Titegroup for it's qualities no matter the cost? Just curious as I have never tried NV320 but have Titegroup. Just want to know if I'm missing out on something worth the extra money.

Thanks

Edited by PBA2

If the prices were the same and you could actually get VV powders on a regular basis I'd switch from titegroup to 320. But since its not and since you cant, titegroup it is for me! :) (im shooting a 45 btw)

I have used lots of Titegroup and lots of Solo 1000. I prefer the Solo quite a bit under my 130 and 147 moly's. It's a different recoil impulse that doesn't remind me of a firecracker going off like Titegroup. It doesn't smoke, and it fills the cases better making it nearly impossible to double charge. If I'm shooting jacketed or plated 124's I still use Titegroup though.

Get a pound of N320 (if you can find it) and give it a try. I personally wouldn't get myself hooked on a powder that is more expensive and often hard to find. I may try a pound to satisfy my curiosity one day, but I already have done all the hard work with something that I can order any old Saturday.

My question is if NV320 and TiteGroup were the same price would that swing everyone to TiteGroup or do some actually prefer Titegroup no matter the cost?

Might be misunderstanding you but N320 is more expensive than titegroup.

If cost were the same, it would be N320 for me. It's cleaner and doesn't smoke much with moly bullets. It also burns a lot cooler so I don't have to rotate pistols when running through my practice drills. 36 rounds of titegroup gets the bbl very hot.

For me, it would be N320, Solo, then Titegroup if they cost the same.

When I can get 320 and it ONLY costs twice as much as TG (thanks for getting me in on that last order, Sarge), I prefer that. As it is, if I can get 320, I'll use it for match loads. It's a trace softer and MUCH cleaner.

Decision to go with TG for most-of-the-time is based on $$. I couldn't get Solo to make minor out of a 4" XD without it feeling like a cannon. Same load isn't much better out of the 5" XD, much harsher than TG or N320. Solo under 147 gr feels a lot better.

N320 is my new powder of choice. It is cooler, cleaner and much more consistent than TG or S1000. Yes, I have used them all. 320 does not appear to be nearly as Temp sensitive as the others and the best part is my loads are extremely consistent and the ES and SD's are crazy low. My latest and greatest SD is 4.

And for the record, if you break down the cost of 320 to other common powders you will find it almost irrelevant. At 4.2 grains per round the cost is 1.3 cents each with 320 compared to .8 cents for the others. That works out to to only a five dollar difference per thousand I believe.

If you plan ahead you can stay well stocked of any powder you choose.

I use N320 for pretty much all my 9 and 40 loads now. It's cooler, cleaner, a touch softer and pretty much temperature neutral than almost any of the alternatives. I do have a bunch of Solo 1000, and it's pretty good, but the reverse temperature sensitivity thing is kind of a pain and it doesn't meter terribly well. I just buy several 4lb jugs of N320 at a time so I know I have enough for a year or so. Yeah, it's more expensive, but when I look at what I pay to shoot most big matches, and even some that are "local", it winds up being a pretty insignificant amount. R,

HUGE temperature difference. I can shoot substantially more 320 than TG. I also LOVE how clean it is... I think I could run 20,000 rounds of MG/320 before I HAD to clean it. I've gone 3500 a few times and its dirty, but not substantially so.

N320 is my new powder of choice. It is cooler, cleaner and much more consistent than TG or S1000. Yes, I have used them all. 320 does not appear to be nearly as Temp sensitive as the others and the best part is my loads are extremely consistent and the ES and SD's are crazy low. My latest and greatest SD is 4.

And for the record, if you break down the cost of 320 to other common powders you will find it almost irrelevant. At 4.2 grains per round the cost is 1.3 cents each with 320 compared to .8 cents for the others. That works out to to only a five dollar difference per thousand I believe.

If you plan ahead you can stay well stocked of any powder you choose.

