Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just go a new Droid X yesterday. I have been a Blackberry Storm user for a couple of years. Got tired of paying for apps.

What apps do you consider must have productivity apps (a PDF reader, something like Doc to Go for MS Word and Excel docs, etc). I am not a game player. I already have AppKiller, and the pro version of SHOOTER installed for long range rifle shooting.

Thanks

Mark K.

Googles You take a picture of an object or store and it pulls up info/reviews on whatever the photo is of. Doesn't work on everything but sure is cool when it does.

Googlesky Tells you what planet it is you are looking at. Just point it up in the sky at the stars.

Doubletwist Lets me download my Itunes onto the phone.

Pandora Music station. You enter the artist you like and it will play their tracks and tracks from similar artists.

Beautiful Widgets Lets you customize your widgets.

Practical Shooting Match Scoring Well, this one is self-explanatory. :-)

ShopsSavvy Scans barcodes of items you are looking at and gives you prices at other locations and reviews of the product.

Screenmode Lets you turn off the need to unlock your phone.

Car Mode Not sure if you need this on the X but on the Droid it makes all calls coming in as speaker phone calls.

That should get you started. Enjoy!!

News rob for RSS News, syncs to google news.

Tower defense to waste some time.

Adobe reader for PDF

Google voice to replace your Verizon voicemail.

Touchdown if you need real MS Exchange support.

Timeriffic is a must have. It lets me pre set all my notice volumes for any day of the week. I have it go into silent mode at 9 at night, back to full volume at 5AM and vibrate at 7:30 when the work day starts. I have a different set of times for the weekend. It also lets me change the color of the blinking LED based on the type of message I have. Like green for home email, blue for a text message, purple for a missed call etc ad it is free.

Astro for file managing

Better Keyboard lets me give my keyboard a Florida State University theme

Cam Card lets you snap a picture of a business card and it imports all the info to your contacts

Ringdroid lets you make a ring tone from any mp3 file

+1 Google voice to replace your Verizon voicemail.

I hate Verizon's voice mail

+1 Touchdown if you need real MS Exchange support.

Must have for getting more of your exchange features.

PDAnet - tether to your laptop/pc to use your phone as a modem if you're on the road

SlideIT - works just like swype, the text input program that set the world record in the commercial. It's free and it's available, unlike swype

ConvertPad - converts a ton of stuff such as volume, temperature, distance, etc

LED Light - uses the camera LED's as a flashlight, pretty nifty to have

Compass - heading, longitude/latitude, altitude, pitch, roll

GPS speedo - if your cars speedo craps out I suppose. It was spot on with my trucks speedo

Shooter - ballistics calculator if you do any long range shooting

Edited by tt350z

• 3 months later...

Lots of new stuff. I could burn a month of Sunday's browsing the app store...But these are the ones I find the most useful on a regualr basis.

Astro File Manager, is very good, once you figure out its functionality. I am not rooted and this gives you a lot of tools, all in one place, that include several that are recommended. It allows you to manage files, applications and tasks with a task killer, SD card usage, backup and restore, search and even read zip files. You can send files as attachments as well. Should have been the first app I downloaded and learned how to use. It has taught me a lot about the phone and how it works.

BarCode Scanner (works with Note Everything) allows you to scan media, products, music and even book covers using the camera, then search for price and location.

Dialer One, should have been the second app I loaded. After making quick keys for a bunch of contacts and trying to get them all organized, I find this. This should be the base dialer on the Droid! Allows you to search (T9 based) all of your contacts and then call, edit, e-mail, text, modify profiles etc. all from one app. Fast, intuitive and easy. After taking 30 minutes to set up all the quick dials, 1 minute to put them in the trash and use Dialer One exclusively.

Lookout, Three function protection software that has anti-virus, data backup and missing device finder/alarm. Very useful, especially if you are not careful.

MyTracks, uses wifi and GPS to record tracks, driving or hiking, including all of the normal types of data normally recorded on a handheld GPS. Waypoints, speed, etc.

Note Everything, If you are a note taker/planner, etc, then this is a must have. I tried about 6 before I settled on this one. I can draw pictures, make voices notes or text notes and then send them off. Also a note associated with a barcode and it links notes to Google Docs. I keep a running shopping list, Chrono data, a note for each vehicle maintainence etc. and I REALLY like it.

PoliceStream, 2 second delayed feeds from police channels all over the US. Can help you avoid a traffic jam or other area where there is some danger.

Remote Wave, allows several Android unsupported audio files to be played. I use this to listen to my voicemail messages from Microsoft outlook.

SportsTap by Mobile1Sports: Ultimate Sports portal. All sports in one place. Each major icon, when opened gives you the scores by day including the times and TV station. Local search gives you instant scores and idle teams for the day.

Swype, Finally loaded in Swype, although the Beta release has been discontinued and there is not an actual version for public release available right now. Searched and found a file, crossed my fingers and loaded it. Viola, a fast and accurate keyboard. It took me a few times to learn it, and it has a few quirks in some programs, like form fills, where you have to press next. Worth the time to find it.

TiKL, touch to talk. Uses the internet to make your droid a 2 way radio for persons who also have TiKL.

If you shoot rifle, Shooter is a must have as well.

Edited by MarkCO

Also, if you have become forgetful like I have try Taskos. It lets you use the voice function to add things to your to do list and then go in and set dates and times for completion. It will give you a reminder as needed and lets you set the importance level of the task. It runs as a widget on one of your home screens. Mine is on the main home screen and I'm always adding things to it.

Good thread as I pick up my Droid X tomorrow.

Is there an app that allows you to use apps that i have in i-tunes? I saw there was one for music.

Also, how are you guys liking it so far? anybody switch from an i-phone? is it as good?

I just picked up a droid x Friday...still loading all the apps you guys suggested.

I went with it over the 2 just because I didn't want the keyboard...but the size is pretty big on the x...and I'm used to the whole smart phone thing but this one is a whopper...but lighter than my storm I think.

Before I left the store I made sure to buy a hard plastic case...I'd trade a video camera for extra phone durability :angry:

So far it is pretty nice phone and seems to sound better on the other end too. My storm was always cutting out or muting.

Keep the suggestions coming on apps.

Hey- why does it keep announcing "verizon" every so often - that is annoying and I don't know why it does it.

Have had the Droid X for a week now and all I can say ia WOW. Until this I had a cell phone to use as a ......phone. Got texting too, which I had no idea could be so cool, even though my 11 yr old daughter kept telling me it was. Well the best most usefull tool for me is not even an app. It is the talk to type feature as typing the text for me sucks, and is time consuming. Very useful for searching the internet as well......why did I wait so long.

Thanks too all you guys who recomended apps. Keep them coming.

Oh, and Joel, check out the Sedio rugged case value pack. Its expensive, at $59.00 from Amazon but it is bombproof, and very configurable (basically its two cases in one) from minimum bump protection to dust and moisture resistant. I love it.

Edited by mpeltier