Starting to sound like with all of the great reviews of N320 and the price breakdown per 1k doesn't seem too bad. I'm also gathering that N320 is more versatile do to lower temp? easier to use all around if you're going to use Moly's?

TG and Moly don't mix well. If you go to the FAQ page for Precision Bullets you will find it on the do not use list. N320 does make a good load for 9 mm and even better I think in 40. In the clean and cheap plus soft category I use WST in 9 mm and 40. It comes in 8# jugs and its less expensive than N320. WST is temp sensative and it has a larger ES and SD than either TiteGroup or N320 but 4.4-4.5gr with a 125gr moly in 9 mm set 1.140 will give you a nice 130pf load.

I tried N320 in 9 and .40 but always went back to Tightgroup when I shoot jacketed bullets. I tried Solo and wasn't impressed, I like Power Pistol, N340 and T.G. for accuracy in 9mm, and N320 and T.G. for .40. Depends on the bullet I'm shooting, no tightgroup with lead bullets though.

I tried N320 in 9 but always went back to Tightgroup when I shoot jacketed bullets.

Mind if I ask what you didn't like about the N320? Why did you

go back to TG?

Trying to decide if I should try either - I'm still stuck in the 80's

using WW231:((

Jack

My latest and greatest SD is 4.

Sweet. I've only ever managed a 5 with 147/N320. Obviously I need to tighten up those sloppy SDs of mine. :D

Yeah, you'd better get to work...lol. Once I put the proper baffle in my press I got an SD of 4 with my N320/9mm load. Any better than that is going to be really hard to obtain. R,

i'm starting to get components together for my press. is n320 something i should invest in? does anyone know where it's available online?

Powder Valley has it in stock right now...even the 4lb jugs. It's worth trying!

i'm starting to get components together for my press.

Well, it's about dang time, bud. Is that the same press you won at Double Tap...in March?? :lol:

When I started reloading I tested VV powders and still have some for occasional runs of 10mm. The problem for me was sporadic availability...it was enough of a hassle to find Federal primers: sure didn't want add a hard to find powder to the components quest.

So I've been using Titegroup for years. Yes, it is inversely temperature sensitive so not the best choice for those who plan to just eek by at chrono. Yes, it heats and gunks up my pistols more. But it works well enough for me for both 9mm and .40, is nearly always easy to find in 8# jugs and it simplifies my life. And a few dollars here and there adds up after 50K rounds or so.

Like the old folk song says, "Just gimme something I'm used to." :D

Curtis

To put numbers to it....50K worth of rounds with a typical N320 charge would be about 35lbs. At $10/lb more, we're talking $350 over what is likely a couple of years for most folks. So yeah, it adds up, but the question you have to ask is whether using something that you like less is worth $100 a year?

i'm starting to get components together for my press.

Well, it's about dang time, bud. Is that the same press you won at Double Tap...in March?? :lol:

When I started reloading I tested VV powders and still have some for occasional runs of 10mm. The problem for me was sporadic availability...it was enough of a hassle to find Federal primers: sure didn't want add a hard to find powder to the components quest.

So I've been using Titegroup for years. Yes, it is inversely temperature sensitive so not the best choice for those who plan to just eek by at chrono. Yes, it heats and gunks up my pistols more. But it works well enough for me for both 9mm and .40, is nearly always easy to find in 8# jugs and it simplifies my life. And a few dollars here and there adds up after 50K rounds or so.

Like the old folk song says, "Just gimme something I'm used to." :D

Curtis

Actually MS Classic in May but yes. :roflol: :roflol:

I would take what Darrel says to the bank. He has tested probably every powder known to man and has the results to prove it. If you want to "Keep up with the Jone's" then spend all the extra money on N320 or you can buy something else that works and buy more primers and bullets with the savings.

Thanks for all of the Great info guys. I'll be going to pick up 4# of N320 for myself tomorrow. I'll be making up some loads of 9mm to compare it with Titegroup, Universal Clays and HP38 which are some of the powders I currently have. hopefully I will have some info of my own to report soon! Thanks again